Do I have to put future 7 upgrade on same computer?

G

I'm in the market for an inexpensive laptop that will come with a Windows 7 upgrade(ASUS). When that ships in Oct/Nov, can I use it on my home system (HP Vista)instead? Or will there be something in the disk that makes it usuable only on the computer that was bought with the upgrade?

Interesting question. My guess is that, since the Vista will be an OEM version tied to the computer you bought it with, the license terms if nothing else would require you to install the upgrade on the same computer. But who knows whether that would be technically enforced or not...

Jonmor68

Distinguished
I believe you need to claim the free upgrade from Microsoft by supplying proof of purchase, which is probably some form of receipt from the supplier.
If that is the case and you get a genuine $MS disk, it shouldn't matter what brand you upgrade.

G

Yes, according to mfr website you have to register your product, provide proof of purchase, then they send a disk when the time comes. I would think that the disk is official, and the computer you install it on wouldn't matter, but I just don't know......