Help and Support Centre in XP does not update "Did you kno..

I am using Windows XP Professional SP2 computer at my office which is
connected on LAN to high speed internet Broadband service. After username &
password, I am connected and able to surf and download data from web without
any problems.
While using Help and Support Centre from the Start Menu, there is a section
on the page which says "Did you know? When you are connected to the Internet,
this area will display links to timely help and support information..." Why
this section of the Help and Support Centre is not aware of my
net-connectivity and shows updated information here.
On the same page under Pick a task, the link "Keep your computer up-to-date
with Windows Update" connects to Windows Update site and even "Send you
feedback link to Microsoft" checks for net connectivity. How is it possible
for keeping "Did you know" section updated in Help and Support Centre?

--
Bye!
RKB

RK,

I've observed this always happens with broadband connection. When I
connected to internet using dial-up, Help and Support could connect to the
internet and download the news block XML files (2 XML files will be
downloaded, and then merged based one some criteria) and the "Did you know?"
updated correctly. "Did you know?" actually reflects what;s in the XML file.

When using broadband (ADSL), I changed the value "EnableAutodial" to 1 in
this key:

[HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings]

This works sometimes, but not consistently.

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"RK" <RK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am using Windows XP Professional SP2 computer at my office which is
> connected on LAN to high speed internet Broadband service. After username
> &
> password, I am connected and able to surf and download data from web
> without
> any problems.
> While using Help and Support Centre from the Start Menu, there is a
> section
> on the page which says "Did you know? When you are connected to the
> Internet,
> this area will display links to timely help and support information..."
> Why
> this section of the Help and Support Centre is not aware of my
> net-connectivity and shows updated information here.
> On the same page under Pick a task, the link "Keep your computer
> up-to-date
> with Windows Update" connects to Windows Update site and even "Send you
> feedback link to Microsoft" checks for net connectivity. How is it
> possible
> for keeping "Did you know" section updated in Help and Support Centre?
>
> --
> Bye!
> RKB

frodo

you are not alone, this has been an issue since january. don't worry,
I'll bet you already know everything it has to point out anyway!

Thanks!
Bye the way, is this issue documented by Microsoft on any of its web page so
that I may get more information about it.

"frodo@theshire.org" wrote:

> you are not alone, this has been an issue since january. don't worry,
> I'll bet you already know everything it has to point out anyway!

The chandging the registry key value did not solve the problem.
But thanks for writing and giving the information about the issue.