Display problems for DOS in XP

April 7, 2005 12:41:07 PM

I am running an old DOS based PCB design and circuit diagram drawing program
(EasyPC) and am having problems with the display. Text becomes unreadable -
letters are replaced with nonsense characters, I've tried changing the
codepage (using CHCP) to no avail. If anyone has any ideas they'd be much
appreciated.
Alun

More about : display problems dos

April 7, 2005 7:31:58 PM

In news:030FAC60-BC33-4724-A27C-D75CE5C176D8@microsoft.com,
Beardy Alun <BeardyAlun@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> I am running an old DOS based PCB design and circuit diagram drawing
> program (EasyPC) and am having problems with the display. Text
> becomes unreadable - letters are replaced with nonsense characters,
> I've tried changing the codepage (using CHCP) to no avail. If anyone
> has any ideas they'd be much appreciated.
> Alun

Assuming you've already tried compatability mode options for 98 or 95...

DOSBox, a x86 emulator with DOS:
http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/

Give that a try and it might very well be your answer. It's a bit of a trick
getting it setup the first time but after you've undergone the learning
curve (it's not too hard) you'll probably love it and give up on XP's DOS
emulation mode.

Galen
April 11, 2005 5:18:01 AM

DOSBox looks good. Only problem is I don't seem to be able to get support for
UK keyboard, have I missed something?
Thanks
Alun

"Galen" wrote:

> In news:030FAC60-BC33-4724-A27C-D75CE5C176D8@microsoft.com,
> Beardy Alun <BeardyAlun@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> > I am running an old DOS based PCB design and circuit diagram drawing
> > program (EasyPC) and am having problems with the display. Text
> > becomes unreadable - letters are replaced with nonsense characters,
> > I've tried changing the codepage (using CHCP) to no avail. If anyone
> > has any ideas they'd be much appreciated.
> > Alun
>
> Assuming you've already tried compatability mode options for 98 or 95...
>
> DOSBox, a x86 emulator with DOS:
> http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/
>
> Give that a try and it might very well be your answer. It's a bit of a trick
> getting it setup the first time but after you've undergone the learning
> curve (it's not too hard) you'll probably love it and give up on XP's DOS
> emulation mode.
>
> Galen
> --
> Signature changed for a moment of silence.
> Rest well Alex and we'll see you on the other side.

Related resources
April 12, 2005 12:26:19 AM

In news:6B035AD7-D15B-4033-B2D5-90C1237AC149@microsoft.com,
Beardy Alun <BeardyAlun@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> DOSBox looks good. Only problem is I don't seem to be able to get
> support for UK keyboard, have I missed something?
> Thanks
> Alun

Well... You sure like to make things tough don't you? <grins>

Go here:

http://help.fdos.org/en/hhstndrd/xkeyb.htm

Then download the application (XKeyb) from any of the download sites listed
here:

http://www.google.com/search?num=100&hl=en&lr=&newwindo...

Galen
April 13, 2005 11:36:06 AM

All looked good for a while, until I tried to use the backslash key and out
popped a hash. Could it be that the USB keyboard supplied by Dell doesn't
quite work as well as the PS2 and older keyboards in DosBox? I've tried using
the scan keyboard function supplied with Xkeyb19 to create a new .key file
for this keyboard whilst in the Microsoft XP DOS environment with no success.
Many thanks for your help
Alun

"Galen" wrote:

> In news:6B035AD7-D15B-4033-B2D5-90C1237AC149@microsoft.com,
> Beardy Alun <BeardyAlun@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> > DOSBox looks good. Only problem is I don't seem to be able to get
> > support for UK keyboard, have I missed something?
> > Thanks
> > Alun
>
> Well... You sure like to make things tough don't you? <grins>
>
> Go here:
>
> http://help.fdos.org/en/hhstndrd/xkeyb.htm
>
> Then download the application (XKeyb) from any of the download sites listed
> here:
>
> http://www.google.com/search?num=100&hl=en&lr=&newwindo...
>
> Galen
> --
> Signature changed for a moment of silence.
> Rest well Alex and we'll see you on the other side.

April 13, 2005 9:10:49 PM

In news:B0984B3A-2C75-411F-8A4C-CF1A49F65B70@microsoft.com,
Beardy Alun <BeardyAlun@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> All looked good for a while, until I tried to use the backslash key
> and out popped a hash. Could it be that the USB keyboard supplied by
> Dell doesn't quite work as well as the PS2 and older keyboards in
> DosBox? I've tried using the scan keyboard function supplied with
> Xkeyb19 to create a new .key file for this keyboard whilst in the
> Microsoft XP DOS environment with no success. Many thanks for your
> help
> Alun

Alun,

I'm going to be completely honest with you. I haven't a clue but in turn I
suspect that the USB keyboard may, indeed, be a part of the problem. I would
give it a shot with a PS2 keyboard and see if that fixes the problem. While
it's not a long term solution it might get you by. Beyond that, have you
tried to find an alternative application that's newer and doesn't rely on
DOS? I realize that this may not be something that can even be done, more so
if it's propriatary and the company is no longer around, but MOST
applications often have freeware alternatives. Give www.snapfiles.com a try
to see if there's something that fits your needs as well if you'd like.
They're good about letting you know if it's ad supported (most aren't there)
and they only keep 'clean' files there for the most part. I've never found a
single bit of malware there.

Galen