HDD failure ???

mysunshines

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2003
Okay , i have been trying to do a fresh install of operating systems , but it wont fully boot up afterward....i tried doing Win2000, but when i install and boot up , it boots all the way up till the last progress bar then freezes , i tried formatting the drive 3 times and reinstalling W2K from CD but it does the same thing (however it will boot up in safe mode), so then i formatted again and installed Win 98 , again , it wont boot up , it gets as far as "verifying DMI data" , then goes into a choice menu of "boot from HDD" - or "boot from CD" , it will not boot from the HDD and gives me an error signal "Boot disk failure"

The drive was working perfectly until i decided to do a fresh install , could it possibly be due to using partition Magic to do the first format ????

is it a faulty HDD or something in BIOS , any suggestions please ??

Ryan_Plus_One

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2003
If your computer will boot fine in safe mode and not in regular mode then I would blame hardware. WHat do you have in your PCI slots? You may want to try stripping all unesessary periphials from your machine, because it sounds like it is crashing while windows is trying to initialize a device.

If I were you, I would reformat the whole thing, reset the bios to defaults and try to install it with as little hardware as possible.

<font color=red>Proudly supporting the AMD/Nvidia minority</font color=red>