Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Searching for a word in a file

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
April 7, 2005 10:59:06 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Hi,

In Windows Explorer, if I right-click a folder and select Search..., then
enter a word in the "A word or phrase in the file:" box and press the Search
button, I always receive the message "Search is complete. There are no
results to display."

I know that the word that I am searching for does exist in some of the files
in the folder. Why does the file not appear in Windows Explorer. I am sure
that this functionality did work in previouse versions of Windows (pre XP).

Please help!

--
Pete Walburn

More about : searching word file

April 7, 2005 1:31:06 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

I can only say it works in XP for me "just tested".
Good luck.

"PeteWalburn" <PeteWalburn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:CCCE383B-CAE1-4C73-8B38-0CA74703F21D@microsoft.com...
> Hi,
>
> In Windows Explorer, if I right-click a folder and select Search..., then
> enter a word in the "A word or phrase in the file:" box and press the
> Search
> button, I always receive the message "Search is complete. There are no
> results to display."
>
> I know that the word that I am searching for does exist in some of the
> files
> in the folder. Why does the file not appear in Windows Explorer. I am
> sure
> that this functionality did work in previouse versions of Windows (pre
> XP).
>
> Please help!
>
> --
> Pete Walburn
April 7, 2005 4:48:57 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

What kind of files is it searching?


"shakey" <shakey@sonic.net> wrote in message
news:uWmcy84OFHA.688@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>I can only say it works in XP for me "just tested".
> Good luck.
>
> "PeteWalburn" <PeteWalburn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:CCCE383B-CAE1-4C73-8B38-0CA74703F21D@microsoft.com...
>> Hi,
>>
>> In Windows Explorer, if I right-click a folder and select Search..., then
>> enter a word in the "A word or phrase in the file:" box and press the
>> Search
>> button, I always receive the message "Search is complete. There are no
>> results to display."
>>
>> I know that the word that I am searching for does exist in some of the
>> files
>> in the folder. Why does the file not appear in Windows Explorer. I am
>> sure
>> that this functionality did work in previouse versions of Windows (pre
>> XP).
>>
>> Please help!
>>
>> --
>> Pete Walburn
>
>
Related resources
Anonymous
April 7, 2005 4:48:58 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

It is actually a file for a programming tool called Actuate. It is actually
a text file, but does not have a txt extension. I just tried searching a
folder that contains files with a aspx extension for some text that I know
exists (body). The search did not return the file. The file is a simple
text file and can be opened in Notepad.

Pete

"Ken" wrote:

> What kind of files is it searching?
>
>
> "shakey" <shakey@sonic.net> wrote in message
> news:uWmcy84OFHA.688@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> >I can only say it works in XP for me "just tested".
> > Good luck.
> >
> > "PeteWalburn" <PeteWalburn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > news:CCCE383B-CAE1-4C73-8B38-0CA74703F21D@microsoft.com...
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> In Windows Explorer, if I right-click a folder and select Search..., then
> >> enter a word in the "A word or phrase in the file:" box and press the
> >> Search
> >> button, I always receive the message "Search is complete. There are no
> >> results to display."
> >>
> >> I know that the word that I am searching for does exist in some of the
> >> files
> >> in the folder. Why does the file not appear in Windows Explorer. I am
> >> sure
> >> that this functionality did work in previouse versions of Windows (pre
> >> XP).
> >>
> >> Please help!
> >>
> >> --
> >> Pete Walburn
> >
> >
>
>
>
April 7, 2005 11:44:12 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Only a possibility but do you have "search all files and folders" checked?
SG

"PeteWalburn" <PeteWalburn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:E938ED52-C586-4A50-8CF1-4A6EBAF70ED2@microsoft.com...
> It is actually a file for a programming tool called Actuate. It is
> actually
> a text file, but does not have a txt extension. I just tried searching a
> folder that contains files with a aspx extension for some text that I know
> exists (body). The search did not return the file. The file is a simple
> text file and can be opened in Notepad.
>
> Pete
>
> "Ken" wrote:
>
>> What kind of files is it searching?
>>
>>
>> "shakey" <shakey@sonic.net> wrote in message
>> news:uWmcy84OFHA.688@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>> >I can only say it works in XP for me "just tested".
>> > Good luck.
>> >
>> > "PeteWalburn" <PeteWalburn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > news:CCCE383B-CAE1-4C73-8B38-0CA74703F21D@microsoft.com...
>> >> Hi,
>> >>
>> >> In Windows Explorer, if I right-click a folder and select Search...,
>> >> then
>> >> enter a word in the "A word or phrase in the file:" box and press the
>> >> Search
>> >> button, I always receive the message "Search is complete. There are no
>> >> results to display."
>> >>
>> >> I know that the word that I am searching for does exist in some of the
>> >> files
>> >> in the folder. Why does the file not appear in Windows Explorer. I
>> >> am
>> >> sure
>> >> that this functionality did work in previouse versions of Windows (pre
>> >> XP).
>> >>
>> >> Please help!
>> >>
>> >> --
>> >> Pete Walburn
>> >
>> >
>>
>>
>>
Anonymous
June 6, 2005 3:41:05 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

I have the same problem as PeteWalburn. The difference is that I was
formerly able to do "search" functions on Windows XP extremely successfully.
Now it simply gives me: "no results to display." Additionally wierd is it
takes about 1 1/2 seconds for the search to be "complete." Someone needs to
help me!
--
Rayboy


"shakey" wrote:

> Only a possibility but do you have "search all files and folders" checked?
> SG
>
> "PeteWalburn" <PeteWalburn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:E938ED52-C586-4A50-8CF1-4A6EBAF70ED2@microsoft.com...
> > It is actually a file for a programming tool called Actuate. It is
> > actually
> > a text file, but does not have a txt extension. I just tried searching a
> > folder that contains files with a aspx extension for some text that I know
> > exists (body). The search did not return the file. The file is a simple
> > text file and can be opened in Notepad.
> >
> > Pete
> >
> > "Ken" wrote:
> >
> >> What kind of files is it searching?
> >>
> >>
> >> "shakey" <shakey@sonic.net> wrote in message
> >> news:uWmcy84OFHA.688@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> >> >I can only say it works in XP for me "just tested".
> >> > Good luck.
> >> >
> >> > "PeteWalburn" <PeteWalburn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> > news:CCCE383B-CAE1-4C73-8B38-0CA74703F21D@microsoft.com...
> >> >> Hi,
> >> >>
> >> >> In Windows Explorer, if I right-click a folder and select Search...,
> >> >> then
> >> >> enter a word in the "A word or phrase in the file:" box and press the
> >> >> Search
> >> >> button, I always receive the message "Search is complete. There are no
> >> >> results to display."
> >> >>
> >> >> I know that the word that I am searching for does exist in some of the
> >> >> files
> >> >> in the folder. Why does the file not appear in Windows Explorer. I
> >> >> am
> >> >> sure
> >> >> that this functionality did work in previouse versions of Windows (pre
> >> >> XP).
> >> >>
> >> >> Please help!
> >> >>
> >> >> --
> >> >> Pete Walburn
> >> >
> >> >
> >>
> >>
> >>
>
>
>
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 11:46:05 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

On Mon, 6 Jun 2005 11:41:05 -0700, giarbi wrote:

> I have the same problem as PeteWalburn. The difference is that I was
> formerly able to do "search" functions on Windows XP extremely successfully.
> Now it simply gives me: "no results to display." Additionally wierd is it
> takes about 1 1/2 seconds for the search to be "complete." Someone needs to
> help me!

Same problem here.

Where else can we ask this?
Anonymous
June 8, 2005 12:13:45 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

On Tue, 7 Jun 2005 19:46:05 -0500, Maleki wrote:

> On Mon, 6 Jun 2005 11:41:05 -0700, giarbi wrote:
>
>> I have the same problem as PeteWalburn. The difference is that I was
>> formerly able to do "search" functions on Windows XP extremely successfully.
>> Now it simply gives me: "no results to display." Additionally wierd is it
>> takes about 1 1/2 seconds for the search to be "complete." Someone needs to
>> help me!
>
> Same problem here.
>
> Where else can we ask this?

Actually I found the solution. Win XP does not
automatically look inside every file. You would have to
tell it to look inside every unknown type of file. To
do this follow these steps (copied from Microsoft help
site):

To configure Windows XP to search all files no matter
what the file type, obtain the latest service pack for
Windows XP and then turn on the Index file types with
unknown extensions option.

If you use this method, Windows XP searches all file
types for the text that you specify. This can affect
the performance of the search functionality. To do
this:

1. Click Start, and then click Search (or point to
Search, and then click For Files or Folders).

2. Click Change preferences, and then click With
Indexing Service (for faster local searches).

3. Click Change Indexing Service Settings (Advanced).
Note that you do not have to turn on the Index
service.

4. On the toolbar, click Show/Hide Console Tree.

5. In the left pane, right-click Indexing Service on
Local Machine, and then click Properties.

6. On the Generation tab, click to select the Index
files with unknown extensions check box, and then
click OK.

7. Close the Indexing Service console.
!