Laptop Startup problem...

Status
Not open for further replies.

throw lemons

Honorable
May 20, 2012
Hello,
I have a problem on one of my laptops which is an Advent Roma.
When I power on, it proceeds past the welcome screen and when it should fade to the desktop, it just fades to black with a movable cursor.

I have loaded up safe mode, and when I attempt to click on the start menu, it does nothing, and looks 'pressed' down. I have also attempted to open the control panel as this is available on the windows help menu that comes up when using safe mode explaining what you can do in safe mode.
After this, I went onto the task manager, and noticed that explorer.exe is on, but using 99% of my CPU power. This means that 100% is being used. When I ended the explorer.exe the CPU then shot down, but when trying to start it up again with admin privileges, nothing happens.

I think it is due to a virus as when I began downloading a torrent my Webroot security essentials noticed Malware and stopped it. After this, my laptop ran really slowly so I rebooted and now I get a black screen when turned on with a movable cursor after the welcome screen.

It is really bugging me as I would like to be able to use this laptop to do revision, and even worse as I think that it is my fault...

Specs: 3GB Ram, 320GB HDD, Intel Celeron, Windows 7 SP1.

Thanks for any help you may provide!

This does sound very virus-esque. Unfortunately you have few options. You can:

1. Remove the virus via another PC by removing your hard disk and scanning with with the other PC

2. Back up your data (if any) to another PC, scan it, reinstall windows on your notebook, and put the data back

3. Attempt to remove the virus manually, but it doesn't sound like you have the skills to do so, and it's very difficult to master in one go.

most anti virus software now have dos or bootable scan disk you can make from another pc on a cd or a usb stick. sometime you can boot into safe mode and run malware bytes and combo fix it may be able to kill the virus. the problems with most bad ones is that the can be reloaded if there sitting in ram and have a hidden folder. if it one of those bad ones you have to find the name of the virus..edit the registry and delete the hidden folder or do a nuke and pave.

Greg Davis

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2011
Hi Throw Lemons,

This is Greg from the Webroot Support Team.

I can help you out here and hopefully save you some time in trying to get your PC booted and cleaned and also get your protection up-to-date. In your post you mention that you are using Webroot Security Essentials and that it caught the infection and stopped it, but it appears that there may still be remnants of the infection or possibly another infection that is causing the high CPU usage and the other issues. Webroot Security Essentials is a legacy Webroot product and the good news is that we have since created a new, unique, more powerful antivirus/security suite called SecureAnywhere.

As a current Webroot customer you are entitled to free technical support and I would encourage you to contact them as soon as you can at 1-866-612-4227 from 7 AM to 6 PM Mountain Time M - F . They will be able to guide you through using a special utility that can boot your system properly, remove any infections and then upgrade you to SecureAnywhere Essentials.

Unlike traditional antivirus/security solutions, including legacy Webroot applications, SecureAnywhere does not use the traditional method of having to download definition files to stay protected. Instead, SecureAnywhere uses a combination of our cloud database and local behavioral analyses to keep all of our customers protected against the latest threats, all in real-time. The installation takes less than 1 minute and uses only about 15 MB of disk space, it consumes very few system resources and will not slow down your computer and it scans most computers in 3 minutes or less.

I hope this helps you out and gives you out.

Thanks,
Greg Davis
Webroot Support Team

Greg Davis

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2011

Greg Davis

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2011
Hi Throw Lemons,

This is Greg from the Webroot Support Team.

I can help you out here and hopefully save you some time in trying to get your PC booted and cleaned and also get your protection up-to-date. In your post you mention that you are using Webroot Security Essentials and that it caught the infection and stopped it, but it appears that there may still be remnants of the infection or possibly another infection that is causing the high CPU usage and the other issues. Webroot Security Essentials is a legacy Webroot product and the good news is that we have since created a new, unique, more powerful antivirus/security suite called SecureAnywhere.

As a current Webroot customer you are entitled to free technical support and I would encourage you to contact them as soon as you can at 1-866-612-4227 from 7 AM to 6 PM Mountain Time M - F . They will be able to guide you through using a special utility that can boot your system properly, remove any infections and then upgrade you to SecureAnywhere Essentials.

Unlike traditional antivirus/security solutions, including legacy Webroot applications, SecureAnywhere does not use the traditional method of having to download definition files to stay protected. Instead, SecureAnywhere uses a combination of our cloud database and local behavioral analyses to keep all of our customers protected against the latest threats, all in real-time. The installation takes less than 1 minute and uses only about 15 MB of disk space, it consumes very few system resources and will not slow down your computer and it scans most computers in 3 minutes or less.

I hope this helps you out and our team is looking forward to helping you !

Thanks,
Greg Davis
Webroot Support Team

Status
Not open for further replies.