Display problems for DOS in XP

I am running an old DOS based PCB design and circuit diagram drawing program
(EasyPC) and am having problems with the display. Text becomes unreadable -
letters are replaced with nonsense characters, I've tried changing the
codepage (using CHCP) to no avail. If anyone has any ideas they'd be much
appreciated.
Alun
5 answers Last reply
More about display problems

    In news:030FAC60-BC33-4724-A27C-D75CE5C176D8@microsoft.com,
    Beardy Alun <BeardyAlun@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

    > I am running an old DOS based PCB design and circuit diagram drawing
    > program (EasyPC) and am having problems with the display. Text
    > becomes unreadable - letters are replaced with nonsense characters,
    > I've tried changing the codepage (using CHCP) to no avail. If anyone
    > has any ideas they'd be much appreciated.
    > Alun

    Assuming you've already tried compatability mode options for 98 or 95...

    DOSBox, a x86 emulator with DOS:
    http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/

    Give that a try and it might very well be your answer. It's a bit of a trick
    getting it setup the first time but after you've undergone the learning
    curve (it's not too hard) you'll probably love it and give up on XP's DOS
    emulation mode.

    Galen

    DOSBox looks good. Only problem is I don't seem to be able to get support for
    UK keyboard, have I missed something?
    Thanks
    Alun

    In news:6B035AD7-D15B-4033-B2D5-90C1237AC149@microsoft.com,
    Beardy Alun <BeardyAlun@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

    > DOSBox looks good. Only problem is I don't seem to be able to get
    > support for UK keyboard, have I missed something?
    > Thanks
    > Alun

    Well... You sure like to make things tough don't you? <grins>

    Go here:

    http://help.fdos.org/en/hhstndrd/xkeyb.htm

    Then download the application (XKeyb) from any of the download sites listed
    here:

    http://www.google.com/search?num=100&hl=en&lr=&newwindow=1&safe=off&q=Xkeyb

    Galen

    All looked good for a while, until I tried to use the backslash key and out
    popped a hash. Could it be that the USB keyboard supplied by Dell doesn't
    quite work as well as the PS2 and older keyboards in DosBox? I've tried using
    the scan keyboard function supplied with Xkeyb19 to create a new .key file
    for this keyboard whilst in the Microsoft XP DOS environment with no success.
    Many thanks for your help
    Alun

    In news:B0984B3A-2C75-411F-8A4C-CF1A49F65B70@microsoft.com,
    Beardy Alun <BeardyAlun@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

    > All looked good for a while, until I tried to use the backslash key
    > and out popped a hash. Could it be that the USB keyboard supplied by
    > Dell doesn't quite work as well as the PS2 and older keyboards in
    > DosBox? I've tried using the scan keyboard function supplied with
    > Xkeyb19 to create a new .key file for this keyboard whilst in the
    > Microsoft XP DOS environment with no success. Many thanks for your
    > help
    > Alun

    Alun,

    I'm going to be completely honest with you. I haven't a clue but in turn I
    suspect that the USB keyboard may, indeed, be a part of the problem. I would
    give it a shot with a PS2 keyboard and see if that fixes the problem. While
    it's not a long term solution it might get you by. Beyond that, have you
    tried to find an alternative application that's newer and doesn't rely on
    DOS? I realize that this may not be something that can even be done, more so
    if it's propriatary and the company is no longer around, but MOST
    applications often have freeware alternatives. Give www.snapfiles.com a try
    to see if there's something that fits your needs as well if you'd like.
    They're good about letting you know if it's ad supported (most aren't there)
    and they only keep 'clean' files there for the most part. I've never found a
    single bit of malware there.

    Galen

DOS Windows XP Displays