Status
Not open for further replies.

terrymer

Honorable
May 20, 2012
Hello,I took my laptop to be diagnose because when it gets hot it shuts off by itself. They told me it looks like it is the hardware and it would cost me $169.00. What is the hardware?

the laptop itself is hardware. did the repair depot give you a written est on the parts and time that are needed for the repair??
most laptop have one main board are they charing you a fee to replace that?? with an over heat issues if i was looking at the unit i would be checking to see if any of the fans if it had them on the cpu and case were they spinning. other than that the only thing you can do is see that the heat sink is on the cpu and that there a good amount of thermal past on it. unless the laptop vendor made some kind of change to the laptop..a change notice to repalce heat sink a with a bigger one b.

theres either dust clogging up the system, a heat sink failure or the thermal paste died out in the laptop, and needs to be reopened, cleaned out, and repasted with some thermal paste while cleaning the heatsink as well.

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
You can probably save some money by buying a docking station with fans built in to help cool the laptop. If you frequently use it away from a desk, however, that's no good.

Before you give them your laptop or any money, tell them to tell you exactly what's wrong with it, what they're going to do, etc. Then come back and post that here. We can tell you if you're getting ripped off or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.