spitoon

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2003
Memory and XP
I originally posted in the Memory forum, but someone suggested that I try here, as I don't really see this as a hardware problem, anyways please read on....

I am currently running 320MB of memory, consisting of a stick of 256MB and a stick of 64MB. I purchased a second 256MB stick, removed the 64MB (there are only 2 slots), and inserted the new stick. BIOS reports the full 512MB, but when I try to start WinXP Pro, the computer restarts.

I have a dual boot set up and I can start Win98 fine, and the 512MB seems to be functioning normally within Win98. I put the 320MB back in and booted to XP, then I tried adjusting \MAXMEM= in msconfig, but it wont allow me to move it over 320MB when I have 320MB in the machine.

So, I figure this must be some kind of XP issue, as all is fine when I boot into Win98.

Any advice to offer???

tomcat

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2003
It works with your original 256+64 but once you introduce the new stick XP doesn't like it? Sounds like a hardware problem to me. Try the new 256 and the 64 module to narrow it down. XP wants more memory than 98, if you have 256 in the first slot, Win98 probably isn't using the memory in the second slot at all.

spitoon

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2003
I can get 320MB with either stick of 256MB in either slot with the 64MB in the other slot.

Pardon my ignorance here, but if it is a hardware issue, then why does everthing seem to function normally in Win 98 with 512MB installed, yet I can't even boot into Win XP when I have 512MB installed? I don't know how much of the 512MB Win 98 is using, but it reports it all as does the BIOS. I have also used a couple of programs to check it out (Sandra, Belarc Advisor), and they both show it fully functioning under Win 98.

Rubberbband

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2001
Try using a program like memtest to test your hardware. The problem may lie in your mobo (update the BIOS). This is what could be happening. Both memory sticks (256mb) are good separately but when you put them in together there's a problem when the first stick is all used and the cpu tries to access the second stick. You might not notice this with Win98 as it probably never gets past the first stick. Win XP on the other hand will utilize more Ram if it's available and then the crossover error occurs.

The aim of military training is not just to prepare men for battle, but to make them long for it. <A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?act=ST&f=41&t=327&s" target="_new"><b>MY SYSTEM</b></A>