XP boot delay - WIA hangs on starting

April 6, 2005 9:54:53 PM

I suddenly started experiencing a long delay when I boot my Win XP Pro (SP2)
machine . It is a Dell 3.0 Gig cpu, 1 Gig memory machine.

For the past year, up until two days ago, it booted in about 1.5 minutes.
But the next and subsequent boots, it gets as far as showing the wallpaper
then hangs there for about 4 minutes. At this point there is nothing on the
screen except the wallpaper. At the end of the 4 minutes the taskbar and
desktop icons appear and the boot process continues normally. Once it has
completely booted everything appears to work normally.

I examined the Event Log and found only one oddity. Early in the boot
process --about the time the wallpaper appears -- the log records this: "The
Windows Image Acquisition (WIA) service hung on starting." 4 minutes later
the Event Log reports that the WIA service entered the running state.

The only recent system modifying events that I can recall are: 1) I
installed the latest JAVA runtime (JRE) from Sun. 2) Symantec's LiveUpdate
installed an updated LiveUpdate program. I have Symantec's WinFax Pro and
Norton Utilities, but not any of their anti-virus or firewall stuff.

I have seen references where there were problems with WIA and certain
scanner and printer drivers. However, my scanner and printer work fine
after the computer finally boots. Aslo, I have not updated any of their
drivers.

Does anyone have a suggestions how I might solve my slow boot problem?

- David Harper

More about : boot delay wia hangs starting

Anonymous
April 6, 2005 9:54:54 PM

Stop and disable the WIA service in Services.msc.

Set the WIA service back to Automatic or Manual and start it before you use
your scanner.

Downside is you will have a boatload of Event Source: DCOM Event ID: 10005
errors in the Event Viewer.

And I mean a boatload.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:uU90nuvOFHA.2356@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
David Harper <dharper@houston.rr.com> hunted and pecked:
> I suddenly started experiencing a long delay when I boot my Win XP Pro
> (SP2) machine . It is a Dell 3.0 Gig cpu, 1 Gig memory machine.
>
> For the past year, up until two days ago, it booted in about 1.5 minutes.
> But the next and subsequent boots, it gets as far as showing the wallpaper
> then hangs there for about 4 minutes. At this point there is nothing on
> the screen except the wallpaper. At the end of the 4 minutes the taskbar
> and desktop icons appear and the boot process continues normally. Once
> it has completely booted everything appears to work normally.
>
> I examined the Event Log and found only one oddity. Early in the boot
> process --about the time the wallpaper appears -- the log records this:
> "The Windows Image Acquisition (WIA) service hung on starting." 4
> minutes later the Event Log reports that the WIA service entered the
> running state.
>
> The only recent system modifying events that I can recall are: 1) I
> installed the latest JAVA runtime (JRE) from Sun. 2) Symantec's
> LiveUpdate installed an updated LiveUpdate program. I have Symantec's
> WinFax Pro and Norton Utilities, but not any of their anti-virus or
> firewall stuff.
>
> I have seen references where there were problems with WIA and certain
> scanner and printer drivers. However, my scanner and printer work fine
> after the computer finally boots. Aslo, I have not updated any of their
> drivers.
>
> Does anyone have a suggestions how I might solve my slow boot problem?
>
> - David Harper
Anonymous
April 7, 2005 4:27:00 PM

> Stop and disable the WIA service in Services.msc.
>
> Set the WIA service back to Automatic or Manual and start it before you
> use
> your scanner.
>
> Downside is you will have a boatload of Event Source: DCOM Event ID:
> 10005
> errors in the Event Viewer.
>
> And I mean a boatload.

Thanks for your reply. As I mentioned in my original post I am having no
problems with my scanner or printer. My only problem is the long boot time.
The Event Log shows that the WIA service eventually starts. This occurs
about 4 minutes after the event message that says it hug on starting.

I am still trying to solve this problem.

- David Harper

> In news:uU90nuvOFHA.2356@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
> David Harper <dharper@houston.rr.com> hunted and pecked:
>> I suddenly started experiencing a long delay when I boot my Win XP Pro
>> (SP2) machine . It is a Dell 3.0 Gig cpu, 1 Gig memory machine.
>>
>> For the past year, up until two days ago, it booted in about 1.5 minutes.
>> But the next and subsequent boots, it gets as far as showing the
>> wallpaper
>> then hangs there for about 4 minutes. At this point there is nothing on
>> the screen except the wallpaper. At the end of the 4 minutes the taskbar
>> and desktop icons appear and the boot process continues normally. Once
>> it has completely booted everything appears to work normally.
>>
>> I examined the Event Log and found only one oddity. Early in the boot
>> process --about the time the wallpaper appears -- the log records this:
>> "The Windows Image Acquisition (WIA) service hung on starting." 4
>> minutes later the Event Log reports that the WIA service entered the
>> running state.
>>
>> The only recent system modifying events that I can recall are: 1) I
>> installed the latest JAVA runtime (JRE) from Sun. 2) Symantec's
>> LiveUpdate installed an updated LiveUpdate program. I have Symantec's
>> WinFax Pro and Norton Utilities, but not any of their anti-virus or
>> firewall stuff.
>>
>> I have seen references where there were problems with WIA and certain
>> scanner and printer drivers. However, my scanner and printer work fine
>> after the computer finally boots. Aslo, I have not updated any of their
>> drivers.
>>
>> Does anyone have a suggestions how I might solve my slow boot problem?
>>
>> - David Harper

April 7, 2005 7:31:24 PM

Have fun solving it. :-)

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:o G95e.38731$ij5.15276@tornado.texas.rr.com,
David Harper <dharper@houston.rr.com> hunted and pecked:
>> Stop and disable the WIA service in Services.msc.
>>
>> Set the WIA service back to Automatic or Manual and start it before you
>> use
>> your scanner.
>>
>> Downside is you will have a boatload of Event Source: DCOM Event ID:
>> 10005
>> errors in the Event Viewer.
>>
>> And I mean a boatload.
>
> Thanks for your reply. As I mentioned in my original post I am having no
> problems with my scanner or printer. My only problem is the long boot
> time. The Event Log shows that the WIA service eventually starts. This
> occurs about 4 minutes after the event message that says it hug on
> starting.
>
> I am still trying to solve this problem.
>
> - David Harper
>
>> In news:uU90nuvOFHA.2356@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
>> David Harper <dharper@houston.rr.com> hunted and pecked:
>>> I suddenly started experiencing a long delay when I boot my Win XP Pro
>>> (SP2) machine . It is a Dell 3.0 Gig cpu, 1 Gig memory machine.
>>>
>>> For the past year, up until two days ago, it booted in about 1.5
>>> minutes. But the next and subsequent boots, it gets as far as showing
>>> the wallpaper
>>> then hangs there for about 4 minutes. At this point there is nothing on
>>> the screen except the wallpaper. At the end of the 4 minutes the
>>> taskbar and desktop icons appear and the boot process continues
>>> normally. Once it has completely booted everything appears to work
>>> normally.
>>>
>>> I examined the Event Log and found only one oddity. Early in the boot
>>> process --about the time the wallpaper appears -- the log records this:
>>> "The Windows Image Acquisition (WIA) service hung on starting." 4
>>> minutes later the Event Log reports that the WIA service entered the
>>> running state.
>>>
>>> The only recent system modifying events that I can recall are: 1) I
>>> installed the latest JAVA runtime (JRE) from Sun. 2) Symantec's
>>> LiveUpdate installed an updated LiveUpdate program. I have Symantec's
>>> WinFax Pro and Norton Utilities, but not any of their anti-virus or
>>> firewall stuff.
>>>
>>> I have seen references where there were problems with WIA and certain
>>> scanner and printer drivers. However, my scanner and printer work fine
>>> after the computer finally boots. Aslo, I have not updated any of their
>>> drivers.
>>>
>>> Does anyone have a suggestions how I might solve my slow boot problem?
>>>
>>> - David Harper
Anonymous
April 24, 2005 11:22:01 PM

"jazzman" <jazzman.1o04ez@no-mx.forums.iamnotageek.com> wrote in message

> Set WIA to manual in the administrator services... and all will be well
> :)

My Windows Image Acquisition (WIA) was set to "Automatic". I changed it to
"Manual" and rebooted. Still got the 4 minute delay, but this time WIA did
not show up in the Event Log with an error.

However.... I frequently use Internet Explorer's Address History down arrow
to go to recently visited sites. The history list of URLs now take over 2
minutes to drop down. This only happens the first time I try it. Subsequent
times I try it, either in the same browser window, or a different one, it
drops downs instantly, as usual.

This was the result of changing WIA from "Automatic". To "Manual"! Changing
it back to "Automatic" fixed the 2 minute delay in dropping down Explorer's
Address History. How bizarre.

I still have a 4 minute boot.

- David
November 10, 2008 1:55:45 PM

Anyone ever solve this? I'm having a similar sounding issue.

June 13, 2011 1:47:24 PM

I have had the same problem but have solved it a different way. The WAI service was still being called for whether I had set it as Automatic, Manual or disabled. So I looked for the application that was calling WIA in the first place.

To do this open up Services either from control panel or just enter services.msc into the windows 'Run command' box. When you have selected the Windws Image Acquisition service, choose the "Dependencies" tab. In there you will see what is calling the service in the first place. disable that and your problems will be gone. In my case it was a camera driver for a camera we n longer have.

I hope this helps and good luck!

JB
June 13, 2011 2:14:56 PM

mikedboyd said:
Anyone ever solve this? I'm having a similar sounding issue.

A quick way it to hit START>RUN> type MSCONFIG toggle to the tab labeled Startup. Then see what is starting up...uncheck the ones you know you dont want. I have 3 that I want and you will be surprised what you dont need at startup. The other is my CPU optimizer and then another antispyware malware program...
You could uncheck 1 at a time restart and see or google or bing with this "do I need____ to start in startup? on my computer with XP, Vista, 7etc whatever your version.
This will speed up start up drastically.
CCleaner has a tool that cleans your free space under tools called driver wiper...free. Very Very good must have. I suggest that after you do the above that you then defrag your computer as you will be surprised on how much that will help.
CCcleaner is affiliated with Piriform and has another product called Defraggler with quickly defrags and is free also..you can quickly selectively defrag or do an over all defrag.
I am not affiliated with Piriform but I suggest there products as they are good free tools.
Let me know if this helps. Good luck.
!