Boot from USB drive

Hi,
I have a Dell Dim 4550, does anyone know if I can select in the BIOS to
boot from a USB HDD?
Thnx 8
10 answers Last reply
More about boot drive

    braine_dead@lycos.com wrote:

    >Hi,
    >I have a Dell Dim 4550, does anyone know if I can select in the BIOS to
    >boot from a USB HDD?
    >Thnx 8

    I have an Inspiron 8200 laptop. Don't see any setting in the BIOS for
    that, but wish I could do it.

    Jerry Park said the following on 1/30/2005 7:33 AM:
    > braine_dead@lycos.com wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >> I have a Dell Dim 4550, does anyone know if I can select in the BIOS to
    >> boot from a USB HDD?
    >> Thnx 8
    >>

    > I have an Inspiron 8200 laptop. Don't see any setting in the BIOS for
    > that, but wish I could do it.

    I have an Inspirion 8500 and the option to boot from USB is there. It
    wasn't available in the original, A01, BIOS so perhaps you need to
    upgrade your BIOS.

    --

    Kirk

    "Screw the planes, take a train", Me

    'Captain' Kirk DeHaan wrote:

    > Jerry Park said the following on 1/30/2005 7:33 AM:
    >
    >> braine_dead@lycos.com wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi,
    >>> I have a Dell Dim 4550, does anyone know if I can select in the BIOS to
    >>> boot from a USB HDD?
    >>> Thnx 8
    >>>

    >> I have an Inspiron 8200 laptop. Don't see any setting in the BIOS for
    >> that, but wish I could do it.
    >

    > I have an Inspirion 8500 and the option to boot from USB is there. It
    > wasn't available in the original, A01, BIOS so perhaps you need to
    > upgrade your BIOS.

    I'm using the latest BIOS. There are options to do a network boot, but
    not a direct boot.

    braine_dead@lycos.com wrote:

    ->Hi,
    ->I have a Dell Dim 4550, does anyone know if I can select in the BIOS
    ->boot from a USB HDD?
    ->Thnx 8

    The manual for my 2400 suggests hitting F12 when you see the Dell logo
    - but before you see the windows logo. Hit the on switch and then hold
    F12, I guess.

    You will need to make sure the device is bootable - but I have no idea
    how to do this.........
    --

    Cheers!
    Fr Jack

    "Fr Jack" <sp@mtrap.com> wrote in message
    > braine_dead@lycos.com wrote:
    >
    > ->Hi,
    > ->I have a Dell Dim 4550, does anyone know if I can select in the BIOS
    > ->boot from a USB HDD?
    > ->Thnx 8
    >
    > The manual for my 2400 suggests hitting F12 when you see the Dell logo
    > - but before you see the windows logo. Hit the on switch and then hold
    > F12, I guess.

    I think you will find the option is available when a suitable usb device is
    attached (on a 2400 anyway!

    Chris

    Here is a simple utility that will make USB device bootable.
    I used USB pen drive and booted my Dell Inspiron bought Aug 04

    This utility only usefull for booting into DOS /Win

    http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/hpcpqdt/us/download/20306.html

    Here is more advanced info

    http://www.weethet.nl/english/hardware_bootfromusbstick.php

    I would like to extract the boot sectors from Spinrite 6 (non DOS) and
    make pen drive bootable, then copy Spinrite 6 to pen drive.

    Its been a while since I reviewed these pages.
    Perhaps Barts MKBT might do the trick.

    If anyone has done this please provide info.

    gg

    On 30 Jan 2005 06:23:33 -0800, braine_dead@lycos.com wrote:

    >Hi,
    >I have a Dell Dim 4550, does anyone know if I can select in the BIOS to
    >boot from a USB HDD?
    >Thnx 8

    I reflashed the A04 to A08 BIOS...now in 'Hard Drive Sequence' there is
    the option 'USB Device'
    All is well...thanks!

    But will this work with an external USB hard drive, or only with the
    small flash drives that plug into a USB port?

    braine_dead@lycos.com wrote:
    > I reflashed the A04 to A08 BIOS...now in 'Hard Drive Sequence' there is
    > the option 'USB Device'
    > All is well...thanks!

    What are you wanting to boot from the external USB? [AFAIK XP won't
    boot from external USB because there are no descriptors for same to
    use in boot.ini]

    "Kenneth J. Harris" <kharris@suffolk.lib.ny.us> wrote in message
    > But will this work with an external USB hard drive, or only with the
    > small flash drives that plug into a USB port?
    >
    > braine_dead@lycos.com wrote:
    >> I reflashed the A04 to A08 BIOS...now in 'Hard Drive Sequence'
    >> there is
    >> the option 'USB Device'
    >> All is well...thanks!

    If a motherboard BIOS offers the option to boot from a USB drive, it can be any
    type of drive (hard drive, flash drive, CD-ROM drive) as long as the media has
    been partitioned, formatted, and loaded with the necessary software to make it
    bootable. The challenge, of course, is setting up the media to be bootable.

    .... Ben Myers

    On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 09:51:25 -0500, "Kenneth J. Harris"
    <kharris@suffolk.lib.ny.us> wrote:

    >But will this work with an external USB hard drive, or only with the
    >small flash drives that plug into a USB port?
    >
    >braine_dead@lycos.com wrote:
    >> I reflashed the A04 to A08 BIOS...now in 'Hard Drive Sequence' there is
    >> the option 'USB Device'
    >> All is well...thanks!

Dell Boot USB Drive Computers