Drive Letters Missing

April 7, 2005 1:19:02 AM

Under Disk Management none of my drives show a letter under the Volume col.
Such as C, D etc. I have two drives that have been partitioned using
Partition Magic. The letters do however show up on My Computer and Explorer.
I'm wondering if this could cause me a problem if I needed to do a restore or
something similar. In Disk Management if I click on change the letter, it
offers to add, since there is nothing to change. I was afraid to add and
cause a problem so I did nothing.
--
Gary

More about : drive letters missing

April 7, 2005 5:43:14 AM

In news:522D396E-EA4B-44B4-8D01-023B15832D27@microsoft.com,
Gary <cutlip(deletethis)@comcast.net> had this to say:

> Under Disk Management none of my drives show a letter under the
> Volume col. Such as C, D etc. I have two drives that have been
> partitioned using Partition Magic. The letters do however show up on
> My Computer and Explorer. I'm wondering if this could cause me a
> problem if I needed to do a restore or something similar. In Disk
> Management if I click on change the letter, it offers to add, since
> there is nothing to change. I was afraid to add and cause a problem
> so I did nothing.

Nope, add a letter. All *should* be okay after. Next time read partition
magic's help file first. It's a nice application and one of the few
applications I consider worth buying.

Galen
April 7, 2005 4:39:09 PM

Galen,
Actually, I'm thinking that Partition Magic didn't cause the problem. My
second drive "D" was not partitioned and has the same problem. I tried to add
the drive letter for D, just now, and I was not given that option, my options
started at L. And I also looked at C (which is the one I was most interested
in if I needed to restore a Norton drive image or use the Microsoft Restore
function) and of course I was not given the option of C either. And the
instructions say you can't change the boot drive anyway. I had a problem with
drive designations over a year ago when I installed an update for Roxio v6.
Maybe that's the culprit. I believe I used Restore at that time. The mystery
to me is that some applications like Windows Explorer and My Computer seem
just fine whereas other applications like Norton Ghost and Disk Management
seem to be missing the drive letters. Partition Magic does show the letters
and looks just fine. The Dell system is a year and a half old, and seems to
work fine otherwise, maybe I should just leave well enough alone. What do you
think?

Gary

"Galen" wrote:

> In news:522D396E-EA4B-44B4-8D01-023B15832D27@microsoft.com,
> Gary <cutlip(deletethis)@comcast.net> had this to say:

> > Under Disk Management none of my drives show a letter under the
> > Volume col. Such as C, D etc. I have two drives that have been
> > partitioned using Partition Magic. The letters do however show up on
> > My Computer and Explorer. I'm wondering if this could cause me a
> > problem if I needed to do a restore or something similar. In Disk
> > Management if I click on change the letter, it offers to add, since
> > there is nothing to change. I was afraid to add and cause a problem
> > so I did nothing.
>
> Nope, add a letter. All *should* be okay after. Next time read partition
> magic's help file first. It's a nice application and one of the few
> applications I consider worth buying.
>
> Galen
> --
> Signature changed for a moment of silence.
> Rest well Alex and we'll see you on the other side.

Related resources
April 8, 2005 2:45:27 AM

In news:00965468-5840-4420-B400-D4FAA3CAF15D@microsoft.com,
Gary <cutlip(deletethis)@comcast.net> had this to say:

> The Dell
> system is a year and a half old, and seems to work fine otherwise,
> maybe I should just leave well enough alone. What do you think?

Well, if it's working and you can use it in it's current state and not be
bothered too much then I'd say leave it that way until something more
serious goes wrong. A computer is, for most people, either a tool or a toy.
Spending too much time fixing or mainaining a tool or toy defeats the
purpose of having it in my opinion. Sure, you have to keep it running but
there's no need to spend more time fixing than there is using.

Galen
April 8, 2005 8:33:02 PM

Galen,
Thanks... I'm glad you agree. gary