Query about my GFX Card/Mobo.

Alpha_Omega

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2004
Hi, just a quick question about the combination of my graphics card and my motherboard.

The details

CPU: AMD Athlon T-Bird @ 1400mhz (no idea of the FSB, 133?)

GFX Card: Gforce FX 5200 128mb (Add info, made by PNY as far as I can remember, and the cd also has VERTO on it if that helps)

Mobo KinetZ 7E-A, the details on it can be found here:
http://www.qdigrp.com/qdisite/eng/products/K7E.htm
(yes I know it's old it came with the pc and is probably the only part which hasn't been replaced :p.)

Okay my questions are these.

Basically, my friend with the same sort of cards sees alot better FPS in Counterstrike than me the only thing which differs from the two pcs is the Mobo and CPU speed by 100mhz. For me with a few people on the screen in 800x600 I can easily see as low as 25-40 FPS. I know the card isn't great but that to me is VERY low. It's not just counterstrike, that was only an example of something giving low FPS.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yes, I have the updated Graphics card drivers.
No, there are no conflicts.
Bios on the mobo is the same as when I first got the pc.
No, there are no viruses or anything like that running.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Secondly, Windows XP will never 'clean' install with any Gforce card plugged in, gets to "Windows is starting" or "Windows is copying the needed files" one of the two. I'm not quite sure anymore. Had the same issue with my really old Gforce 2 mx 400.

Would updating the BIOS help or changing some settings?
Basically I'm going to get a new one soon but I'm a bit fed up with it now.
Any help on this would be appreciated I will post any data that people ask for which could be useful. Thanks in advance.

Ben

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Alpha_Omega on 01/20/04 03:53 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Bye Bye, don't let the door hit you on the A$$ on the way out!

Go ask your MOBO maker and/or Card Maker and see how fast they reply, and they are PAID to do it! Seriously!

<b>Good Riddance, JackA$$!</b>

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

cleeve

Illustrious
Oh my god. you know what? I actually know what your problem is.

But I'm not going to tell you how to fix it.

I'm not going to help you becuase you whine like a baby when nobody answers you immediately. What, do you think we all spend our entire lives waiting for your e-mail so we can answer it? After an hour and a half you cry like a 3 year old with a dirty diaper?

You loser. Good luck with your hardware. You'll never have the patience to make it work properly.

P.S. Your hardware sucks. Haha.

Alpha_Omega

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2004
To be honest, before I posted asking about something - can't remember what it is now and I had no reply after a week, in the end I gave up. Don't think it was even anything people wouldnt know just something along the lines of "does this happen to anyone else xxxxxxxxx"

Hour and a half? It was coming onto 2 days and it had fallen down into the 3rd page where I'd say not many people look.

Yes it sucks but it's a good few years old now.

If you don't want to tell me it's no biggie to be honest. Just wanted to be able to play cs a bit smoother. I'll buy a new mobo which I'm guessing is going to be the problem and keep this one for another box.

Also, answer me this, would you of replied telling me what it was if I hadn't of made the second post?

cleeve

Illustrious
Post on 3rd page <> justification for rudeness

Ion

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2003
Your fx5200 is probably using 64bit memory interface, while your friend's is using 128bit. :evil:

A lesson for everyone, 5200 is one useless silicon that nvidia is recylcing to make $$$$$$. :tongue:

Asus A7N8X Deluxe, Xp 2500+(3200+), 512MB RAM, Radeon 9500Pro

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Actually, the largest factor in your performance issues is that...your system sux. The video card you have is maybe 2x as fast as your old one. The board is slow, the processor is at a fairly low speed. I think your problems are more involved with the entire system than just one part.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

I think your problems are more involved with the entire...

And here I thought his biggest problem was netiquette and civility.

Zoinks, proved wrong again!

$crew You guys, I'm going home! :wink:

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

kal326

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Secondly, Windows XP will never 'clean' install with any Gforce card plugged in, gets to "Windows is starting" or "Windows is copying the needed files" one of the two. I'm not quite sure anymore. Had the same issue with my really old Gforce 2 mx 400.
You might have problem with your hardware. I have never had a problem installing winxp on a system with an nvidia card
Looking on your motherboards website there is a bios update that lists these fixes
K7B BIOS 3.8 for LogoEasy, RecoveryEasy and BootEasy.
BIOS modified:
1. Fix error of booteasy
2. Fix ACPI error in win xp <-------This may be your install problem.

Other then that I would check the configuration on your card versus your friends. It may be the 64bit versus 128bit memory configuration that somebody else had mentioned

<pre> /\
|| (-: Fun with ASCII :)
/\/\||/\/|
\ /
\______/
| |
| |
</pre><p>