Multiple instances of iexplorer.exe in process list.

When browsing sites that do not generate pop-ups, i often see only one
instance of iexplorer.exe on the running process list.

After visiting sites that often produce pop-ups (I use PopUpCop for
blocking), i will often see several instances of iexplorer.exe.

Is this normal? and if not how do I prevent it.

Thanks
3 answers Last reply
More about multiple instances iexplorer process list

    In news:30FFE01D-C986-4103-94CE-ECA0C28BC44E@microsoft.com,
    mspencerco <mspencerco@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

    > When browsing sites that do not generate pop-ups, i often see only one
    > instance of iexplorer.exe on the running process list.
    >
    > After visiting sites that often produce pop-ups (I use PopUpCop for
    > blocking), i will often see several instances of iexplorer.exe.
    >
    > Is this normal? and if not how do I prevent it.
    >
    > Thanks

    Yes it's normal. If there's more than one instance of IE running you'll see
    multiple processes listed. Update to SP2 and you'll have a handy dandy popup
    controller already built into the browser for you. It can be set to high
    and, amazingly, supports the de facto standard of holding the CTRL key to
    allow sites access and has added bonuses of being able to add sites to
    exclude and allow popups from.

    Galen

    Ok, then let me ask this, how long should those instances of iexplorer.exe
    stay in memory after shutting down all windows of Internet Explorer. I have
    left my computer on all day (for the benefit of distributed apps like Climate
    Prediction and Setiathome) and still see the instances when I get home and
    check.

    I know about the SP2 pop-up blocker and like Popupcop better so I'll keep
    that.

    Mike

    In news:C7E95E2D-ED7B-45E9-804C-05FCF361428F@microsoft.com,
    mspencerco <mspencerco@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

    > Ok, then let me ask this, how long should those instances of
    > iexplorer.exe stay in memory after shutting down all windows of
    > Internet Explorer. I have left my computer on all day (for the
    > benefit of distributed apps like Climate Prediction and Setiathome)
    > and still see the instances when I get home and check.
    >
    > I know about the SP2 pop-up blocker and like Popupcop better so I'll
    > keep that.
    >
    > Mike

    They should close immediately under normal circumstances. It's possible that
    your popup blocker isn't really blocking them but rather hiding them from
    view. I have an application here that I use, it's called TrojanHunter, and
    in the tools with it there's the chance to see all open windows even the
    ones that you'd not normally see. You could try that or to find some
    freeware alternative (I don't know of one but the application I mentioned
    does have a trial period that you can use to check it out) to make hidden
    windows appear.

    Galen

Support Microsoft Windows XP