nVidia riva tnt model 64 pro

SuperK

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2004
I have been having random computer lock-ups. Computer passes passmark benchmark tests. Ran aida32 and it recommended that I update video bios. I'm familiar with system bios which I have updated to latest version. But need some help to update video bios any suggestions?

SuperK

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2004
Yes have latest nvidia driver dated 12/2003. Video bios is old from like 1999. I'm wondering if there is a conflict with the video bios and windows xp. seams to lock-up when swithing windows fast intermittently.

sparky853

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003
If I were you, I would switch back to an earlier version of the drivers. I have the GF3 Ti and find that any drivers past v44.03 just slow down/drgrade performance, as there are lots of "extras" in the new drivers that my card doesn't support.

Just a suggestion...

Spec:
Intel P4 2.4B
MSI 645E Max-U Mobo
512MB DDR333
GF3 ti200 64MB
SB Live 5.1
WD 60GB
Maxtor 120GB
LG 12x8x32 CDR
WIN2K PRO SP4

coolsquirtle

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2003
check this place...

<A HREF="http://www.nvplanet.com/index.php" target="_new">http://www.nvplanet.com/index.php</A>

RIP Block Heater....HELLO P4~~~~~
120% nVidia Fanboy
never tried to go crazy when it comes to o/cing.
THGC's resident Asian and Graphics Forum's resident nVboy :D

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
Interesting, the card could just be going bad. Unless the problem is strictly happening in XP.
Try turning down hardware acceleration to off and see if that changes matters.

Does it lockup in games? I know that card wont handle much but you could try some older D3D or OGL games.
Do a search for the old Monster Truck Madness demo. Or Motocross Madness 1 demo from MS.
Click on start, then run, then type in dxdiag... in the video card section theres 2D/D3D tests that you can run.

Also, check your power supply unit out if its old.

Check into those things, swap out some parts one by one if possible.

Feel free to ask me questions by PM or reply directly to me in the forum with your results if you wish (so I get an email notification), I'm a decent troubleshooter.

As far as video bios, I'd probably forget it if I were you.. unless that link CoolS gave you has something.

Check your bios options on your motherboard and see what things are set at also.

Good luck!

----
Support the NV/AMD/IBM axis of evil.
Who cares about HL2/D3 when we have Call of Duty today!!

SuperK

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2004
If card was going bad would'nt it show up in benchmark test? I turned down video acceleration and see what happens. Bios st at 128mb aperture, driving value da,and agp 4x(these are the only values to change in this bios) I've also tried changing driving value to ea but no help. Installed new psu(have had this problem before) no help.I use adware 6.0, spybot, avg anti-virus and xp firewall. Have 3rd party cookies turned off in ie6 so i rarely get any spyware. I was thinking maybe windows registry? I would think if a registry entry was the culprit it would be linked to a specific action. This problem is random and does not apply to a specific event. No help in event viewer it does not recognize the screen freeze as a problem. This motherboard is about to become scrap. I have a Abit kr7a-raid board my college prof. gave me. I think I'm going to build that one instead. I would like to still fix this one for internet use for my college bound daughter. That way she stays away from mine!

tombance

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
Not sure why, but its not exactly going to make any performance difference on that card :smile:

<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=7454540" target="_new">Yay, I Finally broke the 12k barrier!!</A>

SuperK

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2004
Well spoke too soon after 3days of running ok I (I wasn't using computer too much) It did it again. I wonder if I am caught in this via looping issue I have been reading about on Via website? I cahnged my compter to standard pc instead of acpi. and reassaigned irq's to all be on seperate irq's. This helped performance but still get intermittent screen freeze. According to Via this may be the result of the process between video card and cpu getting stuck in an infinate loop. I thought because so many items under same irq(in acpi mode),that I may have had a conflict so I changed it(I must say processes run faster with irq's seperate) I have via 4.43 drivers installed and latest nvidia drivers(also rolled nvidia driver back to test). Computer passes bechchmarks and memory test's. I have new cpu and video card I purchased for another board. But before I change them Just wondering if anyone may have any other idea's???????
Ecs k7vza ver 3.0 Latest 3.7 bios
2x256 kingston pc133 ram CL3
tnt riva model 64 video card
athlon 1.0Ghz cpu set at 133fsb so cpu reads @ 1333Mhz
wd 120gb 8mb buffer 7200 rpm drive
dvd player
memorex cd burner

Thanks for all the input guys you have been most helpful!!!