Dell Dimension 4600 Motherboard/Case - Proprietary, or new..

I have a Dell Dimension 4600 which came with 2 5.25" bays, and I want
to move it to a case with 4 bays. Problem is, I see on the motherboard
that the control panel connectors (speaker, power switch, etc) are all
1 plug. Is this some proprietary Dell stuff, or is this a new standard?
Also, the fan is latched inside the back of the case, is that one
standard? Will I be able to get a case to replace this one, or would I
have to buy a new mobo/case/fan? If there are any cases I can get, can
someone point me in the right direction?
Any help would be much appreciated.
-joltman
5 answers Last reply
More about dell dimension 4600 motherboard case proprietary

    The single-block connector and rear I/O shield are both Dell-specific.

    "joltman" <joltman@geocities.com> wrote in message
    >I have a Dell Dimension 4600 which came with 2 5.25" bays, and I want
    > to move it to a case with 4 bays. Problem is, I see on the motherboard
    > that the control panel connectors (speaker, power switch, etc) are all
    > 1 plug. Is this some proprietary Dell stuff, or is this a new standard?
    > Also, the fan is latched inside the back of the case, is that one
    > standard? Will I be able to get a case to replace this one, or would I
    > have to buy a new mobo/case/fan? If there are any cases I can get, can
    > someone point me in the right direction?
    > Any help would be much appreciated.
    > -joltman

    You'd be best advised to buy a quality third-party case and an Intel (865
    chipset) based motherboard and move your processor, RAM, and drives over.

    Thing is, that will make your Dell Windows XP CD potentially useless....

    Proprietary connections: power switch to mb (blue), front USB to mb (may
    or may not be proprietary) black plug, front audio connector (black cable
    with white plug), CPU fan connector to mb as well as fan housing mount to
    chassis, heatsink pedestal mount, and there's probably more I'm forgetting.

    Stew

    Thanx for the responses. So, that means I won't be able to use the
    spare case I got from work :P
    I'm thinking about just cutting a slit on the top of the case and
    having a DVD-ROM on top, with the IDE and power connections going
    through that slit. That wouldn't be a problem would it? DVD-ROM's don't
    need that much in the way of cooling, do they?

    > Thanx for the responses. So, that means I won't be able to use the
    > spare case I got from work :P
    > I'm thinking about just cutting a slit on the top of the case and
    > having a DVD-ROM on top, with the IDE and power connections going
    > through that slit. That wouldn't be a problem would it? DVD-ROM's don't
    > need that much in the way of cooling, do they?

    I wouldn't do that. You'd kill any chance of resale.

    Have you checked for USB or 1394 external options?

    Stew

    S.Lewis wrote:
    > "joltman" <joltman@geocities.com> wrote in message
    > > Thanx for the responses. So, that means I won't be able to use the
    > > spare case I got from work :P
    > > I'm thinking about just cutting a slit on the top of the case and
    > > having a DVD-ROM on top, with the IDE and power connections going
    > > through that slit. That wouldn't be a problem would it? DVD-ROM's
    don't
    > > need that much in the way of cooling, do they?
    > >

    > I wouldn't do that. You'd kill any chance of resale.
    >
    > Have you checked for USB or 1394 external options?
    >
    > Stew

    If resale is the only concern, then I could care less about that. I've
    always kept my computers until they died.
    Anyway, as for your suggestion, I already have everything I need, and
    don't plan on spending more money. Basically I have a DVD-ROM,
    DVD+/-RW, and 2 removable hard drive trays, so I was thinking about
    putting 1 or 2 of the removable hard drive trays in the machine, and
    then having one or both of the DVD's on top.
    -joltman

Dell Cases Dimension Computers