Color of font on file and folder names changed

For some unknown reason, the color of the font on the names of some files
and folders has changed from the regular black to bright blue. Could
someone please tell me why this has happened and how to change it back? I'd
appreciate your help. Thanks!

Blue text means that those files/folders are compressed.

By default, files in the root directory are compressed automatically.

Before you change those files/folders back read the first link...

File compression overview
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/ff_file_compress_overview.mspx

To compress an NTFS drive
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/windows_fcab_compress_volume.mspx

To compress a file or folder on an NTFS drive
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/windows_fcab_compress_file.mspx

If you want to change those files/folders back...

1. Open My Computer

2. Right-click the drive you want to compress.

3. Click Properties.

4. On the General tab, UNSelect the Compress drive to save disk space check
box, and then click OK.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:%23TtxjpvOFHA.1040@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
Pam <per1818@nospam.planttel.net> hunted and pecked:
> For some unknown reason, the color of the font on the names of some files
> and folders has changed from the regular black to bright blue. Could
> someone please tell me why this has happened and how to change it back?
> I'd appreciate your help. Thanks!

Thank you so very much, Wes. I followed your directions, and my computer
looks normal again. I have no idea as to how these files and folders got
compressed. With no more than I know about technical stuff, I certainly
didn't compress them. At least, not intentionally. I've printed your reply
for future reference. Thanks again! .....Pam
> Blue text means that those files/folders are compressed.
>
> By default, files in the root directory are compressed automatically.
>
> Before you change those files/folders back read the first link...
>
> File compression overview
> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/ff_file_compress_overview.mspx
>
> To compress an NTFS drive
> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/windows_fcab_compress_volume.mspx
>
> To compress a file or folder on an NTFS drive
> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/windows_fcab_compress_file.mspx
>
> If you want to change those files/folders back...
>
> 1. Open My Computer
>
> 2. Right-click the drive you want to compress.
>
> 3. Click Properties.
>
> 4. On the General tab, UNSelect the Compress drive to save disk space
> check
> box, and then click OK.
>

> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:%23TtxjpvOFHA.1040@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
> Pam <per1818@nospam.planttel.net> hunted and pecked:
>> For some unknown reason, the color of the font on the names of some files
>> and folders has changed from the regular black to bright blue. Could
>> someone please tell me why this has happened and how to change it back?
>> I'd appreciate your help. Thanks!

Pam,

You'd be surprised as to how things get changed accidentally. Or maybe not.

Keep having fun. :)

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes