9600xt freezing

tom1379

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2004
Hi, ive recently bought this card and when playing older games, delta force 2, ive noticed that it freezes occasionally and i am forced to reboot.

Recently, i bought call of duty and although the graphics card is not overclocked at all that froze after about 2 minutes of playing. When i reinstalled the drivers it seemed to work better and it also works for a lot longer when i open my case and the window next to it!

I am using a saphire radeon with the 3.8 catalyst drivers and i have heard this problem from some other people but noone can work out why it is. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks and by the way i am currently using win98

What is your system config.

Mobo, etc, plus what are your settings in the ATI Control Panel. Fastwrites on/off? Etc.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

tom1379

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2004
sorry, yeh, its not an upgrade its newly built and ive got a p4p800 and a p4 2.6c @3.1GHz and 512mb hyper x pc 3200 ram, fastwrites are on and it freezes with any combination of aa and af but i am using application preferance at the moment. Its at 1000*768(not exactly 1000 obviously) and i think thats everything

pauldh

Illustrious
Have you tried stock speeds? ie. no overclocking? Still the same problems?

ABIT IS7, P4 2.6C, 512MB Corsair TwinX PC3200LL, Radeon 9500 Pro, Santa Cruz, Antec 1000AMG, TruePower 430watt

pauldh

Illustrious
It might not be the Radeon freezing. Are your trying to run your memory clock in sync with your fsb? A P4 2.6 @3.1 GHZ in sync with PC3200, that's not a winning combo. Again, try running th P4 at 2.6GHZ and test everything, if no problems, then you aren't getting a stable OC of the cpu, which might be your RAM.

ABIT IS7, P4 2.6C, 512MB Corsair TwinX PC3200LL, Radeon 9500 Pro, Santa Cruz, Antec 1000AMG, TruePower 430watt

pauldh

Illustrious
Thx. With your 3dmarks, I would wager you've seen quite a few OC lockups yourself.

Vimp

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2003
I would thought it was obvious. Everyone knows that when you OC you run the risk of over heating or instability so I dunno why your even on here asking what the problem is when you have your cpu overclocked so much. I mean if I decided to OC my 1.83 amd to 2.2ghz and all the sudden my programs start locking up, which is one of the most common symtoms of overheating, then the first thing I'd do is reduce the clock. I wouldn't come asking people why its freezing.

Sorry, I appreciate not everyone may know these things. But if you know how to overclock in the first place then I would think you would take the time to find out what the consequences are of doing so before you go ahead and do it.

<font color=blue>_____________________________________</font color=blue>
Vancouver, B.C., Canada
Asus A7N8X-X, Athelon XP 2500+ Barton,
Samsung 512mb DDR400, Creative Geforce2 GTS,
SoundBlaster Live! Value.

GeneticWeapon

Splendid
Jan 13, 2003
Thx. With your 3dmarks, I would wager you've seen quite a few OC lockups yourself.
Actually, since I've gone nForce2, my system will instantly reboot when it loses stability. Pushing the core on my radeon too far will give me a lockup, but I see alot of artifacting before that happens :wink:

P.S.
I dont consider my score to be that good. I was bummed when I didnt hit 6K 3DMarks on my first run with this card.
Thanx though :smile:

<b>I help because you suck</b>
<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=1819095" target="_new"><b>3DMark03</b></A>

pauldh

Illustrious
Well, I think it beat my score. I bought one of those circuit city $200 radeon 9800's too. Put it on a Soltek/XP2500@XP3200 (11x200). Ran great. Mine had the hynix memory though and I couldn't hit Pro speeds to support a Pro bios flash. I forget how high I got it. I think mem was about like yours, but you got the core higher than I did. Unfortunately, I didn't keep it for myself. I have missed that card and wished I had bought 2 of them.

GeneticWeapon

Splendid
Jan 13, 2003
My card has Infinion 3.0ns ram on it, and I would trade it for Hynix any day. Why didnt you keep that card?

<b>I help because you suck</b>
<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=1819095" target="_new"><b>3DMark03</b></A>

pauldh

Illustrious
SORRY! Blumbering idiot syndrom. LOL

Mine had the infinion too! My mistake. :redface:

pauldh

Illustrious
The infinion was the reason I didn't keep it. I had my heart set on hitting Pro mem speeds. As soon as I cracked open the box, I looked at the mem, and felt let down. Still a nice card though. And much quicker than my 9500 pro.

tom1379

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2004
I have now underclocked everything nack down and the problem still persists, i think it may be a problem due to overheating with the skimpy fan on the sapphire radeon 9600xt compared to others as there are a lot of people with the same problem and they all have the sapphire version.

Have you tried turning FASWRITES OFF? You mention it is on. I had a hell of a time with Fastwrites, until I upgraded the BIOS. Try running with FASTWRITES off, the difference in perfromance is very minor for the R9600 level cards, and it is the source of instability for many people. So much so that it is constantly mentioned in graphics card overviews, and many tweaked drivers, like OMEGA, have it off by default.

I would try that because it does sound like that more than anything else, and do it while the CPU et al is at stock.

That would be my suggestion for now.

I would doubt it's an overheating issue, unless it's an R9600PRO posing as an XT the way PowerColor did. The LOW-K process should have NO PROBLEM running at 500mhz. Heck my BBA R9600Pro can run for hours without issue @ 530mhz, on a similarly skimpy HSF.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

tom1379

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2004
Hi thanks for the advice, i have 'declocked' everything and have turned the fastwrites off and it still freezes every so often but definately not as much