HELP - NEED TO UNINSTALL SP2 on AMD based XP Home PC!!

Wipeout

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2004

Hi,

I have a customers PC which is an AMD 64 and is totally screwed after
SP2 was installed, she said it popped up telling her updates were
available so she installed them, I can only imagine how long it must
have taken on a modem dial-up connection..

When I first got the PC it was only able to get into safe mode but
nothing would run once you were there..

Setting..
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\intelppm]
"Start"=dword:00000004
...made it possible to do a normal boot but it took absolutely ages to
get to the login screen..

Even though I am now able to log in I am not able to uninstal SP2.. I
have even tried changing the boot.ini to /NoExecute=AlwaysOff but bootup
still takes forever and the uninstall of SP2 will not work..

System restore will also not run so I can't use that either..

Really I need help with this one in a big way so if anyone has any ideas
I am all ears..

Thanks..

Uninstall from the Add/Remove Programs applet. It sounds like your customer
also needs to have you reformat and clean install XP. Make sure you clear
this with her as she may have data on the system that will need to be backed
up.

"WipeOut" <me@here.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have a customers PC which is an AMD 64 and is totally screwed after
> SP2 was installed, she said it popped up telling her updates were
> available so she installed them, I can only imagine how long it must
> have taken on a modem dial-up connection..
>
> When I first got the PC it was only able to get into safe mode but
> nothing would run once you were there..
>
> Setting..
> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\intelppm]
> "Start"=dword:00000004
> ..made it possible to do a normal boot but it took absolutely ages to
> get to the login screen..
>
> Even though I am now able to log in I am not able to uninstal SP2.. I
> have even tried changing the boot.ini to /NoExecute=AlwaysOff but bootup
> still takes forever and the uninstall of SP2 will not work..
>
> System restore will also not run so I can't use that either..
>
> Really I need help with this one in a big way so if anyone has any ideas
> I am all ears..
>
> Thanks..

Wipeout

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2004

Kevin,
Thanks for replying..

I have tried using Add/Remove programs and it launches the uninstall
wizard and I click to continue and then the wizard just stops right
there, I left it for over an hour and it didn't progress any further..

I was hoping to get the PC back to a state prior to the SP2 install to
avoid having to do a full rebuild of the whole system but it looks like
that not going to be possible..

Later..

Kevin wrote:
> Uninstall from the Add/Remove Programs applet. It sounds like your customer
> also needs to have you reformat and clean install XP. Make sure you clear
> this with her as she may have data on the system that will need to be backed
> up.
>
> "WipeOut" <me@here.com> wrote in message
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>I have a customers PC which is an AMD 64 and is totally screwed after
>>SP2 was installed, she said it popped up telling her updates were
>>available so she installed them, I can only imagine how long it must
>>have taken on a modem dial-up connection..
>>
>>When I first got the PC it was only able to get into safe mode but
>>nothing would run once you were there..
>>
>>Setting..
>>[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\intelppm]
>>"Start"=dword:00000004
>>..made it possible to do a normal boot but it took absolutely ages to
>>get to the login screen..
>>
>>Even though I am now able to log in I am not able to uninstal SP2.. I
>>have even tried changing the boot.ini to /NoExecute=AlwaysOff but bootup
>>still takes forever and the uninstall of SP2 will not work..
>>
>>System restore will also not run so I can't use that either..
>>
>>Really I need help with this one in a big way so if anyone has any ideas
>>I am all ears..
>>
>>Thanks..

I just recall reading something about SP 2 and 64 bit processors. Check to
see if SP 2 is compatible with that AMD 64 bit processor and chipset
instructions. That could be the problem. I'm not sure, so do some looking.
There could be a patch for it. In any event, it does certainly sound like
you will be formatting and reinstalling XP.