HDD DMA enable on WinXP

Hi!

Please, is there anyone who could advice, how to enable the HDD DMA on
WinXPPro?

On the old Win98 days I did make all this at the Device Manager on the Hard
or CD Disk window on the fly, but not anymore ... I may have understand
something somehow confused, but let's see ...

On my Compaq PIII/650MHz on the mobo there is an Intel 82371AB/EB IDE chip,
and the 10GB HDD has got the Generic IDE Disk type <7 driver for it's
operation.

But, on the WinXPPro Device Manager there isn't anymore any option to enable
the DMA for the HDD ... So, how to consider this?

And further, what all this has to do with the HDD UDMA level?

Thanks in advance for any comments or advice on this.

Best regards,

Pete V.
3 answers Last reply
More about enable winxp

    With that board that uses intel chipsets,with a P3,you should download
    intels application accelerator version 2.3,you'll find it at thier download
    page,chip sets,software.You should 1st install thier chipset installation
    utility,then accelerator.Once installed,open the utility,properties for the
    hd,
    double click on DMA and PIO one at a time,you can adjust thru available
    settings.

    "PeteV" wrote:

    > Hi!
    >
    > Please, is there anyone who could advice, how to enable the HDD DMA on
    > WinXPPro?
    >
    > On the old Win98 days I did make all this at the Device Manager on the Hard
    > or CD Disk window on the fly, but not anymore ... I may have understand
    > something somehow confused, but let's see ...
    >
    > On my Compaq PIII/650MHz on the mobo there is an Intel 82371AB/EB IDE chip,
    > and the 10GB HDD has got the Generic IDE Disk type <7 driver for it's
    > operation.
    >
    > But, on the WinXPPro Device Manager there isn't anymore any option to enable
    > the DMA for the HDD ... So, how to consider this?
    >
    > And further, what all this has to do with the HDD UDMA level?
    >

    > Thanks in advance for any comments or advice on this.
    >

    > Best regards,
    >
    > Pete V.

    Hi!

    Thank you Andrew E. for your lightning-prompt reply!

    I think, this is just the thing I was missing for this ...

    I'll try this procedure tomorrow, when once again being at that machine, and
    will come back with some comment.

    Best regards,

    Pete V.
    M.Sc.(IT)
    Helsinki, Finland

    "Andrew E." wrote:

    > With that board that uses intel chipsets,with a P3,you should download
    > intels application accelerator version 2.3,you'll find it at thier download
    > page,chip sets,software.You should 1st install thier chipset installation
    > utility,then accelerator.Once installed,open the utility,properties for the
    > hd,
    > double click on DMA and PIO one at a time,you can adjust thru available
    > settings.
    >
    > "PeteV" wrote:
    >
    > > Hi!
    > >
    > > Please, is there anyone who could advice, how to enable the HDD DMA on
    > > WinXPPro?
    > >
    > > On the old Win98 days I did make all this at the Device Manager on the Hard
    > > or CD Disk window on the fly, but not anymore ... I may have understand
    > > something somehow confused, but let's see ...
    > >
    > > On my Compaq PIII/650MHz on the mobo there is an Intel 82371AB/EB IDE chip,
    > > and the 10GB HDD has got the Generic IDE Disk type <7 driver for it's
    > > operation.
    > >
    > > But, on the WinXPPro Device Manager there isn't anymore any option to enable
    > > the DMA for the HDD ... So, how to consider this?
    > >
    > > And further, what all this has to do with the HDD UDMA level?
    > >

    > > Thanks in advance for any comments or advice on this.
    > >

    > > Best regards,
    > >
    > > Pete V.

    Hi!

    Yes, I checked and installed the named Intel Utilities, but sorry, the
    Accelerator do not support the Intel 82371 chipsets, of which type 82371EB is
    on my Compaq mobo ...

    But, I also found on MS pages an article
    http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/storage/IDE-DMA.mspx
    regarding just this DMA enable thing, which I was after, and checked the
    settings according to it, and everything seemed OK.

    As a conclusion, I didn't get anything "accelerated" with all this, my
    ST320014A disk would support up to UDMA5, but the mobo/chipset just UDMA2,
    i.e. the tested transfer rate did remain on the avg. 16MB/s level as also
    previously, what a pity ...

    Best regards,

    Pete V.

    "Andrew E." wrote:

    > With that board that uses intel chipsets,with a P3,you should download
    > intels application accelerator version 2.3,you'll find it at thier download
    > page,chip sets,software.You should 1st install thier chipset installation
    > utility,then accelerator.Once installed,open the utility,properties for the
    > hd,
    > double click on DMA and PIO one at a time,you can adjust thru available
    > settings.
    >
    > "PeteV" wrote:
    >
    > > Hi!
    > >
    > > Please, is there anyone who could advice, how to enable the HDD DMA on
    > > WinXPPro?
    > >
    > > On the old Win98 days I did make all this at the Device Manager on the Hard
    > > or CD Disk window on the fly, but not anymore ... I may have understand
    > > something somehow confused, but let's see ...
    > >
    > > On my Compaq PIII/650MHz on the mobo there is an Intel 82371AB/EB IDE chip,
    > > and the 10GB HDD has got the Generic IDE Disk type <7 driver for it's
    > > operation.
    > >
    > > But, on the WinXPPro Device Manager there isn't anymore any option to enable
    > > the DMA for the HDD ... So, how to consider this?
    > >
    > > And further, what all this has to do with the HDD UDMA level?
    > >

    > > Thanks in advance for any comments or advice on this.
    > >

    > > Best regards,
    > >
    > > Pete V.

DMA Hard Drives Device Manager Windows XP