Sign in with
Your question

9600xt...worst piece of hardware i've ever owned

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 22, 2004 9:45:04 AM

I recently purchased a Retail 9600xt and installed it in my PC. I have a gigabyte motherboard, an Athlon XP 2800+ processor, and a stick of samsung pc 3200 DDR ram. Also running on win XP by the way. My problem is this...ever since I installed the card I have had constant problems with my computer freezing, and countless video errors. If the computer doesnt lock up completely, then whatever program (Game) I am in will exit and that ATI VPU Recover program will inform me that the video card was reset because it stopped responding to commands, or something to that effect. This doesnt happen only in games either. Sometimes if I browse through folders too quickly it will cause my VPU to reset!!! Yes thats right, I said browsing through folders will cause my video card to reset. I have even gotten the blue screen of death recently which I havnt seen in probably years, and it identified the cause of the error as ati2XXX something. Ive tried countless driver versions and none seem to change the situation in the least. Am I the only 9600xt owner who has run into these problems? If I dont sort this out then this card will be the last piece of ATI hardware I ever buy.
a b U Graphics card
January 22, 2004 10:14:13 AM

First off, what card did you have before? An NVidia I bet. Did you uninstall the nVidia drivers before pulling the card and putting in the ATI? If not there is your problem. You have to get the old drivers off there. Also good to use detenator RIP to fully get rid of the old remains left by the NVidia drivers. when Upgrading, Never pull a video card out and leave the old drivers behind.

9600XT worst piece of hardware... I'll swap you an FX5200 for it. :smile:

ABIT IS7, P4 2.6C, 512MB Corsair TwinX PC3200LL, Radeon 9500 Pro, Santa Cruz, Antec 1000AMG, TruePower 430watt
January 22, 2004 12:19:25 PM

He probably gonna love my ancient voodoo banshee better... :evil: 

Asus A7N8X Deluxe, Xp 2500+(3200+), 512MB RAM, Radeon 9500Pro
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
January 22, 2004 1:58:50 PM

Yes, I did used to own an nVidea card. My last card was an MSI geForce4 mx420 and I have nothing but good things to say about that card. It was getting a little old though so I replaced it with this 9600xt and I recieved minor benchmark boosts, and also a ton of instability. I uninstalled all nvidea drivers from the add/remove program list, then used a registry cleaner, and then installed the ATI drivers. I would rather have my old mx 420 than this 9600xt that makes my games crash constantly.
January 22, 2004 2:08:48 PM

What kind of registry cleaner? Norton's or Detonator RIP?

Maxtor disgraces the six letters that make Matrox.
January 22, 2004 2:30:12 PM

Quote:
Yes, I did used to own an nVidea card

no wonder your system isnt working right, you cant even spell the companies correctly

the problems you are having are no fault of the ATI card. Nvidia's drivers are known for not un-installing correctly (if youve even done that much, wouldnt suprise me if you just installed ATI drivers right over top lmfao) and causing people to use Driver-Cleaners

funny thing is, when i posted about that over at Nvnews (about needing to use driver cleaners), i got banned!

-------
<A HREF="http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/you.html" target="_new">please dont click here! </A>
January 22, 2004 2:56:41 PM

1) Uninstall all of the video card drivers on your system
2) Download Driver Cleaner (search in google)
3) Use it to remove both Nvidia and ATI Drivers (ATI aswell to be safe)
4) Use any other cleaning programs (regcleaner, regseeker, dustbuster xp etc)
5) Reinstall the latest ATI Drivers (3.1's either from ATI or perhaps the Omegas would be best)

<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=7454540" target="_new">Yay, I Finally broke the 12k barrier!!</A>
January 22, 2004 3:19:20 PM

Alright let me tell you what ive done...repeatedly.
1)Uninstalled all video drivers and control panels off of my system.
2)Restart my computer and run a registry cleaner (RegSupreme) and also detonatorRIP (which only found and removed one empty nvidia folder btw).
3)Restart system again after unplugging internet connection (I read XP will search for and download its own drivers when none are present) and I then install the separate drivers for my card, then without restarting I install the control panel. I tried the all in one package before also but I read this helps to give you a cleaner install.
4)Restart my computer, configure everything in the control panel, restart again.
5)Proceed to play a video game and watch my system crash at random intervals.
January 22, 2004 3:28:37 PM

haha sorry Fatalflaw

i missed the post where you said what you did to clean the drivers out

hmmm.. i dunno man. sometimes, when you add new hardware, the best thing to do is format. i know alot of people will say that they have swapped video cards 100 times with no problems..

but its windows were talking about here. the O/S that corrupt files from word processing

-------
<A HREF="http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/you.html" target="_new">please dont click here! </A>
January 22, 2004 3:30:21 PM

I've also got a 9600xt. I also replaced an nvidia card, goforce 4MX440. I also own a gigabyte mobo..ga-7va. I have 256MB of pc2700. my new card operates beautifully. makes my old geforce pale in comparison to put it mildly. only thing I did that you haven't mentioned which I believe they mention in the manual that accompanied my card is I reinstalled XP, which I also have by the way.

good luck
January 22, 2004 3:33:01 PM

Quote:
you haven't mentioned which I believe they mention in the manual that accompanied my card is I reinstalled XP, which I also have by the way

ha, told ya! :D 

-------
January 22, 2004 3:51:09 PM

lol...actually I also reinstalled winXP when I installed my new hardware. Im wondering if a low level format is in order. Its going to be a bitch losing all of my music and game files though. I would be more than willing to do it, but im afraid I will go through all the trouble and its going to be a hardware conflict that cant be fixed.
a b U Graphics card
January 22, 2004 3:51:23 PM

Curious, even though the 9600XT is no power hog, what brand power supply do you have and how many watts? If you happen to have a cheapo power supply such as the ones that come in most cases, that can account for alot of instability people complain about. If you have a name brand(Antec, Enlight, Enermax, Sparkle, etc.)300watt or better than you should be OK. 350watt if you have alot of drives. But a Powmax or Deer or no-name cheapo 400watt isn't even good enough to bank on reliability.

So what do you want to swap for that piece of Junk Radeon 9600XT? FX5200, GF4Ti4200, GF3Ti200, GF2Ti? I don't want you to suffer with that junker when you could trade for one of my nice NVidias. :wink:

ABIT IS7, P4 2.6C, 512MB Corsair TwinX PC3200LL, Radeon 9500 Pro, Santa Cruz, Antec 1000AMG, TruePower 430watt
January 22, 2004 3:55:19 PM

Power supply is a 300watt Enlight

Maybe we can negotiate a trade for that ti4200.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Fatalflaw on 01/22/04 12:59 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
January 22, 2004 3:55:31 PM

Quote:
Its going to be a bitch losing all of my music and game files though

right click "my computer" , select Management, and then goto Drive Management

you can make another partition to throw your stuff on. theres nothing erasing a partition wont do that a low level format will, aside from gettin rid of boot sector virus's

Quote:
but im afraid I will go through all the trouble and its going to be a hardware conflict that cant be fixed

i hear ya.. it could be an IRQ thing. have you checked that?

-------
January 22, 2004 4:02:13 PM

Try Driver Cleaner <A HREF="http://www.driverheaven.net/" target="_new">http://www.driverheaven.net/&lt;/A>
I've switched back and forth between nVudua and ATI (9600pro) without problem. If nVidia driver remnents are the problem this proggy will fix it.

Good Luck

XP 2000+
MSI KT3 ULTRA-2 KT333
Maxtor 60GB ATA 133 7200RPM
512MB PC2700
9600 Pro
Win98SE
January 22, 2004 4:03:12 PM

Im somewhat computer literate but I dont really know what the IRQ thing is. Ive seen it in my bios before, and if I remember its set to "auto"

Update: Just now I hit refresh and attempted to scroll down this page and my VPU reset itself lol!

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Fatalflaw on 01/22/04 01:05 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
January 22, 2004 4:11:42 PM

Driver cleaner did find about 4 nvidia files that the others did not. I removed them but I would be amazed if that solved my problem. Guess i'll restart and find out.
January 22, 2004 4:17:00 PM

How about a Ti4400?

Maxtor disgraces the six letters that make Matrox.
a b U Graphics card
January 22, 2004 4:21:17 PM

I hope it works for you. I have never had any irq conflicts on a Windows XP machine, but plenty with Windows 98. Click start/programs/accessories/system information. Under hardware resources, look and see if the video card is sharing an IRQ, or if it is alone on it's own IRQ. (look under conflicts/sharing, as well as just IRQ) The video card should not be sharing an IRQ with anothe device.

Good Luck. Otherwise, Yes I would be willing to work out a trade with you.

a b U Graphics card
January 22, 2004 4:55:26 PM

Lemme Guess, VIA based Gigabyte board?

Update your BIOS! Seriously.

Try disabling FastWrites first (in the control panel under SmartGart), that helped for me, but a BIOS update gave me back the ability to use Fastwrites.

The card's drivers are kept up to date, and that is a major source of conflict on older board. I experienced exactly what you did, moved to F12, no problems.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil: 
January 22, 2004 5:24:04 PM

Have you installed lastest Cat's from ATI?
January 22, 2004 11:23:51 PM

Nothing is better than a fresh Windows' installation
I always do a fresh installation whenever i got a new video card
January 22, 2004 11:29:57 PM

It's tough to take these threads seriously anymore.

Seriously people, do a fresh install of windows when you get new hardware like this. It's the same thing if you replace your motherboard. Do a fresh install.

January 23, 2004 4:19:04 AM

Quote:
lol...actually I also reinstalled winXP when I installed my new hardware.

Quote:
Driver cleaner did find about 4 nvidia files that the others did not. I removed them but I would be amazed if that solved my problem. Guess i'll restart and find out.

a re-install is utterly useless. it removes nothing, merely re-copies the system files and resets a few settings

those files wouldnt be there if you did formatted, and i bet you woulndt have this problem

-------
<A HREF="http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/you.html" target="_new">please dont click here! </A><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by phial on 01/23/04 01:21 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
January 23, 2004 9:42:43 AM

Another vote for BIOS settings. Start with minimal performace, disabling almost everything, test. Then active some settings and retest.

Hope this helps!

Still looking for a <b>good online retailer</b> in Spain :frown:
January 23, 2004 11:30:58 AM

Looks like about 16+ hours since his last post. Think we can chalk up another one for driverheaven.
January 23, 2004 11:41:15 AM

Well, after the nVidia files were found and deleted I started to gain hope, but less than 24 hours later I crashed once again. I have fast write disabled, but I do play with my vid settings kinda high. I turned AA down to 4x and AF to application preference. It seems slightly more stable since I deleted those nVidia files, but it's hard to say with any degree of certainty because the crashes have always been very random. The main problem I have here is that I upgraded all of my components at the same time, so it could really be any one of them causing the problems. I just suspected the video card because it always crashes to the desktop and the VPU recover pops up, and also when I got the blue screen of death it identified the ATI program as being responsible for the error. If this were being caused by another piece of hardware then I would suspect the stick of ram I have. It's a stick of Samsung, not in retail packaging which I purchased from a small computer store. I already gave away my old components but maybe I could get the ram back so that I could test it for a while and see if my problem disappears.

Edit: Is there a program I could download from somewhere that could test my ram and tell me if theres anything wrong with it?

Thanks for the help guys.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Fatalflaw on 01/23/04 08:44 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
January 23, 2004 11:48:21 AM

I thought you said you reinstalled Win XP? In which case why would you have ANY Nvidia drivers on there?

Also what sort of PSU are you running?

<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=7454540" target="_new">Yay, I Finally broke the 12k barrier!!</A>
January 23, 2004 11:56:29 AM

My processor is an Athlon XP 2800+. I just reinstalled windows, without any formatting or anything. If I end up having to reformat my hard drive then I think I will just go buy a new one because this 40gig isnt cutting it anymore.
January 23, 2004 12:02:28 PM

In IRQ it just had the card listed alone under IRQ 16.

This is what I found under IRQ Conflicts/sharing:

Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF PCI bus
Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF VIA CPU to AGP2.0/AGP3.0 Controller
Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF RADEON 9600 SERIES

I/O Port 0x000003B0-0x000003BB VIA CPU to AGP2.0/AGP3.0 Controller
I/O Port 0x000003B0-0x000003BB RADEON 9600 SERIES

I/O Port 0x0000C000-0x0000CFFF VIA CPU to AGP2.0/AGP3.0 Controller
I/O Port 0x0000C000-0x0000CFFF RADEON 9600 SERIES
January 23, 2004 2:58:30 PM

Downloaded the program, ran the memory test, no errors found. I cant remember if I registered my vid card with ATI or not so if it ends up being defective and they refuse to fix it, im going to be pretty bitter.
January 23, 2004 3:02:56 PM

FORMAT YOUR FREAKING HARD DRIVE!

for all this messing around you have done, you could have formatted/installed windows 5 times!

-------
January 23, 2004 3:19:07 PM

Sigh...its getting so bad, I guess I will say my last goodbyes to my beautiful 10gig music collection. I hope this fixes it.
January 23, 2004 4:21:40 PM

G man with the 10gig music collection either back it up with cds (I know this will take time but hey if you want to keep the music bad enough you will) or if you have a network card and another available computer say a friend's etc back the music up to there for the time being. You can also make another partition as stated earlier as well.

Now on the subject of card itself why don't you try the card in another person's computer and see if the same issues occur. If they don't you will know that either there is a hardware or software conflict on your particular system. If it doesn't work on the other computer I'd return it!
a b U Graphics card
January 23, 2004 4:26:41 PM

Seriously What MOBO do you have?

Try disabling fastwirtes before you wipe anything, it's a 2 minute exercise, simple, and likely your problem if it's a KT400 based board.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil: 
January 23, 2004 4:40:29 PM

Im about to go to best buy and grab a 120 gig western digital HD. My mobo is:
Gigabyte K7 Triton
GA-7VM400M(F)
VIA KM400 chipset

Straight from the front of the owners manual. Fast write is, and has been disabled in the ATI control panel if thats what you are talking about.
a b U Graphics card
January 23, 2004 5:32:10 PM

Yep, that's what I was talking about.

Well if it's off in SmartGart in the control panel then it's not that (which is appearing to be a common problem with the K<b>T</b>400 series boards, but an updated BIOS fixes that. Appears the Catalysts follow BIOS upgrades therefore it pays to keep the mobo BIOS up to date.

Oh well, thought it could be an easy quick fix for you.

January 24, 2004 3:21:20 PM

Well guys...I went to best buy yesterday and purchased a new 120 gig HD and started over from scratch. Installed windows, SP1, and all of my drivers. Im sorry to say that my video card is still a piece of sh*t. Ive tried everything now, played with every setting, and it still randomly crashes. Im calling ATI on monday and telling them I want to send this thing in for a replacement.
January 24, 2004 6:25:27 PM

You made this so darn hard. Unfrigginbelievable.

Don't call ATI. Go get an exchange from where you bought it.

This isn't that difficult.

January 24, 2004 11:37:32 PM

Wow you guys are a trip. Are you that in love with ATI? You guys cant admit that its remotely possible that just maybe a bad card slipped through their fingers and onto the store shelf? I had this graphics card in a different motherboard with different ram for a short time and I got a few video errors at that time as well. When its the ATI program saying my VPU stopped responding, and a blue screen of death saying that the source of the error was an ATI program, then why would you place the blame on something else? Im just curious why you guys are so adamant in refusing to admit that this card is faulty. I cant return it to the store BTW, best buy has a 30 day limit on exchanges and ive had it over a month. I'll let you know how things go once I get my new card. Thanks for the help though.
January 25, 2004 1:21:04 AM

Settle down...
Getting a bad card, right outa the box doesnt happen as often as one might think, especially if you read the web forums alot. Going by that premise, is the reason why <b>I</b> made certain suggestions to you.
Return your card, and let us know how things go for you.

<b>I help because you suck</b>
<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=1819095" target="_new"><b>3DMark03</b></A>
January 25, 2004 4:24:07 AM

Not to make you feel stupid or anything, but Best Buy has a holiday return policy and anything purchased after Nov 1st was returnable up to TODAY.

You missed the boat.

January 25, 2004 6:09:08 AM

There are always methods to get around the store return policy. When you're past the return date, you can buy another one, swap them out, and then take the bad one back. Just make sure you tell them that it's bad (so someone else doesn't get stuck with it) and that you want a refund instead of a replacement. Remember when Gainward had that batch of GF4 Ti-4200 cards with the bad ram on them? My roommate had a bad one that didn't manifest problems right away. A couple months afterwards, the stability problems started. We went back, got another one that was the next revision, cleaned it up and swapped boxes, and then took the defective one back. In my mind, its ethical because there shouldn't be such a short time period on returns for defective products. Of course, all of this only works for exchanges.

<font color=purple>AMD XP 2500+ @ 3200+/200, A7N8X Dlx, 512mb PC3200 Corsair XMS DDR, ATi 9800Pro, Audigy Platinum, 2/5 TB of storage, TDK 48x CDRW, Lite-On 16x DVD, XP Pro SP1, and more neon than a ghetto sled
January 25, 2004 9:00:35 AM

You wont find a kind heart in this bunch of lemmings FatelFlaw because most of them are INTEL and ATI fans from back before Dinosaurs flew and dropped guano.

I for my self at least never install a new hardware device such as a Graphics card without doing a clean of the hard drive then re-installing the Operating System.

I don't care how many of the guys say you can purge an OS of all old registry keys it never really is a fresh card install unless you do a wipe and reload.

To many bits of old drivers left lying around in the P.C for any graphics card to hook-up and pull its weight if its tripping over old driver bits especially if you changed manufacturers.

What I like to do is go to either Nvidia or ATI and download the latest driver possible and burn it to a CD, I have also found that driver corruption can occur very easily doing all the WIN XP updates including service pack1 to get USB 2.0 installed.

SO as a rule now if I have time and patience I install all motherboard drivers the first time the new OS install makes it to the desktop I hold off on the DirectX and graphics drivers until I have all the WinXP updates installed.

Lastly after all hardware device drivers are installed such as printers act ....ACCEPT for DVD or Burner Software I then install DX9.0a then my Graphics drivers then the Drivers supplied for my Monitor.

During that install I have my network connection unplugged as MS likes to have updates available at the site for your computer as checked. We do not want the auto driver/search going to the network in the back ground and pulling down the incorrect or unwanted driver.

Specifically install your Driver from the file downloaded and saved to the CD before you wiped the hard drive.

If you are using a graphics card such as MSI or other 3rd party manufacturers it is some times more important to load that companies Base driver set off the CD that came with the card to nest it into the OS then run your full update driver or catalyst after a reboot.

Once you have your drivers in try not to let any modifying happen to them...What I mean is this and will explain.

You say you have some games crapping out this is very understandable because when you load most new games and even some older games into your P.C the game runs a DOS batch file that configures the game to your graphics card by reading the cards abilities.

For instance we had a P.C we loaded Day Of Defeat into and had the game set to 1024X768 and 32Bit colour depth but the game has 2 options to run in either Direct 3D or OpenGL we had it set to run in OpenGL fair enough everything was perfect.

Until we came back later installed a newer card with different drivers and all this after the P.C was totally cleaned of the old drivers.

Well the card ran perfectly accept when trying to play some of the existing games on the hard drive..Why well that is easy for anyone to understand the games were loaded into the P.C on another graphics card and driver set so the minute you try to play those games on the new card they fail crash or freeze.

Simply do your self a great favour and do a fresh install of Windows XP, because even cleaning the registry will not remove the problems the games are having with the new card.

That ATI card is a very nice card and you will love it more then yes your older Nvidia card as soon as you give it a new playground to work in.

Barton 3200+ 400MHz
A7N8X Deluxe
Liquid
2x512 Crucial DDR 400 PC3200
GeForce FX5900
Two Maxtor 40Gig 8MB cach 7200rpm
SONY RW 52x/24x/52x
SONY DVD 16x/40x
January 25, 2004 10:00:44 AM

Bad call Sodknighthawk. Most of the guys in this forum own amd rigs. Gamers like them you know. The problem everyone here is seeing is attitude. If you think something wont work ,chances are good that you will make it not work. I am not saying that fatalflaw sabotaged hs card, just that he didn't fix all the software problems because his attitude kept him from seeing what was causing the problems. We are all pulling for him, and would be no matter what the card. Rmaing takes a long time, we want him up and happy now.
January 25, 2004 12:04:22 PM

Guys, I didnt mean to come off as having an attitude with you or being bitter. If you start from the first post and read the entire thread, then you cannot honestly tell me that I neglected to do something that was suggested. Im currently on a brand new hard drive with a fresh windows install just like many of you suggested. I actually did scrounge up a driver update for my motherboard last night and I installed it but it hasn't been long enough for me to say if the problem is fixed or not. Thats also a good suggestion with the card swap deal, but I dont want to have any problems with them saying that the card isnt in "like new" condition which they demand for a full refund. Hopefully this mobo driver update fixes the problem. If not then maybe I will try the card swapping deal, instead of having to wait weeks for ATI to mail me a replacement.
!