Windows was unable to Start Successfully

Help! My computer was in hibernate and then froze coming out of hibernate.
When I restart it, I keep getting "We Apologize but Windows was unable to
Start Successfully." and cannot even start in Safe Mode or in Last Successful
Config mode. I have tried doing a System Restore with F8 but I never get a
screen to enter in "windows\system32\restore" it just loops me back around to
the "We Apologize" screen. I've tried everything suggested here:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?lc=en&cc=us&docname=nph00236#N10020
short of a System Recovery which I am afraid to do b/c I will lose my files.
Any Suggestions? Thanks!
2 answers Last reply
More about windows unable start successfully

    Hey Cindy. I might not be able to help you but i was stuck in a loop myself
    not that long ago and i couldnt even get into the computer meaning i couldnt
    do a system restore and i couldnt start from last successful config or
    anything. I had to do a system recovery.
    If it is necessary that you need to do a system recovery i thought you
    should know that you dont lose your files. I didnt lose one file what so
    ever. What you do lose is your updates and your installed programs that you
    have installed since purchasing your computer but your files stay!!! And if
    you have cds for your installed programs or know where you can download them
    from it might be best for you to do that :)
    someone else might be able to help you get out of your loop tho
    best of luck
    i just thought you should be aware that you wont lose your files

    "Cindy" wrote:

    > Help! My computer was in hibernate and then froze coming out of hibernate.
    > When I restart it, I keep getting "We Apologize but Windows was unable to
    > Start Successfully." and cannot even start in Safe Mode or in Last Successful
    > Config mode. I have tried doing a System Restore with F8 but I never get a
    > screen to enter in "windows\system32\restore" it just loops me back around to
    > the "We Apologize" screen. I've tried everything suggested here:
    > http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?lc=en&cc=us&docname=nph00236#N10020
    > short of a System Recovery which I am afraid to do b/c I will lose my files.
    > Any Suggestions? Thanks!

    Thanks Aussie Girl,

    I still haven't had the courange to try it yet. Most everything that I've
    read online says you lose your files in My Documents and they are the ones I
    need to keep. (Also my email address book which has all my business
    contacts.) I am having someone come look at it by Monday, I figure it's good
    insurance against the possibility of losing the files. But thanks for the
    reply, I'm glad to know that I probably won't lose any files!

Windows XP