Ordering online: "Yay or Nay"

pindergust

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2004
I seem to be able to find the absolute cheapest prices online...but I don't know if it's a good idea to order online. I am looking at a Radeon 9600 XT for only 150 dollars after shipping from a couple of different websites. GameVe.com; newegg.com...etc. And I looked at the feedback section and out of 250 responses...all were possitive but two. So Do you guys think it's a safe and good idea to order online to save money??

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I've purchased all my personal hardware online for years.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

sirak

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2003
Newegg is extremely reliable. Definitely use them if possible.

----------------------
PIV 2.4c @ 2.89ghz
1gig PC3200 (512mbx2)
ASUS P4P800
GF3 Ti200 64mb (soon to be replaced)
WinXP Pro
3DMark2001SE: 6300
3DMark2003: 688

f4shionablecha0s

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2002
I've ordered from both Newegg and GameVe and I've been extremely pleased with the experience.

Generally all PriceWatch listed resellers are reliable. The only one I've had problems with is Computer Brain.

Black_Cat

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2002
NewEgg is good but here in NJ they charge sales tax. :frown:

<A HREF="http://www.accupc.com/" target="_new">accupc</A> and <A HREF="http://www.dealsonic.com/" target="_new">Dealsonic </A>are excellent.

Okay, brain. You don't like me, and I don't like you, but let's get through this thing and then I can continue killing you with beer. -- Homer Simpson.

dhlucke

Polypheme
Don't buy online! You'll go to hell. They'll steal your babies!!!

Seriously, it's 2004. It's safe to go online now. It's even safe to buy stuff online.

I've spent thousands at newegg.com and recommend them.

silverpig

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I wouldn't have any problem with it but I hate waiting. It's so much easier and more convenient to just walk into a store and get it. Sure, I might save $8 by getting it online, but I'd rather pay $8 more to get it immediately in my hands.

Some day I'll be rich and famous for inventing a device that allows you to stab people in the face over the internet.

KWPLunchbox

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2003
Ordering online should be dependent on your competence with working on systems. If you know what you're doing then you should have no problems. But, if you're unsure and still in the learning stages, buying retail is nice since you have quick access to exchanging the card you accidentally fried<g>. Like the guys say, Newegg is awesome. I've also had excellent dealings with Monarch Computers. Monarch is great if you're ordering motherboard combos because they'll set the jumpers and test everything before they ship it at no additional charge. This saves a little time and reduces "dead out of the box" syndrome.

<font color=purple>AMD XP 2500+ @ 3200+/200, A7N8X Dlx, 512mb PC3200 Corsair XMS DDR, ATi 9800Pro, Audigy Platinum, 2/5 TB of storage, TDK 48x CDRW, Lite-On 16x DVD, XP Pro SP1, and more neon than a ghetto sled

Black_Cat

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2002
That's because they opened warehouse there.
I know. Bastages.

Okay, brain. You don't like me, and I don't like you, but let's get through this thing and then I can continue killing you with beer. -- Homer Simpson.

pauldh

Illustrious
Yeah that blows. Zipzoomfly, ewiz, gameve are better choices for NJ now.

ABIT IS7, P4 2.6C, 512MB Corsair TwinX PC3200LL, Radeon 9500 Pro, Santa Cruz, Antec 1000AMG, TruePower 430watt

Woodman

Distinguished
May 8, 2002
<b>WARNING</b>: While it is generally true about Pricewatch, there is one particular reseller folks should steer clear of. The name is Alpha International Business (aka AIB, aka BuyAIB). Do not under any circumstances, buy stuff from these people.

-----
Do not spit.

shadus

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2003
I've used at least a few dozen different vendors online since about 1998ish. It's the way to go, but do verify the price at local computer shops-- sometimes for items like cases and harddrives you can find them cheaper locally because of shipping costs and rebates.

<A HREF="http://www.lochel.com/THGC/html/shadus.html" target="_new">Shadus</A>

georgebeee

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2003
I've had good luck with online purchases at gogocity.com. got a 9600xt for $1 less than newegg.com. it's not much, but it all adds up. however, they shipped it to me via mail instead of fedex.

bandikoot

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2003
Spend it all online. Never go to another department store. Get to know your FedEx/UPS guy better. Yes, you can even order food. Which brings me to my complaint with newegg. They don't ship food with the computers. Given the online competition, you'd think a free apple or something with every computer would increase sales.