Help! I used spybot and i still cant get rid of pop-ups.

johnf Wrote:
> That's what I said, I thought!
>
> --
>
> johnf
> -
> Yow, don't try to remove IE, it is needed by the system!!! Instead
> try
> to find any software in Add/Remove programs that you think your
> friends
> may have added.
> Try using Ad-Aware SE, a free download, as well...I find something
> every
> time I load it.
>
> "johnf" wrote:
> -
> What are they related to? Some game?
> Quite a few have intermittent pop-ups advertising other games in
> their
> range, which is incorporated in the software. You cant do much about
> it
> except close the pop-up.
> RocketMania is a good example - expect a pop-up at least once a
> week.
> Why on earth you tried to uninstall IE has me beat, as you've
> probably
> done iirreparable damage by now.
>

> --
>
> johnf
> -
> recently, my computer has been swarmed with pop-ups, now i'm sure
> they've come from something my roomates installed but i cant get rid
> of them. i used spybot to fix problems, still pop-ups. i tried to
> delete internet explorer but i get a message about how it is
> currently being used. im at the brink of formatting, can anyone give
> me any tips on fixing this problem?
>

> --
> Kivva---

46 popups in 5 mins is enough to make one want to delete internet
explorer. -.- as i said i have no idea where they are all coming from
as my roomates use this computer as well. ive run spybot and adaware,
and i still get them, sometimes 15 in a row in less than a minute which
leads to a server is busy message with the switch to or retry options.
it is makin it near impossible for me to use this computer at all.
should i just format? or is there anyway to find programs may be
causing them?

--
Kivva

"Kivva" <Kivva.1n56dm@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

> johnf Wrote:
> > That's what I said, I thought!
> >
> > --
> >
> > johnf
> > -
> > Yow, don't try to remove IE, it is needed by the system!!! Instead
> > try
> > to find any software in Add/Remove programs that you think your
> > friends
> > may have added.
> > Try using Ad-Aware SE, a free download, as well...I find something
> > every
> > time I load it.
> >
> > "johnf" wrote:
> > -
> > What are they related to? Some game?
> > Quite a few have intermittent pop-ups advertising other games in
> > their
> > range, which is incorporated in the software. You cant do much about
> > it
> > except close the pop-up.
> > RocketMania is a good example - expect a pop-up at least once a
> > week.
> > Why on earth you tried to uninstall IE has me beat, as you've
> > probably
> > done iirreparable damage by now.
> >

> > --
> >
> > johnf
> > -
> > recently, my computer has been swarmed with pop-ups, now i'm sure
> > they've come from something my roomates installed but i cant get rid
> > of them. i used spybot to fix problems, still pop-ups. i tried to
> > delete internet explorer but i get a message about how it is
> > currently being used. im at the brink of formatting, can anyone give
> > me any tips on fixing this problem?
> >

> > --
> > Kivva---
>
> 46 popups in 5 mins is enough to make one want to delete internet
> explorer. -.- as i said i have no idea where they are all coming from
> as my roomates use this computer as well. ive run spybot and adaware,
> and i still get them, sometimes 15 in a row in less than a minute which
> leads to a server is busy message with the switch to or retry options.
> it is makin it near impossible for me to use this computer at all.
> should i just format? or is there anyway to find programs may be
> causing them?
>

> --
> Kivva

If there is a program on your PC that is calling these pop ups then do a
Ctrl + Alt + Del to bring up Task Manager. Terminate unknown programs one
at a time checking to see if pop ups have stopped after terminating the
unknown program. If you can identify the program that is calling the pop
ups this way then have a look in the Windows Add/Delete programs utility to
see if it listed there and if so uninstall it. It may very well not be
listed so first go to the Start Up tab of msconfig to see if it is listed
there and if so uncheck it. Then go to your Start Up folder to see if it is
there and if it is delete it (it will be just a short cut). Do a search on
your PC for the identified program and delete it. Download a registry
checker such as Registry First Aid, run it and delete any keys and
references found to the program. Don't forget to create a restore point
before doing the above in case you mess up.

Rob

johnf

A good start might be to list these pop-ups - we're not mind-readers, so a
couple of hints would be helpful.

--

johnf

"johnf" <john_f@bigpond.net.a> wrote in message
> A good start might be to list these pop-ups - we're not mind-readers, so a
> couple of hints would be helpful.

Quite, the very first question I asked. It,s almost like saying "Help,
something's wrong with my PC, what can I do?"

johnf

That's what I meant. If there was a bit of data supplied as to the contents
(or keywords) of the pop-ups, it makes it easier to backtrack.

--

johnf