Forgotten Password

I am the administrator for my computer and I forgot what the new PW is. Can
I recover it somehow? Details Please! Help!
2 answers Last reply
More about forgotten password

    "Brnsknladi" <Brnsknladi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I am the administrator for my computer and I forgot what the new PW is.
    >Can
    > I recover it somehow? Details Please! Help!

    You will either have to logon using another account that is a member of the
    Administrator local group and reset the password.
    Or purchase one of the third party tools which claim to be able to reset the
    password. (Use your favourite search engine to locate these)

    --

    Regards,

    Mike
    --
    Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

    rights

    newsgroups

    "Brnsknladi" <Brnsknladi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I am the administrator for my computer and I forgot what the new PW is.
    >Can
    > I recover it somehow? Details Please! Help!

    you might try this:

    In XP Pro, when the Welcome Screen appears, enter Ctrl+Alt+Del (twice)
    Use "Administrator" as the User Account and assume no password.

    In XP Home, boot the computer into safe mode. Select the Administrator
    Account assuming no password.

    When logged into Windows using the Administrator account go to START>RUN and
    type

    control userpasswords2

    select your username and click "Reset Password"

    Then look at this article after resetting your password.

    How to create and use a password reset disk for a computer that is not a
    domain member in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;305478

    How to create and use a password reset disk for a computer in a domain in
    Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;306214

    if this doesn't work for you, try
    http://www.winternals.com/products/repairandrecovery/erdcommander2002.asp?pid=erd

    if you don't want to format the above link will fix the problem, but will
    cost money.

    --
    EasyFeelings
    A+

    "When your computer is working good, That's an EasyFeeling"

Support Computers Microsoft Windows XP