Frustrating Problem With Explorer Opening Files

Hi,

I'm looking for help with a frustrating problem that has happened on my PC.
Essentially the symptoms are this:
1.Opening files through Windows Explorer results in a 20 to 30 second pause
before the files open. This happens on local and network drives.
2.Executable files or applications open immediately. Also files open
immediately from inside the application e.g. from Excel open dialog box.
3. In explorer, right-clicking on files results in a 20-30 second delay in
bringing up the menu, while with executables the menu comes up immediately.
The system is XP SP2. What I have tried so far is:
Reapplied the Service Pack
System restore to before the problem manifested itself
Disconnected and reconnected mapped drives.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received before I go ahead and reinstall.

Thanks

Hi Mike,

For Problem #3, see if these tips help:

Right-click is slow or weird behavior caused by context menu handlers:

Right-click is extremely slow only when Network is enabled:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/rcdelay.htm

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User