need diagnostics for a dimension xps t-600

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

hi,
dell dimension xps (t600) win 98 se.
need to test the floppy drive (can't write some boot disks)
does anyone know whether the seagate sea_tools (3rd party) is ok to use
in the system?
or the name of their (dell's) diagnostics program for this pc?
thanks in advance!
5
answers
Last reply
More about need diagnostics dimension
  1. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    Seatools is for hard drives only. Same with the diagnostics from other drive
    manufacturers. Why not simply replace the floppy diskette drive?

    .... Ben Myers

    On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 22:42:48 -0500, Tanya <tjtmdOMIT_THIS@attglobal.net> wrote:

    >hi,
    >dell dimension xps (t600) win 98 se.
    >need to test the floppy drive (can't write some boot disks)
    >does anyone know whether the seagate sea_tools (3rd party) is ok to use
    >in the system?
    >or the name of their (dell's) diagnostics program for this pc?
    >thanks in advance!
    >
  2. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    hi Ben,
    thanks for the info and the advice
    sincerely
    Tanya

    Ben Myers wrote:

    > Seatools is for hard drives only. Same with the diagnostics from other drive
    > manufacturers. Why not simply replace the floppy diskette drive?
    >
    > ... Ben Myers
    >
    > On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 22:42:48 -0500, Tanya <tjtmdOMIT_THIS@attglobal.net> wrote:
    >
    > >hi,
    > >dell dimension xps (t600) win 98 se.
    > >need to test the floppy drive (can't write some boot disks)
    > >does anyone know whether the seagate sea_tools (3rd party) is ok to use
    > >in the system?
    > >or the name of their (dell's) diagnostics program for this pc?
    > >thanks in advance!
    > >
  3. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    New floppy drives are cheap, & easy to swap out.
    If it still does not work after new floppy install, be sure to check
    BIOS settings.
    Steve C.
  4. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    <lobotomy@webtv.net> wrote in message
    news:2583-41FE39F9-246@storefull-3113.bay.webtv.net...
    > New floppy drives are cheap, & easy to swap out.
    > If it still does not work after new floppy install, be sure to check
    > BIOS settings.
    > Steve C.
    >


    Yep. She also needs to grab a new box of diskettes to be sure it's not the
    disk itself. If she has her Resource CD that came with the system, she can
    run the floppy diags from there (*remember to insert a blank unlocked
    diskette into the drive once the diag menu appears on the screen....)


    Stew
  5. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    hi Steve C. and Stew,
    thanks for the advice
    [...below...]

    "S.Lewis" wrote:

    > <lobotomy@webtv.net> wrote in message
    > news:2583-41FE39F9-246@storefull-3113.bay.webtv.net...
    > > New floppy drives are cheap, & easy to swap out.
    > > If it still does not work after new floppy install, be sure to check
    > > BIOS settings.
    > > Steve C.
    > >
    >
    > Yep. She also needs to grab a new box of diskettes to be sure it's not the
    > disk itself. If she has her Resource CD that came with the system, she can
    > run the floppy diags from there (*remember to insert a blank unlocked
    > diskette into the drive once the diag menu appears on the screen....)
    >
    > Stew

    i've tried different floppies (they work on 2 other pcs) the dells' floppy
    drive makes a noise (like a whirring noise)
    i'll check the CMOS settings...

    i found the dell diag program and will run it (the diagnostic cd that was sent
    w/ it did not work for that system...)
    thanks!
    sincerely
    Tanya
Ask a new question

Read More

Dell XPS Dimension Computers