Windows 7 64-Bit for system builders OEM

juicycrapachino

Distinguished
May 8, 2010
Hello, I am thinking about buying the Windows 7 64-Bit for system builders OEM package for my new computer. But I have one question... If for whatever reason my system becomes fried and stops working and everything becomes unaccessable and i have this installed, will i be able to install the OS again to a new computer that I buy? If not will i have to buy another copy of it for $100?

Thanks in advance!

Solution
Hi JuicyCrapachino,

Unfortunately no, OEM copies of Windows 7 can only be installed on one machine. You can do a repair install if anything goes wrong, but the essential hardware must be the same.

Cheers,

Walker
Windows Outreach Team

WalkerA WinTeam

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2010
Hi JuicyCrapachino,

Unfortunately no, OEM copies of Windows 7 can only be installed on one machine. You can do a repair install if anything goes wrong, but the essential hardware must be the same.

Cheers,

Walker
Windows Outreach Team

Solution

WalkerAWinteam is not entirely accurate. OEM copy's are tied to the motherboard. You can change out all the hardware you want except for that.

Also, microsoft often makes exceptions for OEM transfers when hardware failure is involved.

dkapke

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
I would say neither of you are "not entirely accurate". Legally, no, you can't install this on another computer (motherboard). That said, I have yet in over 200 times of trying, to not be able to reuse an OEM COA (the license key). Sure, it won't just activate over the internet, but a simple call to the activation line and 4 1/2 minutes of pushing numbers will ALWAYS activate it. Just be sure to answer that it's only installed on 1 PC and that a hardware failure was involved, and bingo. While I'm sure MS frowns upon that and it's not entirely "legal" (at least per the ULA), I've yet to have them to tell me I couldn't do it. heck, I've yet to EVER talk to anything other than the recorded message. So, worse comes to worse, yes you can reuse the OEM.

loneninja

Distinguished

LOL so true

A_Real_Overclocker

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2008

I have had the same experience just do the phone activation. I actually talked to a live person upon a third transfer of my oem vista ultimate, due to hardware testing and replacements. I now have a retail copy of Win 7 ultimate, and understand that it easily activates on any hardware changes. I got a P35 m/b running at 533 fsb testing. Another causality in the making :ouch: !