help please, computer starting trouble

i went to turn on my computer this morning and nothing, no sound or
anything...i unplugged the power cord from the back of the computer,
after unplugging it from the surge protector, plugged it back in and
still nothing...after a few minutes i tried again and it came on.
can someone tell me what is wrong? is the power cord getting bad? or
something else?
i have had to do this a couple of times before but on those occasions
the computer hummed but didn't start up whereas this time there wasn't
even a hum when i first tried to start it this morning.

thanks for any help
gail

hp 7920
windows xp
sp1
128 MB memory
2 answers Last reply
More about help please computer starting trouble

    you should check your power supply. It's the thing where the power cord
    sticks into the back of the PC. Power supplies are often the first thing to
    quit working on a computer, statistically. If you are unsure on how to do
    this, have your computer looked at by a professional. ;)

    "Gail B" wrote:

    > i went to turn on my computer this morning and nothing, no sound or
    > anything...i unplugged the power cord from the back of the computer,
    > after unplugging it from the surge protector, plugged it back in and
    > still nothing...after a few minutes i tried again and it came on.
    > can someone tell me what is wrong? is the power cord getting bad? or
    > something else?
    > i have had to do this a couple of times before but on those occasions
    > the computer hummed but didn't start up whereas this time there wasn't
    > even a hum when i first tried to start it this morning.
    >
    > thanks for any help
    > gail
    >
    > hp 7920
    > windows xp
    > sp1
    > 128 MB memory

    thank you for the info. i have no idea how to check it so will need to
    take it in to have it checked.
    gail

Computers Microsoft Power Surge Protector Windows XP