Defrag does not complete

When I run my defrag it will and start to defrag as soon as it reaches a
certain point (around 15%) the defrag session will end abruptly saying
defrag is completed. The disk drive has 59% free space.

Any help appreciated

It may not have had to go further. All the fragments detected may have
been in that 15% it processed.

Did you read the report defag produces? What did it say?
Did you run Analyze first? If you didn't, run it now and see if in
fact you need to defrag.

On Thu, 7 Apr 2005 17:35:25 -0400, "kman214"

>When I run my defrag it will and start to defrag as soon as it reaches a
>certain point (around 15%) the defrag session will end abruptly saying
>defrag is completed. The disk drive has 59% free space.
>
>Any help appreciated

I have two disks I analyze them both before defraging. They both need it.
They both have fiels that :could not be defragmented" when the defrag
finshes and results do not fre up much disk space. When defrag is complete
and analyze is done again there is still Fragmented (red bars) in the
display
"Jentle Jiant" <Jentle@Jiant.com> wrote in message
> It may not have had to go further. All the fragments detected may have
> been in that 15% it processed.
>
> Did you read the report defag produces? What did it say?
> Did you run Analyze first? If you didn't, run it now and see if in
> fact you need to defrag.
>

> On Thu, 7 Apr 2005 17:35:25 -0400, "kman214"
>
>>When I run my defrag it will and start to defrag as soon as it reaches a
>>certain point (around 15%) the defrag session will end abruptly saying
>>defrag is completed. The disk drive has 59% free space.
>>
>>Any help appreciated

OK. I recently had a similar problem. Since no one here was able to
offer advice I found a way around it, which I posted here. just in
case you no longer have that thread on your server, I will paste my
problem detail, and the solution I came up with. Perhaps it will work
for you;

Good luck. Let me know if this helps.

First, my original post, followed by my work-around. It worked
completely.

>Defrag will not defragment a large number of files.
>
>I've been having some slow performance for a few days, so decided to
>defrag. After analysis, the drive is 23% defragmented. It's never been
>that high. I ran defrag. It reported that a number of files could not
>be defragmented. Fragmentation stayed high (19%)
>
>I saved the report so I could look at the files..
>
>With one exception, all the files listed are MPG files, which I
>created, ripped from DVDs and converted to MPG. They represent 29 gig
>on an 80 gig drive!
>
>They are listed as having several hundred to several thousand
>fragments.
>
>The one exception is a .db file in Documents and Settings, for ACDC.
>That db file is LARGER than the images it supposedly represents, and
>has more parts than there are images, again several thousand parts.
>
>I thought perhaps changing the properties by turning off "read only"
>would take care ot it. Ran defrag again. Did not work. Still at 19%.
>All of the same files are listed.
>
>Any help or suggestions greatly appreciated.
>
>Thanks

Now my solution

If anyone is interested, or has/had a similar problem...

I figured out a workaround to fix this. It may be micky-mouse, but it
worked.

Assuming that if I copied a fragmented file to another physical
medium, Windows would have to assemble and sort the thousands of
fragments, I copied each file individually to an external drive, I
then deleted the originals, re-copied one at a time to the original
folder, and ran defrag. Result= 2% fragmentation.

Don't know what could have cause such severe fragmentation, and if
anybody out there has any idea, I would appreciate your feedback.

On Fri, 8 Apr 2005 17:39:33 -0400, "kman214"