Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Canary WiFi hotspot Finders. Any Good?

Last response: in Cell Phones & Smartphones
Share
August 14, 2005 2:31:25 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

I have a palm device that can't scan for active networks so was
looking at the Canary Wireless WiFi Hotspotter which though over
priced (in the UK at least) seems to be the only one that also returns
the SSID..

Anyone used one of these? Are they worth the money?

Pete
Anonymous
August 14, 2005 6:26:45 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

I seems to work ok and does identify what it claims on their website. I am
happy with it. However, I also the Hawkings for more directional searches
for pinpointed sources.
Otherwise the Canary Wireless WiFi Hotspotter is my main tool.

"Pete" <nosespam@my.nut> wrote in message
news:j5tsf1p6585c7vp77h9ig3vu4hnsm0o7qe@4ax.com...
>
>
> I have a palm device that can't scan for active networks so was
> looking at the Canary Wireless WiFi Hotspotter which though over
> priced (in the UK at least) seems to be the only one that also returns
> the SSID..
>
> Anyone used one of these? Are they worth the money?
>
> Pete
Related resources
August 15, 2005 12:00:16 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 02:26:45 GMT, "Zap Eagle" <nospam@nospam.com>
wrote:

>I seems to work ok and does identify what it claims on their website. I am
>happy with it. However, I also the Hawkings for more directional searches
>for pinpointed sources.
>Otherwise the Canary Wireless WiFi Hotspotter is my main tool.

Cheers Zap.

[Grumble]

I may go for this even though the UK price for the Canary is almost
double the USA's :( (

[/Grumble]

What is Hawkings?

I also found the "ALLNET ALLSPOT" which is a combined USB NIC combined
with a battery powered hotspotter...

Not sure if it grabs the SSID as most of the literature is in German..
Seems the company tends mostly to sell to Germany. stupid price as
well :( 

Nice idea though.

Search goes on.

Pete
Anonymous
August 15, 2005 2:37:09 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

Pete wrote:
> On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 20:00:16 GMT, Pete <nosespam@my.nut> wrote:
>
>
>
>>What is Hawkings?
>
>
> From Googling: Is it a Directional Antenna like:?
>
> http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?&ref=c...
>
>
> Pete
>
No, Hawking is a very bright boy.
August 15, 2005 10:01:53 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 22:37:09 -0400, Miles Prower
<asianjohnnynitro@removethis.veryspeedy.net> wrote:


>>>What is Hawkings?
>> From Googling: Is it a Directional Antenna like:?

>No, Hawking is a very bright boy.

LOL. That he is :) 

Pete
Anonymous
August 15, 2005 11:58:13 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

Here is the website for Hawking http://www.hawkingtech.com/


"Pete" <nosespam@my.nut> wrote in message
news:D cl1g1pls4cbq9t2r8ji9t49853g0u30b3@4ax.com...
> On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 22:37:09 -0400, Miles Prower
> <asianjohnnynitro@removethis.veryspeedy.net> wrote:
>
>
>>>>What is Hawkings?
>>> From Googling: Is it a Directional Antenna like:?
>
>>No, Hawking is a very bright boy.
>
> LOL. That he is :) 
>
> Pete
August 16, 2005 3:04:37 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 19:58:13 GMT, "Zap Eagle" <nospam@nospam.com>
wrote:

>Here is the website for Hawking http://www.hawkingtech.com/


Excellent Zap. Thankyou.

Pete

>
>"Pete" <nosespam@my.nut> wrote in message
>news:D cl1g1pls4cbq9t2r8ji9t49853g0u30b3@4ax.com...
>> On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 22:37:09 -0400, Miles Prower
>> <asianjohnnynitro@removethis.veryspeedy.net> wrote:
>>
>>
>>>>>What is Hawkings?
>>>> From Googling: Is it a Directional Antenna like:?
>>
>>>No, Hawking is a very bright boy.
>>
>> LOL. That he is :) 
>>
>> Pete
>
Anonymous
August 16, 2005 2:58:42 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

http://www.techtastic.ca/reviews5/hotspotter.html
9/10 on their review for this $59 product.

(If you've already bought the Sony Playstation Portable (PSP), you can
easily scan the entire network around you in seconds and have a nice
listing of nodes around you on-screen to connect to with the built-in
web browser for testing.)

or simply, www.wifimaps.com -> enter your zip code, click any [map] link
and see all the hotspots in your area.
August 17, 2005 5:59:09 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 22:31:25 GMT, Pete <nosespam@my.nut> wrote:

>..... was
>looking at the Canary Wireless WiFi Hotspotter


Cheers for responses guys.

Eventually I bought an ALLNET ALLSPOT Hotspot Finder 54MBit
WLAN-Adapter.

This is a combined wifi USB dongle with hotspotter (has internal USB
rechargeable battery for independent hotspotting) that gives the
field strength and the SSID if available.

Not many reviews on this product yet as it's only available in Germany
and through a single reseller in the US.

I'm having to import mine and much of the literature is in German..
(I'm in the UK.)

I kind of took a chance on this item but given it's smaller size and
dual functionality it might prove valuable.

It cost about $8 more than the Canary. The Canary in the UK is almost
double the price of the same item in the US :( 

I'll let you know how it performs... though as it's imported it will
take up to 3 weeks to arrive :( 

Pete
!