Computer Power Supply in place of "arcade" power supply?

Jayson

Distinguished
May 22, 2004
Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade (More info?)

A computer power supply offers the same voltages at first glance and then of
course an additional 3.3v for the ATX P/S.. Curious if a computer power
supply is suitable for arcade use, as I have several computer power supplies
laying around..

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade (More info?)

Some games use them. Midway Touchmaster, Atari Rush 2049 come to mind. You
might have a splice on the games connectors, but it's easy. LTG :)

"Jayson" <jayson_hansen@keepyourspam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
> A computer power supply offers the same voltages at first glance and then
of
> course an additional 3.3v for the ATX P/S.. Curious if a computer power
> supply is suitable for arcade use, as I have several computer power
supplies
> laying around..

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade (More info?)

it'll work...

some will frown upon them, however because of their much higher current
capacity then a standard arcade switcher... so basically if something on
your board decides to go pear shaped with an arcade supply you may burn a
chip or two, but with a pc supply you may end up with baked pear.

steve

"Jayson" <jayson_hansen@keepyourspam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
>A computer power supply offers the same voltages at first glance and then
>of
> course an additional 3.3v for the ATX P/S.. Curious if a computer power
> supply is suitable for arcade use, as I have several computer power
> supplies
> laying around..

Jayson

Distinguished
May 22, 2004
Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade (More info?)

After some more reading, it seemed that the +5v amperage was not as
sufficient than that found on an "aracde switcher"... I think I read 6 amp
max load for a PC switcher whereas its 11-15 amp on an arcade switcher..

I opted for one of these last night instead:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3290721156

I'm not quite sure if the power supply I have now is the issue.. however, on
the 5v side its putting out 5.7 volts (which is tolerable I would think)
though on the 12v side its putting out 14.8v, which seems a tad bit high
imo.

Now to try to find a 25" standard resolution crt/chassis (which I have no
idea where to look for one at a reasonable price, used is fine prefer no
burn) so if there are any leads to one, I would definitely appreciate it.

"Steve Muccione" <home*DOT*muccione@verizon.net> wrote in message
> it'll work...
>
> some will frown upon them, however because of their much higher current
> capacity then a standard arcade switcher... so basically if something on
> your board decides to go pear shaped with an arcade supply you may burn a
> chip or two, but with a pc supply you may end up with baked pear.
>
> steve
>
> "Jayson" <jayson_hansen@keepyourspam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >A computer power supply offers the same voltages at first glance and then
> >of
> > course an additional 3.3v for the ATX P/S.. Curious if a computer power
> > supply is suitable for arcade use, as I have several computer power
> > supplies
> > laying around..

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade (More info?)

6 Amps should be more then enough.