Looking for reviews 9800SE 256bit!

baldurga

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2002
Hi to everybody,

I am looking for reviews of 9800SE WITH 256 bit (not 128 bit version). In fact I was thinking of buying a Sapphire 9800SE AIW 256bit, and I want to know how well it performs on games, etc.

It will be even better if someone can point a comparison of this card with a 9600Pro AIW.

Thanks to all in advance!

Still looking for a <b>good online retailer</b> in Spain :frown:

cleeve

Illustrious
here you go:

<A HREF="http://www.hexus.net/content/reviews/review.php?dXJsX3Jldmlld19JRD02NTU" target="_new">http://www.hexus.net/content/reviews/review.php?dXJsX3Jldmlld19JRD02NTU</A>

Looks to be neck-and-neck with the 9600XT, unless you're lucky enough to get one that will successfully mod to a true 9800 PRO. (only about 50% of the cards work with the mod however)

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Tom's tested the 9800SE with 256-bit memory interface. So there's where to look.

Now, Saphire doesn't use 256-bit memory interface, someone lied to you. The 9800SE chip is 256-bit, but linked to a 128-bit RAM interface on the Saphire card.

So basically, the reviews you've READ ARE 256-bit, your card will be MUCH slower than the ones reviewed.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

cleeve

Illustrious
All I can say is that 9800SE 256-bit is around the same performance or slighly slower but not much when compared to 9700non-Pro.

When modded successfully, perhaps. But not out-of-the-box.

baldurga

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2002
I am not sure ... the memory is located in L shape in a 9700 PCB. That's the reason I believe it is a 256. There is any 128 bit in a L shape?

baldurga

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2002
Thanks wusy, a lot of valuable information!

If it has similar performance than 9600Pro AIW and 50% of being modded, that's a good alternative.

The problem also is that in my country is hard to find the 9600Pro AIW, and usually have an exhorbitant price. So that the reason I am looking for an alternative ...

baldurga

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2002
Thanks wusy, a lot of valuable information!

If it has similar performance than 9600Pro AIW and 50% of being modded, that's a good alternative.

The problem also is that in my country is hard to find the 9600Pro AIW, and usually have an exhorbitant price. So that the reason I am looking for an alternative ...

cleeve

Illustrious
If the memory is in an L shape, it is a guaranteed 256 bit memory interface.

I've heard rumors that Sapphire had a 256 bit 9800SE. Maybe they were true...

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It probably IS the 256-bit RAM version then. I've just never seen a Saphire 9800SE use that card.

You see, Saphire switched their 9500 non-pro from 9700 PCB to the newer style (128-bit RAM) PCB a while back. And the 9800SE is a 9500 Non-Pro with a 2nd revision graphics chip.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Vapor

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
I'm looking at the Sapphire 9800se at newegg, definitely 128-bit. I'd imagine thats the only type currently available...they changed awhile back.

Maxtor disgraces the six letters that make Matrox.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
His is a Power Color, I'm surprized you didn't pick that up already considering how often he talks about it.

What's that about a Powdered-Cruller? I'll take two with a large double-double please! :eek:

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
No, I would have said "color" because that's how it's properly spelled. That's one of the words Americans corrected the spelling on. Yes, we did have a right to do so, we were a brittish colony at one time.

TRENDING THREADS