C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution

in it are the folders
DataStore (3.5MB)
Download (670MB)
EventCache (less than 100K)
SelfUpdate (less than 100K)
WebSetup (less than 100K)
WuRedir (less than 100K)
and a file with the name: ReportingEvents.log

What is it for. On my machine it occupies about 700MB

Ron;
The download file is where updates are kept until installed.
Sometimes Windows XP fails to delete it.
That file may be safely deleted along with others related to Windows Update:
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/spack.htm

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar