Drive Letters Missing

Under Disk Management none of my drives show a letter under the Volume col.
Such as C, D etc. I have two drives that have been partitioned using
Partition Magic. The letters do however show up on My Computer and Explorer.
I'm wondering if this could cause me a problem if I needed to do a restore or
something similar. In Disk Management if I click on change the letter, it
offers to add, since there is nothing to change. I was afraid to add and
cause a problem so I did nothing.
--
Gary
4 answers Last reply

    In news:522D396E-EA4B-44B4-8D01-023B15832D27@microsoft.com,
    Gary <cutlip(deletethis)@comcast.net> had this to say:

    > Under Disk Management none of my drives show a letter under the
    > Volume col. Such as C, D etc. I have two drives that have been
    > partitioned using Partition Magic. The letters do however show up on
    > My Computer and Explorer. I'm wondering if this could cause me a
    > problem if I needed to do a restore or something similar. In Disk
    > Management if I click on change the letter, it offers to add, since
    > there is nothing to change. I was afraid to add and cause a problem
    > so I did nothing.

    Nope, add a letter. All *should* be okay after. Next time read partition
    magic's help file first. It's a nice application and one of the few
    applications I consider worth buying.

    Galen

    Galen,
    Actually, I'm thinking that Partition Magic didn't cause the problem. My
    second drive "D" was not partitioned and has the same problem. I tried to add
    the drive letter for D, just now, and I was not given that option, my options
    started at L. And I also looked at C (which is the one I was most interested
    in if I needed to restore a Norton drive image or use the Microsoft Restore
    function) and of course I was not given the option of C either. And the
    instructions say you can't change the boot drive anyway. I had a problem with
    drive designations over a year ago when I installed an update for Roxio v6.
    Maybe that's the culprit. I believe I used Restore at that time. The mystery
    to me is that some applications like Windows Explorer and My Computer seem
    just fine whereas other applications like Norton Ghost and Disk Management
    seem to be missing the drive letters. Partition Magic does show the letters
    and looks just fine. The Dell system is a year and a half old, and seems to
    work fine otherwise, maybe I should just leave well enough alone. What do you
    think?

    Gary

    In news:00965468-5840-4420-B400-D4FAA3CAF15D@microsoft.com,
    Gary <cutlip(deletethis)@comcast.net> had this to say:

    > The Dell
    > system is a year and a half old, and seems to work fine otherwise,
    > maybe I should just leave well enough alone. What do you think?

    Well, if it's working and you can use it in it's current state and not be
    bothered too much then I'd say leave it that way until something more
    serious goes wrong. A computer is, for most people, either a tool or a toy.
    Spending too much time fixing or mainaining a tool or toy defeats the
    purpose of having it in my opinion. Sure, you have to keep it running but
    there's no need to spend more time fixing than there is using.

    Galen

    Galen,
    Thanks... I'm glad you agree. gary

    "Galen" wrote:

    > In news:00965468-5840-4420-B400-D4FAA3CAF15D@microsoft.com,
    > Gary <cutlip(deletethis)@comcast.net> had this to say:

    > > The Dell
    > > system is a year and a half old, and seems to work fine otherwise,
    > > maybe I should just leave well enough alone. What do you think?
    >
    > Well, if it's working and you can use it in it's current state and not be
    > bothered too much then I'd say leave it that way until something more
    > serious goes wrong. A computer is, for most people, either a tool or a toy.
    > Spending too much time fixing or mainaining a tool or toy defeats the
    > purpose of having it in my opinion. Sure, you have to keep it running but
    > there's no need to spend more time fixing than there is using.
    >
    > Galen
    > --
    > Signature changed for a moment of silence.
    > Rest well Alex and we'll see you on the other side.

Disk Management Windows XP