XP Update SP 1 & 2 Not working

April 6, 2005 6:17:02 PM

I am having trouble installing my SP 1 & 2 update packs. This comp was
purchased preowned through a friend. The server or otherwise is telling me
that my Version is not valid even though I have certificate etc. My question
lies therein : How do i get these update packets to properly install and/or
how can I switch the user information on my certificate?
--
Kristopher A. Ayers

More about : update working

Anonymous
April 6, 2005 8:00:58 PM

Kristopher;
Does this apply:
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/invalpk.htm
If not post back the exact error message.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

"Ragnar_43" <Ragnar43@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am having trouble installing my SP 1 & 2 update packs. This comp was
> purchased preowned through a friend. The server or otherwise is telling me
> that my Version is not valid even though I have certificate etc. My
> question
> lies therein : How do i get these update packets to properly install
> and/or
> how can I switch the user information on my certificate?
> --
> Kristopher A. Ayers
April 7, 2005 1:44:32 AM

It may be that you need to have SP1 or SP2 to use the update site. You don't
need to install both, installing SP2 will give you all the updates that were
in SP1 plus new ones.
Try downloading the full SP2 pack (it is 272Meg though) and install off you
hard drive.
"Windows SP2 for IT professionals"

Neil

"Ragnar_43" <Ragnar43@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am having trouble installing my SP 1 & 2 update packs. This comp was
> purchased preowned through a friend. The server or otherwise is telling me
> that my Version is not valid even though I have certificate etc. My
> question
> lies therein : How do i get these update packets to properly install
> and/or
> how can I switch the user information on my certificate?
> --
> Kristopher A. Ayers
April 7, 2005 6:01:03 AM

"Jupiter Jones [MVP]" wrote:

> Kristopher;
> Does this apply:
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/invalpk.htm
> If not post back the exact error message.
>
> -- having trouble finding wpae folder in this page of instructions. Otherwise The exact message is : Invalid Certificate: Windows was unable to install update SP1.
> > Kristopher A. Ayers

Anonymous
April 7, 2005 6:11:05 AM

"Cert is 55274-640-0000356-23474
Anonymous
April 7, 2005 8:12:26 PM

That is on the list as a blocked key.
It seems your friend has a stolen Windows XP Pro license installed on the
computer.
Contact the friend for the source of Windows XP and perhaps they can get
yours legitimate.
Otherwise you need to buy Windows XP Pro to keep your current data and
settings.
See the link in my other post for options.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]

!