Spphire Radeon 9600 Pro problems

PainNose

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2004
Hi.

I have bourght a Sapphire ATI Radeon 9600 Pro. I have the "tiny" problem, that my graphics card doesn't work. When I try to render any 3d-graphics it stops rendering graphics within few seconds (usually 1 second), with the message, that it has stopped responding.

Yoy can see the precise message on www.kr-data.dk/error.jpg

What can I do. I have tried with elder versions of the driver. Format c:. change of nearly all settings. Disabling the VPU Recover utility.

My system:

Current driver version: 3.10
Tried versions: 3.8 (and two more, can't remember witch)
CPU: Intel P4 2.8 GHz
Motherboard: Abit IC7 Max 3
Ram: 512 mb Kingston
DirectX: 9.0b

Please help me.

Well I don't know for sure based on language of error message, but have you tried disabling FASTWRITES?

Give that a shot and reply back if it works/or not.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

I don't know. It does seem to be a recent thing for alot of the R9600 series cards and only on some MOBOs. Veru strange, but usually something that people don't consider. Yes I'd love to keep them on, but as it's a very recent source of headache, I don't miss it for the minimal gain, but big diff in stability for me. I try each new series with and without Fastwrites, but no go.

I'm going to do the Omega tests today (sorta in the middle of it, took a heck of a long time to get the Omegas from DriverHeaven). And I think before I start I will finally take the DEC release of the VIA 4n1 and see if that helps.

Now I just say 'did you try disablign Fastwrites?' although I wouldn't recommend it for people who don't have a problem with it, as it is a benificial thing.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

GeneticWeapon

Splendid
Jan 13, 2003
I'm using the newest Omega's myself, but I dont download from driverhaven because their server is barely keeping up with the load. There are other download links, and they are all twenty times faster then the DH link. I switched again to the Omega's because I was getting a strange message when starting games like Halo(demo)...it said something like.. "Could not initiate direct 3d...check direct x dialog to be sure that direct x acceleration is enabled"... that was the message. I installed DX9b and Cat3.10's over and over to no avail, but the Omega's fixed everything.
This was the first time I've ever had a problem with standard Catalyst drivers.

<b>I help because you suck</b>

Hmm, strange. Yeah never had that problem. Fastwrites is my first/only problem with the standard CATs.

I usually get fast downlaods from DH, but I guess it was usually after a Fri/Sat night at 3am when the volume was low. I wasn't in a rush so I though, oh well, whatever (went back to football game).

If it happens in the future, then yes definitely go elsewhere. There's lots copies out there.

KWPLunchbox

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2003
Heh, so does that make me the exception that everything works just fine with stock CAT 3.10 drivers and fastwrites on? Even upgrading from a nVidia Geforce 3 and not wiping clean, just uninstalled the old drivers, and I haven't had a single crash. Counterstrike(Steam), Call of Duty, UT2003, Max Payne 2, Tiger Woods 2004, NFS Underground, Tron 2.0, BF1942, and so on. No problems.

<font color=purple>AMD XP 2500+ @ 3200+/200, A7N8X Dlx, 512mb PC3200 Corsair XMS DDR, ATi 9800Pro, Audigy Platinum, 2/5 TB of storage, TDK 48x CDRW, Lite-On 16x DVD, XP Pro SP1, and more neon than a ghetto sled

No, the Fastwrites issue does seem to be mainly an R9600PRo 'new issue', but can affect other cards (why most tweak drivers recommend you turn it off or have it off by default).
GW has no problems with it, same with a bunch of people (Kinney's problem wasn't FW).

Everyone's experience is different. Some people with your MOBO have had problems with 8X AGP, some people with the Audigy had problems with EAX and COD, it's all a matter of a good batch of hardware, keeping things updated and a sprinkle of luck. Heck the FW issue is the ONLY problem I've had other than stuff I've brought upon myself. I would've been the exact same as you up until that happened. Maybe your turn is with CAT 3.11 :wink: .

KWPLunchbox

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2003
That's good to hear. It was starting to sound like there was an epidemic going on. And you're probably right, whatever ATi does to fix the 9600 issue will screw up the 9800's. Heh. And BTW Ape, I think Kevin Mitnick would challenge your signature.<g>

<font color=purple>AMD XP 2500+ @ 3200+/200, A7N8X Dlx, 512mb PC3200 Corsair XMS DDR, ATi 9800Pro, Audigy Platinum, 2/5 TB of storage, TDK 48x CDRW, Lite-On 16x DVD, XP Pro SP1, and more neon than a ghetto sled

LOL!

Yeah but Mitnick CAN use a computer again.

BTW, I just updated the MOBO BIOS and it appears that that has fixed my Fastwrites issue. I wonder why, since it worked with old Catalysts. I have a feeling that as Gigabyte come out with more KT400/600 based boards that they code for the latest versions, and somehow that F'ed up my setup (updating BIOS was a pain due to no floppy, and the only online version I could flash through Windows was F10 which crashed my system). Anywhoo, I tried the new F12, with the sincere belief that I would have to use my dual BIOS to recover another failed flash. But surprise surprise, other than the BIOS being set to make PCI the primary display device, no problems.

I tell you this whole driver/bios/etc. hings is getting to be annoyingly complicated. Main thing, try and keep everything as updated as possible. Sometimes the latest Catalysts and VIA 4n1 hyperion drivers just isn't enough.
Freakin' Annoying. Just upgraded my Audigy drivers last month too!

PainNose

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2004
HI

I have tried to disable FastWrites (though a bad tranlation from english to danish :/ made some difficulties). I didn't work. All my drivers are the latest version, incfluding my bios.

Any other ideas?

I just PM'd you (didn't see a reply here when you PM'd me).

I would dtrongly recommend checking out <A HREF="http://www.rage3d.com/board/index.php" target="_new">Rage3D's Forum</A> and asking there.

Be sure to mention what 3D rendering program it is,. I would suggest also searching there and in Google using the program you are having trouble with.

Sorry, it's hard to diagnose a problem long distance, and it seems you've done alot of the ground work already, so not much else to add.