auto starting

I've noticed my computer auto starting at times, on about five minutes then
off again. I worry about someone trying to get into my computer. I run
norton's about once a week, no virus detected. Just don,t know what it's
doing, or how to find out. I just recently got DSL it's on all the time.That
is what's worrying me.
I'm pretty sure it's not Norton's update.

THX
2 answers Last reply
More about auto starting

    In news:D86C72A7-AF4E-484F-9313-C8B872061206@microsoft.com,
    BJPSG <BJPSG@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

    > I've noticed my computer auto starting at times, on about five
    > minutes then off again. I worry about someone trying to get into my
    > computer. I run norton's about once a week, no virus detected. Just
    > don,t know what it's doing, or how to find out. I just recently got
    > DSL it's on all the time.That is what's worrying me.
    > I'm pretty sure it's not Norton's update.
    >

    > THX

    Good call, try a spyware check?

    Take a peek at this link:
    http://groups.msn.com/windowsxpcentral/spyware.msnw

    Galen

    If you mean that you've shutdown your computer completely and it's restarting
    of it's own accord, it could be a setting in your BIOS. Some BIOSes have an
    Auto On or like feature, supposedly useful for ppl who work...have a look
    there...hopefully it's nothing worse than that...

    "BJPSG" wrote:

    > I've noticed my computer auto starting at times, on about five minutes then
    > off again. I worry about someone trying to get into my computer. I run
    > norton's about once a week, no virus detected. Just don,t know what it's
    > doing, or how to find out. I just recently got DSL it's on all the time.That
    > is what's worrying me.
    > I'm pretty sure it's not Norton's update.
    >
    > THX

Windows XP