GeforceFX 5900(Non-Ultra) - Power Problems??

DarkriftXX

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2004
I recently purchased a BFG GeForceFX 5900 (Non-Ultra) video card. I have been having problems running benchmarks, ie 3dmark series, Aquamark, etc since I've purchased this card. The benchmarks will be going along just fine and then they just exit or crash. My machine never resets, the programs just quit working. Is this a power supply issue or something else? I can play games just fine (at least the one's that I have tried - DeusEx: IW, Prince Of Persia: SOT, NFSU), its the benchmark apps that give me trouble. Here are my machine specs in case they might help:

Athlon XP 2500+ @ 2800+ (Watercooled - Koolance EXOS)
2 sticks Corsair XMS (CAS 2) 512MB DDR333 (running in dual-channel mode)
Epox 8RDA+ NForce2 MCP-T (333 MHz FSB)
GeForceFX 5900 128MB DDR (non-ultra)
Western Digital 40GB 5400 RPM hard drive
Western Digital 40GB 7200 RPM hard drive
Western Digital 80GB 7200 RPM hard drive (8MB cache)
Sound Blaster Audigy
16x10x40 Lite-On CD-RW Drive
16x DVD ROM Drive
Antec TruePower 430 Watt Power supply
USB Keyboard and Mouse
USB Gamepad, USB Printer, USB Scanner
Serial Gameport Joystick - runs off of interface plug-in from SB Audigy
Two 80mm exhaust fans
One 120mm intake fan
One 60mm chipset cooling fan

Thank you for your time.

Vimp

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2003
Sounds to me like either a software issue or some sort of hardware conflict. Do you by chance get an error when the apps close?

Creative SoundBlaster Live! Value.

pauldh

Illustrious
I don't see it listed, but I take it you are running Win XP. That is what XP commonly does when it encounters a problem. At least it is better than the old Lockups in Win 98. I'd try uninstalling the benchmark itself and then reinstalling it with the latest version. If you have the latest, try uninstalling/reinstalling again anyway.

What card did you have before?

ABIT IS7, P4 2.6C, 512MB Corsair TwinX PC3200LL, Radeon 9500 Pro, Santa Cruz, Antec 1000AMG, TruePower 430watt

DarkriftXX

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2004
I am using Windows XP Professional SP1. The behavior you both have described is correct with Windows dumping back to the desktop with an error message (usually an exception thrown), or nothing at all. However, the nothing at all behavior is the most frequent, as if I had quit the program on my own. I have reinstalled all benchmarks and I still get the same behavior. The graphics card I had before was a GeForce4 Ti4600. I'm still wondering, that when the 5900 ramps up to 3d mode (400 Mhz, rather than the 2d mode default of 300 Mhz), that the power consumption becomes too much for my 430 watt supply(410 max as it reads on the side of the PS unit). Any more help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

DarkriftXX

pauldh

Illustrious
What steps did you take to remove the old drivers before pulling your ti4600 out?

ABIT IS7, P4 2.6C, 512MB Corsair TwinX PC3200LL, Radeon 9500 Pro, Santa Cruz, Antec 1000AMG, TruePower 430watt

DarkriftXX

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2004
I have never had a problem with switching video cards and having to downgrade the video drivers before the switch (maybe on older via chipsets and win2000). I have checked the version that both RivaTuner and the NVIDIA control panel display and all dll's associated with the graphics card report back that they are 53.03's. Could this be false?

Thanks,
<b>DarkriftXX</b>

<i>"Perfection is the ultimate flaw." <b>- Unknown</b></i> :eek:

pauldh

Illustrious
Have you tried uninstalling the drivers through add/remove programs, and reinstalling them? Usually you are fine just popping in another NVidia card, but when problems arise, I'd try this first.

DarkriftXX

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2004
I seem to have solved my problem with the GeForceFX 5900. The first thing I did was add an extra power supply (no-name 300 watt) to the PC. This power supply runs all of the fans, the hard drives, and the Koolance EXOS. The primary power supply (Antec TruePower 430 watt) runs the motherboard, memory, graphics card, sound cards, my optical drives, etc. After this, I had to re-install DirectX9 to get 3dmark2001SE to work (3dmark03 worked good). The only problem I'm having now is that 3dmark2001SE tells me that my cpu frequency is fluctuating during the test. I also boosted the voltage to the AGP bus up by 0.1 volts and upped the RAM voltage to 2.77 volts from its default of 2.63. I may need now to up the CPU voltage to make sure its frequency remains stable. Thank you all who gave suggestions and advice.

Thanks,
<b>DarkriftXX</b>

<i>"Perfection is the ultimate flaw." <b>- Unknown</b></i> :eek:

Run your optical drives off the cheaper PSU. They don't draw too much and will be fine on it, but they draw enough to change you power characteristics to your main system, and despite what we may think they are NOT core components.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil: