Flickering tv-out

webpoet

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2004
I have for quite some time now hade my tv (Sony KV-32FX65E) connected to my computer via scart->vcr->scartadapter->S-video cable->Hightech Excalibur 9600 Pro and it has worked great.

Then yesterday I had accidently set my tv to "smart" mode instead of "wide" which cut the picture off somewhat. Before I discovered this I had tried to fix it by changing all of the settings in the computer for the different display devices, upgraded from Catalyst 3.9 to 4.1 and disconnected and re-connected all cables.
Once I figured out it was the tv it fixed it and the picture wasn't "cut off" any more. However, now the picture on my tv from the computer looks like crap. It's flickering, especially in white areas, and there is like pink lines all over the screen. The picture is also almost (but not entirely) black and white.

Again I've tried connecting the cables in different ways (including disconnecting all other cables from the tv) and tried all possible settings, but nothing helps.

Does anyone know what I could possibly have done to cause this and how I would go about solving it ? Could I have damaged the tv-out on my graphics card ?

cleeve

Illustrious
Might have damaged the pins when you changed cables...

Either it's a bad signal (due to a bad cable/broken pins on the card), or the card itself is damaged somehow.

ytoledano

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2003
That sounds like you have the wrong PAL/NTSC signal selected, that what it looks like to me.

Got a nice overclocked overvolted system to keep you warm at night? That's great. Guess I'll have to settle for a woman...

cleeve

Illustrious
That can't be the problem ytoledano, it worked fine before he changed the settings.

I think to change from NTSC to PAL you need a new BIOS, or at least to fiddle with some dip switches on the card...

ytoledano

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2003
Actually, I can change the output signal of my Radeon 9600P to anything I like (PAL B, PAL D, NTSC M, NTSC (Japan)...). I know I have the Omega driver but I'm pretty sure that the regular drivers let you do it too (why wouldn't they?) I also remember that I could select the signal on my Geforce4 MX with default drivers.

Got a nice overclocked overvolted system to keep you warm at night? That's great. Guess I'll have to settle for a woman...

cleeve

Illustrious
I don't think the stock catalysts let you do that, dude.

webpoet

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2004
Well, it is set to Pal B which is was when it was working. However, as I recall the problem did start when I tried changing to something else (not NTSC tho, but some other PAL setting). However changing back doesn't seem to help.

ytoledano

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2003
That's weird, do you have any other Multi-system device (like the TV or VCR) which might not be set properly? (You said that you messed around with everything)

webpoet

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2004
Well, except for the cables I didn't do anything to the tv.

Also, I tried changing the setting to NTSC just to test and that produced a pretty good picture but without color of course. That atleast raised my hopes that the card isn't broken.

Still no closer to fixing the problem tho :(

TRENDING THREADS