New slot, not PCI or AGP

blackphoenix77

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2004
About a month ago I remember downloading and watching a movie about a new slot for graphics cards. It wasn't PCI or AGP...it was PCI something, I can't remember. But it was supposed to be faster. Did anyone else see this? Is it supposed to come out soon?

My Rig:
AthlonXP 2000+ 1.677ghz
GeForce Verto FX5200 128mb DDR
Maxtor 7200RPM 80GB, Stock 40gb
Kingston 384MB DDR
Cendyne 52x24x52 CD-RW
Lite-On 4x DVD-RW
Go EMachines...:(

Vapor

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
Also could have been PCI-X, which is used in servers and workstations. Replaces PCI bus, however, not AGP.

Maxtor disgraces the six letters that make Matrox.

No, I'd think it was PCI-EX, as PCI-X has been out for a while. So the only one 'coming out soon' (cause it's SOoo Gay! :eek: ), is the PCI-EX. Although he could have been watching a very old video. :wink:

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

Vapor

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
Oops! I didn't see the whole: "for graphics cards" snippit. Yeah, PCI-EX is what he is talking about then, the only PCI-X card I know of is the Parhelia PCI 256MB--it ain't exactly 'the future' either.

Maxtor disgraces the six letters that make Matrox.

blackphoenix77

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2004
Yeah, I guess that was it. It was faster because it had a shorter path to the processor or something...hopefully its cheap and works well :)

My Rig:
AthlonXP 2000+ 1.677ghz
GeForce Verto FX5200 128mb DDR
Maxtor 7200RPM 80GB, Stock 40gb
Kingston 384MB DDR
Cendyne 52x24x52 CD-RW
Lite-On 4x DVD-RW
Go EMachines...:(

ComradeMishkin

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2003
I don't know why so many people don't seem to have amuch faith in PCI-EX. I have browsed the net for a bit and watched the presentation video by Nvidia (available on its' site) and it seems to have quite a potential. It might take some time to tweak it to it's optimum, but I think it will do just fine.

http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1087

(sorry for not being a clicky, don't know how to do that)

The main reason is because people are thinkng of it as the same as an AGP slot, and therefore don't see the need for what may appear to be just 16X AGP. There are more benifits to PCI-EX than that. And hopefully once the bandwidth is enough this will open up other opportunities that may finally have the speed to be used. We shall see. 16X Grapgic PCI-EX comes out first, followed by 32X (likely sometime next year).

<A HREF="http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1087" target="_new">Clicky Link</A>

(you can do it by using the [ and ] in the following manner (replaced with < and>)

<url> http://www.link.com </url>

for name instead of url (like above) <url=http://www.link.com> Clicky </url>

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

UNSoldierPT

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2003
Mmmmm just wondering... how many times do we have to deal with these unfair corporation games in which our pockets are going to bleed. "PCI-EX" = "Put Cash In thE eXecutives'" accounts. FUQ them.

PS: sorry guys, I just had a difficult day at work

If you don't want it you don't have to buy it. AGP won't disappear until mid 2005.

For those of us who want more for our buck this is great. You may be happy with a P3 with PCI graphics. But personally I want more, for less, that works better.

Paying more for the same thing would bug me. Developments like this mean that for the same price as an AGP card you will have a PCI-EX one. Unless they were charging you more for crummy product then we all benifit. Just like the R9700/9800 sells for the same or less than a GF4ti 4600 did 12-18 months ago (and some places still sells for those prices).

Alot of people get their panties in a bunch with the pace of change in technology (and graphics is now one of the fastest moving), but really it benifits us all, as long as the games work on our products and the new cards don't diverge enough from the current format as to make games/applications incompatible (and that wouldn't be good for anyone including the software developers and the hardware guys).