FBI Conducts Raids Over Half-Life 2 Source Theft

darko21

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2003
According to a recent weblog post, a San Francisco native had his house raided by the FBI last week, and 'lost upwards of 9 machines, and lots of misc equipment besides' in a seizure related to the theft of the Half-Life 2 source code from Valve Software." The scanned-in search warrant posted on the site indicates the FBI were looking for "...any IP addresses related to any of the Valve internal or external networks... Valve passwords and/or usernames... any and all items... related to Valve Software, Half-Life, Half-Life 2", and the Hungry Programmers page page mentions that "...several Hungries were raided on January 14th by the FBI and Secret Service, and their computers seized.

http://squeedlyspooch.com/blog/archives/000072.html

If I glanced at a spilt box of tooth picks on the floor, could I tell you how many are in the pile. Not a chance, But then again I don't have to buy my underware at Kmart.

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
its a video game

yet the gov't is getting involved

funny how the world operates, isnt it.

on the back of their money it says " in God we trust"

yet

money, or "material" vaulues are supposed to mean nothing, according to the bible. what a contradiction. it makes me laugh/puke at the same time

-------

<A HREF="http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/you.html" target="_new">please dont click here! </A>
dhlucke - "Phew...ok my wrists are hurting. I'm taking a break."

taitertot

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2003
Still its a electronic crime though.

-taitertot

If this post has attitude, seems to be overly aggressive, rude, distasteful to 99% of the users here, and shows a zealous defense of Intel... It’s probably Spud.

Remember, the God of the Bible isn't the only God for some. And for a large number of the Framers, they were deists, not of the religion of the day (which shall go unnamed).

Not that I want to get into a theological debate.

BTW, I'm glad they are cracking down on crimes like this. I'd prefer they do that they trying to track down song swappers.

Anywhoo, off to bed, then to work at 10Am!

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

endyen

Splendid
The theft has added many days/weeks to the release date of HL2. Some would call that a capital offense. I say hanging is too good for him. Take away his computer access for life!

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
ahahahahah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i dont know what deists means and im wayyy too'drunk/tired to find out what it means (oh , i see yor reply)

yes sleep is good. and theology is dumb

-------

<A HREF="http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/you.html" target="_new">please dont click here! </A>

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
heh , yup

-------

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
its not a game, its a [-peep-] load of money lost and a companies reputation damaged. its no different than walking into a jewelry store, distracting the lady behind the counter and swiping all that you can grab. but on a much larger scale.

wpdclan.com cs game server - 69.12.5.119:27015

KWPLunchbox

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2003
No endyen, it was the perfect excuse they needed to cover their asses for the developmental delays. $100 says the game is too short, just like all the other games out these days. They better be using this extra time to put more game play in. Remember how huge the original Half Life was? Play it again today, still huge. It totally sucks they got hacked, but I don't see that should have effected their release date, espeically since no damage was done to their existing builds.

<font color=purple>AMD XP 2500+ @ 3200+/200, A7N8X Dlx, 512mb PC3200 Corsair XMS DDR, ATi 9800Pro, Audigy Platinum, 2/5 TB of storage, TDK 48x CDRW, Lite-On 16x DVD, XP Pro SP1, and more neon than a ghetto sled

The reason for the delays is stated as being hacks and cheats in the multiplayer side of things. This is likely HL2's bread and butter despite what might be a short or underwhelming main campaign. I don't play any game with serious cheat issues (auto aim sux! wall cheaters should die by a brick to the head!), and knowing HL2 had that problem would've kept me away from it because, like you, I think most games aren't owrth their price doue to their limited replayability. The only thing I hated about Hitman2 was that I completed it in less than 12hrs of gaming over a single weekend. Sure the stealth adds a little replayability, but I did feel cheated when I was done so quickly.

This delay seriously hurts Valve and Universal's financing plans for this game, so I doubt they would want a delay for anything other than a SEVERE glitch, and there's no indication that that was the case. Even a shorter-than-anticipated HL2 would be a massive money maker. I don't buy the conspiracy theories, they just don't add up when you consider the bigger picture of everything that was involved in getting that game to market.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

coolsquirtle

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2003
It wasn't me

*game drops from pant*

oh sh**

AHHHHH

*runs from FBI*
noo Xaser III too heavy to carry NOOOOO

RIP Block Heater....HELLO P4~~~~~
120% nVidia Fanboy
never tried to go crazy when it comes to o/cing. THE rule of thumb: 5mhz at once plz

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Bush would call it economic terrorism, an attempt to slow the progress of the U.S. economy.

I remember Nixon was paranoid too.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Maybe a bit, but very funny none the less, especially considering the evening's events.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Completely relevent, read what I was replying to. The new attitude of federal law enforcement is that any type of hacking is damaging to the economy and must be dealt with in the most sever method allowed by law. The "economic terrorism" spat explains why the FBI would go so far on any case of data theft.

Let me paraphrase it:
Q. "why would the FBI treat this so seriously"
A. "To bring economic terrorism under control"

Normally the words "economic terrorism" are only applied to larger scale attempts at economic damage, but this type of crime does fit the very loose definition, which is why they take it so seriously.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Relevantly irrelevant, here's some more HL2 news;

<A HREF="http://www.warp2search.net/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=16033&mode=thread&order=0&thold=-1" target="_new">http://www.warp2search.net/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=16033&mode=thread&order=0&thold=-1</A>

Delayed until Sept?