Problem with A drive

I'm trying to get information off my C drive and place on a floppy disk. It's
keep telling me that disk not formatted. The disk already formatted I try the
same disk on my laptop and it's work's fine. I'm having problem with the Desk
top. It will read The Disk in drive A is not formatted, which I brought the
disk already formatted. Do you want to format it now and I will say yes. The
disk is write protected I click on Ok and they it's comes up Disk in drive A
cannot be formatted. Could someone please help me

Thanks
6 answers Last reply
More about problem drive

    Try R.clicking on A: drive in my computer,with a floppy or w/o installed,
    select,open,you might have old files stored to A:,if so delete then 1 @ a
    time,
    then return to youre project.

    In news:BD504231-8441-4C28-B483-837601B441B9@microsoft.com,
    sugarbrown <sugarbrown@discussions.microsoft.com> respectfully replied ;-)
    > I'm trying to get information off my C drive and place on a floppy
    > disk. It's keep telling me that disk not formatted. The disk already
    > formatted I try the same disk on my laptop and it's work's fine. I'm
    > having problem with the Desk top. It will read The Disk in drive A is
    > not formatted, which I brought the disk already formatted. Do you
    > want to format it now and I will say yes. The disk is write prou totected
    > I click on Ok and they it's comes up Disk in drive A cannot be
    > formatted. Could someone please help me
    >
    > Thanks

    Have you tried another floppy disk? Have you even been able to read or write
    to the floppy drive on this computer? XP has problems with floppy drives.
    You might consider using a usb pen drive to transfer the infoemation.
    --
    Michael Stevens MS-MVP XP
    xpnews@bogusmichaelstevenstech.com

    I had similar problems after changing out my original floppy drive with a
    different one. Worked good for a day or so, then kept telling me floppy
    wasn't formatted, etc. just like yours. Floppy worked fine in another
    machine.

    Never really could tell you what the problem was, but I put the old one back
    in and it worked fine. Tried the new one again, and this time it worked
    fine... All I can think of is that the cable wasn't quite seated correctly.
    If you have recently been inside your system, or have bumped it, ort
    whatever, to removing both ends of the floppy cable, and reseating it. Do
    the same for the power cord. Just might work, who knows...

    "sugarbrown" <sugarbrown@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I'm trying to get information off my C drive and place on a floppy disk.
    It's
    > keep telling me that disk not formatted. The disk already formatted I try
    the
    > same disk on my laptop and it's work's fine. I'm having problem with the
    Desk
    > top. It will read The Disk in drive A is not formatted, which I brought
    the
    > disk already formatted. Do you want to format it now and I will say yes.
    The
    > disk is write protected I click on Ok and they it's comes up Disk in drive
    > cannot be formatted. Could someone please help me
    >
    > Thanks

    I have the same problem. I used to have XP Pro on FAT32 and the floppy
    worked perfectly. I went to NTFS and the floppy is basically useless. I know
    its a thing of the past, but for what I do...I need it. I managed to copy a
    5kb file once...it took 32 minutes! I just burned a 650mb cd in less than 2
    minutes...
    I have read and learned about the Japanese using the 1.2mb disks, and
    installed floppy disk controllers that others have said worked for
    them...but not me...Is my only option to install 98SE on my second hard
    drive and dual boot? You'd think there would be a better solution than that.
    Any help is appreciated...

    --
    Robbie
    http://www3.nbnet.nb.ca/rmorris/ollie.htm

    "sugarbrown" <sugarbrown@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I'm trying to get information off my C drive and place on a floppy disk.
    > It's
    > keep telling me that disk not formatted. The disk already formatted I try
    > the
    > same disk on my laptop and it's work's fine. I'm having problem with the
    > Desk
    > top. It will read The Disk in drive A is not formatted, which I brought
    > the
    > disk already formatted. Do you want to format it now and I will say yes.
    > The
    > disk is write protected I click on Ok and they it's comes up Disk in drive
    > cannot be formatted. Could someone please help me
    >
    > Thanks

    Tried that very first thing....even changed the ide cable...but the floppy
    acts like it should. There's no constant access light on, so the cable isn't
    on backwards...there's power. Settings are normal in the BIOS (unless
    there's some secret I don't know about)...it's a mystery!

    --
    Robbie
    http://www3.nbnet.nb.ca/rmorris/ollie.htm

    "sugarbrown" <sugarbrown@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I'm trying to get information off my C drive and place on a floppy disk.
    > It's
    > keep telling me that disk not formatted. The disk already formatted I try
    > the
    > same disk on my laptop and it's work's fine. I'm having problem with the
    > Desk
    > top. It will read The Disk in drive A is not formatted, which I brought
    > the
    > disk already formatted. Do you want to format it now and I will say yes.
    > The
    > disk is write protected I click on Ok and they it's comes up Disk in drive
    > cannot be formatted. Could someone please help me
    >
    > Thanks

    I had this same problem. It was the floppy cable. It is possible for there
    to be no light constantly on and it still isnt connected properly. I will
    bet anything that this is your problem. Try different cable configurations.
    and make sure the floppy drive is enabled in the bios.
    "sugarbrown" <sugarbrown@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I'm trying to get information off my C drive and place on a floppy disk.
    It's
    > keep telling me that disk not formatted. The disk already formatted I try
    the
    > same disk on my laptop and it's work's fine. I'm having problem with the
    Desk
    > top. It will read The Disk in drive A is not formatted, which I brought
    the
    > disk already formatted. Do you want to format it now and I will say yes.
    The
    > disk is write protected I click on Ok and they it's comes up Disk in drive
    > cannot be formatted. Could someone please help me
    >
    > Thanks

Microsoft Windows XP