XP Update SP 1 & 2 Not working

I am having trouble installing my SP 1 & 2 update packs. This comp was
purchased preowned through a friend. The server or otherwise is telling me
that my Version is not valid even though I have certificate etc. My question
lies therein : How do i get these update packets to properly install and/or
how can I switch the user information on my certificate?
--
Kristopher A. Ayers
5 answers Last reply

    Kristopher;
    Does this apply:
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/invalpk.htm
    If not post back the exact error message.

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

    "Ragnar_43" <Ragnar43@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I am having trouble installing my SP 1 & 2 update packs. This comp was
    > purchased preowned through a friend. The server or otherwise is telling me
    > that my Version is not valid even though I have certificate etc. My
    > question
    > lies therein : How do i get these update packets to properly install
    > and/or
    > how can I switch the user information on my certificate?
    > --
    > Kristopher A. Ayers

    It may be that you need to have SP1 or SP2 to use the update site. You don't
    need to install both, installing SP2 will give you all the updates that were
    in SP1 plus new ones.
    Try downloading the full SP2 pack (it is 272Meg though) and install off you
    hard drive.
    "Windows SP2 for IT professionals"
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en

    Neil

    "Jupiter Jones [MVP]" wrote:

    > Kristopher;
    > Does this apply:
    > http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/invalpk.htm
    > If not post back the exact error message.
    >
    > -- having trouble finding wpae folder in this page of instructions. Otherwise The exact message is : Invalid Certificate: Windows was unable to install update SP1.
    > > Kristopher A. Ayers

    "Cert is 55274-640-0000356-23474

    That is on the list as a blocked key.
    It seems your friend has a stolen Windows XP Pro license installed on the
    computer.
    Contact the friend for the source of Windows XP and perhaps they can get
    yours legitimate.
    Otherwise you need to buy Windows XP Pro to keep your current data and
    settings.
    See the link in my other post for options.

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]

    > "Cert is 55274-640-0000356-23474

Certificate Windows XP