Backup to a CD

I'm trying to backup information from Quicken 2000 to a CD and am trying to
figure out an easier way to do it.

1) Can I setup my CD or CD-RW as an alternate drive? HOW?
2) Can I create a desktop icon that will burn the files I specify?
3) Can I link a icon on the desktop to a ".bat" or something with the
command line "Copy c:\*.txt d:\"

Any ideas besides third party software?
9 answers Last reply
More about backup

    I simply save it to a HD file in my documents then copy that collection of
    quicken files to CD. I have been told there is no direct way.
    SG
    "HotRod" <NOSPAM@youremail.com> wrote in message
    > I'm trying to backup information from Quicken 2000 to a CD and am trying
    > to figure out an easier way to do it.
    >
    > 1) Can I setup my CD or CD-RW as an alternate drive? HOW?
    > 2) Can I create a desktop icon that will burn the files I specify?
    > 3) Can I link a icon on the desktop to a ".bat" or something with the
    > command line "Copy c:\*.txt d:\"
    >
    > Any ideas besides third party software?

    Simply burn the Quicken files to a CD.

    "HotRod" <NOSPAM@youremail.com> wrote in message
    > I'm trying to backup information from Quicken 2000 to a CD and am trying
    > figure out an easier way to do it.
    >
    > 1) Can I setup my CD or CD-RW as an alternate drive? HOW?
    > 2) Can I create a desktop icon that will burn the files I specify?
    > 3) Can I link a icon on the desktop to a ".bat" or something with the
    > command line "Copy c:\*.txt d:\"
    >
    > Any ideas besides third party software?

    OK the real problem here is that I have a user who is 75 that has used
    Quicken for a long time, she use to back everything up to multiple floppy
    disks. I've tried to talk and walk her through burning them to CD but since
    this is something totally new she is getting frustrated with the multiple
    steps involved instead of going back to floppies.

    If she is not willing to simply use the Windows CD Writing Wizard to burn
    the Quicken files, she can then purchase a new version of Quicken 2005 and
    it will have CD burning as a backup option from the get-go.

    > OK the real problem here is that I have a user who is 75 that has used
    > Quicken for a long time, she use to back everything up to multiple floppy
    > disks. I've tried to talk and walk her through burning them to CD but
    since
    > this is something totally new she is getting frustrated with the multiple
    > steps involved instead of going back to floppies.

    Yes and no: It will save to the temporary cd burning file which then must be
    saved to CD. XP complicates life by not allowing direct saves.
    SG
    "Kevin" <webman6@hot4mail.com> wrote in message
    > If she is not willing to simply use the Windows CD Writing Wizard to burn
    > the Quicken files, she can then purchase a new version of Quicken 2005 and
    > it will have CD burning as a backup option from the get-go.
    >
    > "HotRod" <NOSPAM@youremail.com> wrote in message
    >> OK the real problem here is that I have a user who is 75 that has used
    >> Quicken for a long time, she use to back everything up to multiple floppy
    >> disks. I've tried to talk and walk her through burning them to CD but
    > since
    >> this is something totally new she is getting frustrated with the multiple
    >> steps involved instead of going back to floppies.

    Really? I have Quicken Deluxe 2005, but I save my Quicken data to a Zip
    drive by simply choosing the drive from the Backup Quicken Data applet. It
    writes to the Zip drive with no problem. I have never used the backup
    option of burning to a CD, which is given in the backup applet, so I am not
    familiar with the steps required to do so. I can't see how it could be that
    complicated. Why can't she just use Windows Explorer to select the Quicken
    data files and then burn them to a CD-RW? Sure, the disk may have to be
    formatted first to allow for multiple sessions, but you can't have
    everything. The process is not that much more involved than saving to any
    other media type.

    HotRod wrote:
    > OK the real problem here is that I have a user who is 75 that has used
    > Quicken for a long time, she use to back everything up to multiple
    > floppy disks. I've tried to talk and walk her through burning them to CD
    > but
    > since this is something totally new she is getting frustrated with the
    > multiple steps involved instead of going back to floppies.

    Kevin wrote
    > If she is not willing to simply use the Windows CD Writing Wizard to
    > burn the Quicken files, she can then purchase a new version of Quicken
    > 2005
    > and it will have CD burning as a backup option from the get-go.

    shakey wrote

    Kevin wrote:
    > Really? I have Quicken Deluxe 2005, but I save my Quicken data to a Zip
    > drive by simply choosing the drive from the Backup Quicken Data applet.
    > It
    > writes to the Zip drive with no problem. I have never used the backup
    > option of burning to a CD, which is given in the backup applet, so I am
    > not
    > familiar with the steps required to do so. I can't see how it could be
    > that
    > complicated. Why can't she just use Windows Explorer to select the
    > Quicken
    > data files and then burn them to a CD-RW? Sure, the disk may have to be
    > formatted first to allow for multiple sessions, but you can't have
    > everything. The process is not that much more involved than saving to any
    > other media type.

    Quicken now includes CD Packet Writing software (Like that in Roxio/Nero?)
    Amazing. Although I don't see that on their web page. heh

    If you want to read up on what you can and cannot do with CD/CD-RWs in XP
    (natively) - I suggest here:
    http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpcd.htm

    --
    <- Shenan ->
    yourself before you take any advice - you are the one ultimately responsible

    IF any of you guys are I.T. you already know that there is a big difference
    between selecting Save to A:, or opening "My Computer - C: - Quicken 2000 -
    Find the files - Highlight - Choose Send to D: - Click on XP Balloon -SELECT
    Burn to CD"

    When you have a limited user adding these news steps is very confusing.
    Right now she just chooses save to a:, I have discovered a way to save the
    files directly to the staging folder which will cause CP to popup it's
    balloon for CD burning.

    Thanks for all the help so far.

    Yeah I just put my computer together and have been bashing my head trying to
    burn a backup directly to CD. I would go to backup>advanced>system
    restore>browse for the destination drive> setup a filename on the E: drive>
    then start backup

    I would get the following message:
    "The backup file name could not be used
    E:\Backup.bkf
    Please ensure it is a valid path, and that you have sufficient access"

    Would be nice how you solved the problem, but in the meantime I just backed
    it up to the hard drive and will probably burn it to DVD from there.

    "HotRod" wrote:

    > IF any of you guys are I.T. you already know that there is a big difference
    > between selecting Save to A:, or opening "My Computer - C: - Quicken 2000 -
    > Find the files - Highlight - Choose Send to D: - Click on XP Balloon -SELECT
    > Burn to CD"
    >
    > When you have a limited user adding these news steps is very confusing.
    > Right now she just chooses save to a:, I have discovered a way to save the
    > files directly to the staging folder which will cause CP to popup it's
    > balloon for CD burning.
    >
    > Thanks for all the help so far.

Desktops Backup CD-Rom Windows XP