hotrod

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2003

I'm trying to backup information from Quicken 2000 to a CD and am trying to
figure out an easier way to do it.

1) Can I setup my CD or CD-RW as an alternate drive? HOW?
2) Can I create a desktop icon that will burn the files I specify?
3) Can I link a icon on the desktop to a ".bat" or something with the
command line "Copy c:\*.txt d:\"

Any ideas besides third party software?

Shakey

Distinguished
May 6, 2004

I simply save it to a HD file in my documents then copy that collection of
quicken files to CD. I have been told there is no direct way.
SG
"HotRod" <NOSPAM@youremail.com> wrote in message
> I'm trying to backup information from Quicken 2000 to a CD and am trying
> to figure out an easier way to do it.
>
> 1) Can I setup my CD or CD-RW as an alternate drive? HOW?
> 2) Can I create a desktop icon that will burn the files I specify?
> 3) Can I link a icon on the desktop to a ".bat" or something with the
> command line "Copy c:\*.txt d:\"
>
> Any ideas besides third party software?

Simply burn the Quicken files to a CD.

"HotRod" <NOSPAM@youremail.com> wrote in message
> I'm trying to backup information from Quicken 2000 to a CD and am trying
> figure out an easier way to do it.
>
> 1) Can I setup my CD or CD-RW as an alternate drive? HOW?
> 2) Can I create a desktop icon that will burn the files I specify?
> 3) Can I link a icon on the desktop to a ".bat" or something with the
> command line "Copy c:\*.txt d:\"
>
> Any ideas besides third party software?

hotrod

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2003

OK the real problem here is that I have a user who is 75 that has used
Quicken for a long time, she use to back everything up to multiple floppy
disks. I've tried to talk and walk her through burning them to CD but since
this is something totally new she is getting frustrated with the multiple
steps involved instead of going back to floppies.

If she is not willing to simply use the Windows CD Writing Wizard to burn
the Quicken files, she can then purchase a new version of Quicken 2005 and
it will have CD burning as a backup option from the get-go.

> OK the real problem here is that I have a user who is 75 that has used
> Quicken for a long time, she use to back everything up to multiple floppy
> disks. I've tried to talk and walk her through burning them to CD but
since
> this is something totally new she is getting frustrated with the multiple
> steps involved instead of going back to floppies.

Shakey

Distinguished
May 6, 2004

Yes and no: It will save to the temporary cd burning file which then must be
saved to CD. XP complicates life by not allowing direct saves.
SG
"Kevin" <webman6@hot4mail.com> wrote in message
> If she is not willing to simply use the Windows CD Writing Wizard to burn
> the Quicken files, she can then purchase a new version of Quicken 2005 and
> it will have CD burning as a backup option from the get-go.
>
> "HotRod" <NOSPAM@youremail.com> wrote in message
>> OK the real problem here is that I have a user who is 75 that has used
>> Quicken for a long time, she use to back everything up to multiple floppy
>> disks. I've tried to talk and walk her through burning them to CD but
> since
>> this is something totally new she is getting frustrated with the multiple
>> steps involved instead of going back to floppies.

Really? I have Quicken Deluxe 2005, but I save my Quicken data to a Zip
drive by simply choosing the drive from the Backup Quicken Data applet. It
writes to the Zip drive with no problem. I have never used the backup
option of burning to a CD, which is given in the backup applet, so I am not
familiar with the steps required to do so. I can't see how it could be that
complicated. Why can't she just use Windows Explorer to select the Quicken
data files and then burn them to a CD-RW? Sure, the disk may have to be
formatted first to allow for multiple sessions, but you can't have
everything. The process is not that much more involved than saving to any
other media type.

HotRod wrote:
> OK the real problem here is that I have a user who is 75 that has used
> Quicken for a long time, she use to back everything up to multiple
> floppy disks. I've tried to talk and walk her through burning them to CD
> but
> since this is something totally new she is getting frustrated with the
> multiple steps involved instead of going back to floppies.

Kevin wrote
> If she is not willing to simply use the Windows CD Writing Wizard to
> burn the Quicken files, she can then purchase a new version of Quicken
> 2005
> and it will have CD burning as a backup option from the get-go.

shakey wrote

Kevin wrote:
> Really? I have Quicken Deluxe 2005, but I save my Quicken data to a Zip
> drive by simply choosing the drive from the Backup Quicken Data applet.
> It
> writes to the Zip drive with no problem. I have never used the backup
> option of burning to a CD, which is given in the backup applet, so I am
> not
> familiar with the steps required to do so. I can't see how it could be
> that
> complicated. Why can't she just use Windows Explorer to select the
> Quicken
> data files and then burn them to a CD-RW? Sure, the disk may have to be
> formatted first to allow for multiple sessions, but you can't have
> everything. The process is not that much more involved than saving to any
> other media type.

Quicken now includes CD Packet Writing software (Like that in Roxio/Nero?)
Amazing. Although I don't see that on their web page. heh

If you want to read up on what you can and cannot do with CD/CD-RWs in XP
(natively) - I suggest here:
http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpcd.htm

--
<- Shenan ->
yourself before you take any advice - you are the one ultimately responsible

hotrod

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2003

IF any of you guys are I.T. you already know that there is a big difference
between selecting Save to A:, or opening "My Computer - C: - Quicken 2000 -
Find the files - Highlight - Choose Send to D: - Click on XP Balloon -SELECT
Burn to CD"

When you have a limited user adding these news steps is very confusing.
Right now she just chooses save to a:, I have discovered a way to save the
files directly to the staging folder which will cause CP to popup it's
balloon for CD burning.

Thanks for all the help so far.

Yeah I just put my computer together and have been bashing my head trying to
burn a backup directly to CD. I would go to backup>advanced>system
restore>browse for the destination drive> setup a filename on the E: drive>
then start backup

I would get the following message:
"The backup file name could not be used
E:\Backup.bkf
Please ensure it is a valid path, and that you have sufficient access"

Would be nice how you solved the problem, but in the meantime I just backed
it up to the hard drive and will probably burn it to DVD from there.