Closed

Windows Explorer starts at logon without prompt

April 7, 2005 8:01:04 AM

Whenever I logon Windows Explorer will open C:\ without my prompt for it to
do so. I consider myself a power user but am completely stumped.
Anonymous
April 7, 2005 4:16:54 PM

"Damo" <Damo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Whenever I logon Windows Explorer will open C:\ without my prompt for it
> do so. I consider myself a power user but am completely stumped.

Have you tried MSCONFIG?
April 7, 2005 4:16:55 PM

Good point

"Vernon" wrote:

> "Damo" <Damo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Whenever I logon Windows Explorer will open C:\ without my prompt for it
> > do so. I consider myself a power user but am completely stumped.
>
> Have you tried MSCONFIG?

Related resources
April 7, 2005 4:16:56 PM

No, nothing suspect there's still a prob.

"Damo" wrote:

> Good point
>
> "Vernon" wrote:
>
> > "Damo" <Damo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Whenever I logon Windows Explorer will open C:\ without my prompt for it
> > > do so. I consider myself a power user but am completely stumped.
> >
> > Have you tried MSCONFIG?

Anonymous
April 8, 2005 12:45:32 AM

By default, Windows Explorer always opens with My Documents. Customize it by
changing the properties for the Windows Explorer icon and replace the Target
field with: %SystemRoot%\explorer.exe /e, c:\yourfolder

1. Right click on the icon you use to launch Explorer and select Properties.
2. In the Target box, type:
%SystemRoot%\Explorer.exe /e, path

Where in place of path above you should enter the actual path to the
directory you want open by default. For example C:\Windows, or C:\Documents
and Settings, etc. To have My Computer listed as the default selection, type
explorer.exe /e,

Explorer.exe Command-Line Options for Windows XP

Customize the Windows Explorer Views in Windows XP

Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User
http://windowsxp.mvps.org

"Damo" <Damo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Whenever I logon Windows Explorer will open C:\ without my prompt for it
> do so. I consider myself a power user but am completely stumped.
April 8, 2005 6:33:02 AM

You're saying that this will stop it from starting automatically at bootup?

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> By default, Windows Explorer always opens with My Documents. Customize it by
> changing the properties for the Windows Explorer icon and replace the Target
> field with: %SystemRoot%\explorer.exe /e, c:\yourfolder
>
> 1. Right click on the icon you use to launch Explorer and select Properties.
> 2. In the Target box, type:
> %SystemRoot%\Explorer.exe /e, path
>
> Where in place of path above you should enter the actual path to the
> directory you want open by default. For example C:\Windows, or C:\Documents
> and Settings, etc. To have My Computer listed as the default selection, type
> explorer.exe /e,
>
> Explorer.exe Command-Line Options for Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=314853
>
> Customize the Windows Explorer Views in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=307856
>
> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP Shell/User
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "Damo" <Damo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Whenever I logon Windows Explorer will open C:\ without my prompt for it
> > do so. I consider myself a power user but am completely stumped.

Anonymous
April 8, 2005 7:05:11 PM

Umm. Misread the question, and sorry. You need to inspect the startup
applications using MSConfig, or via the registry.

How to manage Windows Startup?:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/startup.htm

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

> You're saying that this will stop it from starting automatically at
> bootup?
>
> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
>
>> By default, Windows Explorer always opens with My Documents. Customize it
>> by
>> changing the properties for the Windows Explorer icon and replace the
>> Target
>> field with: %SystemRoot%\explorer.exe /e, c:\yourfolder
>>
>> 1. Right click on the icon you use to launch Explorer and select
>> Properties.
>> 2. In the Target box, type:
>> %SystemRoot%\Explorer.exe /e, path
>>
>> Where in place of path above you should enter the actual path to the
>> directory you want open by default. For example C:\Windows, or
>> C:\Documents
>> and Settings, etc. To have My Computer listed as the default selection,
>> type
>> explorer.exe /e,
>>
>> Explorer.exe Command-Line Options for Windows XP
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=314853
>>
>> Customize the Windows Explorer Views in Windows XP
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=307856
>>
>> --
>> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
>> Windows XP Shell/User
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>>

>> "Damo" <Damo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Whenever I logon Windows Explorer will open C:\ without my prompt for
>> > it
>> > do so. I consider myself a power user but am completely stumped.

February 25, 2010 6:14:10 PM

Hi

I had exactly the same problem after upgrading from vista to win7 (both premium). Every time I logged in no matter with which user account, windows explorer would start without being prompted. After a lot of searching for autostart entries in ms-config and startup folders etc etc, I finally located the fault in the registry. I browsed to the following key:

Hkeylocalmachine\Software\microsoft\windowsNT\winlogon\userinit

There was an appended value that somehow had gotten on there.

The value should have been c:\windows\system32\userinit.exe HOWEVER, it was c:\windows\system32\userinit.exe,c:\windows\ezshellexplorer (or something like that - can't remember exactly)

Anyway, what i did was to modify the value of userinit to remove everything after the comma (,) so, the final value of this key was c:\windows\system32\userinit.exe

I rebooted and after that explorer never opened up again following logon. Dont know how this key got corrupted but this worked for me. Good look.
February 26, 2010 1:14:40 AM

Necropost
February 26, 2010 2:21:09 AM

It is a necropost, however solutions add value for others with the same problem. It's a valuable contribution.
!