Multiple instances of iexplorer.exe in process list.

April 6, 2005 7:03:03 PM

When browsing sites that do not generate pop-ups, i often see only one
instance of iexplorer.exe on the running process list.

After visiting sites that often produce pop-ups (I use PopUpCop for
blocking), i will often see several instances of iexplorer.exe.

Is this normal? and if not how do I prevent it.

Thanks
April 6, 2005 10:54:02 PM

In news:30FFE01D-C986-4103-94CE-ECA0C28BC44E@microsoft.com,
mspencerco <mspencerco@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> When browsing sites that do not generate pop-ups, i often see only one
> instance of iexplorer.exe on the running process list.
>
> After visiting sites that often produce pop-ups (I use PopUpCop for
> blocking), i will often see several instances of iexplorer.exe.
>
> Is this normal? and if not how do I prevent it.
>
> Thanks

Yes it's normal. If there's more than one instance of IE running you'll see
multiple processes listed. Update to SP2 and you'll have a handy dandy popup
controller already built into the browser for you. It can be set to high
and, amazingly, supports the de facto standard of holding the CTRL key to
allow sites access and has added bonuses of being able to add sites to
exclude and allow popups from.

Galen
April 7, 2005 3:25:04 PM

Ok, then let me ask this, how long should those instances of iexplorer.exe
stay in memory after shutting down all windows of Internet Explorer. I have
left my computer on all day (for the benefit of distributed apps like Climate
Prediction and Setiathome) and still see the instances when I get home and
check.

I know about the SP2 pop-up blocker and like Popupcop better so I'll keep
that.

Mike

"Galen" wrote:

> In news:30FFE01D-C986-4103-94CE-ECA0C28BC44E@microsoft.com,
> mspencerco <mspencerco@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> > When browsing sites that do not generate pop-ups, i often see only one
> > instance of iexplorer.exe on the running process list.
> >
> > After visiting sites that often produce pop-ups (I use PopUpCop for
> > blocking), i will often see several instances of iexplorer.exe.
> >
> > Is this normal? and if not how do I prevent it.
> >
> > Thanks
>
> Yes it's normal. If there's more than one instance of IE running you'll see
> multiple processes listed. Update to SP2 and you'll have a handy dandy popup
> controller already built into the browser for you. It can be set to high
> and, amazingly, supports the de facto standard of holding the CTRL key to
> allow sites access and has added bonuses of being able to add sites to
> exclude and allow popups from.
>
> Galen
> --
> Signature changed for a moment of silence.
> Rest well Alex and we'll see you on the other side.

April 8, 2005 2:47:51 AM

In news:C7E95E2D-ED7B-45E9-804C-05FCF361428F@microsoft.com,
mspencerco <mspencerco@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> Ok, then let me ask this, how long should those instances of
> iexplorer.exe stay in memory after shutting down all windows of
> Internet Explorer. I have left my computer on all day (for the
> benefit of distributed apps like Climate Prediction and Setiathome)
> and still see the instances when I get home and check.
>
> I know about the SP2 pop-up blocker and like Popupcop better so I'll
> keep that.
>
> Mike

They should close immediately under normal circumstances. It's possible that
your popup blocker isn't really blocking them but rather hiding them from
view. I have an application here that I use, it's called TrojanHunter, and
in the tools with it there's the chance to see all open windows even the
ones that you'd not normally see. You could try that or to find some
freeware alternative (I don't know of one but the application I mentioned
does have a trial period that you can use to check it out) to make hidden
windows appear.

Galen