Help Deleting a Corrupt File

Somewhere along the line a corrupt restore was created. I noticed this when
a Defrag failed, specifying the restore point folder as the cause. I have
narrowed it down to a file in one of the sub-folders. I can't find a way to
delete it. It always tells me the file is corrupt. I have tried :

- Turning restore on and off. All restores deleted except this corrupt
folder.

- Overwriting the offending files with an empty notepad file

- Trying to delete with explorer.exe off

- Using a data cleaning tool

I could really do without reinstalling Windows. Any help very gratefully
received

Many thanks

More about help deleting corrupt file

    Run Error Checking. Reboot. Try to delete the file again.

    Error Checking (chkdsk.exe) in XP.
    1. In My Computer or Windows Explorer, right-click the drive you want to
    check, and then click Properties.
    2. On the Tools tab, click Check Now.
    3. Select both of these:

    o To run Chkdsk by using the /f parameter, select the Automatically fix file
    system errors check box, and then click Start.
    [[Specifies whether Windows repairs file-system errors found during disk
    checking. All files must be closed for this program to run. If the drive is
    currently in use, a message asks if you want to reschedule
    the disk checking for the next time you restart your computer. Your drive is
    not available to run other tasks while the disk is being checked.]]

    o To run Chkdsk by using the /r parameter, select the Scan for and attempt
    recovery of bad sectors check box, and then click Start.
    [[Specifies whether Windows repairs file-system errors found during disk
    checking, locates bad sectors, and recovers readable information. All files
    must be closed for this program to run. If the drive is currently in use, a
    message asks if you want to reschedule the disk checking for the next time
    you restart your computer. Your drive is not available to run other tasks
    while the disk is being checked. If you select this option, you do not need
    to select Automatically fix file system errors. Windows fixes any errors on
    the disk.]]

    You have to reboot for Error-checking to run.

    For a peek at the log.
    Open the Event Viewer...
    Start | Run | Type: eventvwr | OK
    Look in Application | Listed as Information |
    Event ID: 1001
    Source: Winlogon

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:d33ar1$m6r$1@titan.btinternet.com,
    MandAs <mandas@btinternet.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Somewhere along the line a corrupt restore was created. I noticed this
    > when a Defrag failed, specifying the restore point folder as the cause.
    > I have narrowed it down to a file in one of the sub-folders. I can't
    > find a way to delete it. It always tells me the file is corrupt. I have
    > tried :
    >
    > - Turning restore on and off. All restores deleted except this corrupt
    > folder.
    >
    > - Overwriting the offending files with an empty notepad file
    >
    > - Trying to delete with explorer.exe off
    >
    > - Using a data cleaning tool
    >
    > I could really do without reinstalling Windows. Any help very gratefully
    > received
    >
    > Many thanks

Windows XP