Sign in with
Your question

Asus R 9600xt problems in games

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 31, 2004 9:56:35 PM

I just purchased Asus Radeon 9600xt to replace my old gforce4 mx4.

The problem I'm having is that entire system freezes up after 1-5 minutes after playing games such as Gunmetal (which came with the card), DeuxEx2 and Planetside. I'm forced to reboot the system.
Surprisingly Call of Duty is the only one that doesn't freeze up.

I uninstalled the drivers that came with card and installed the latest catalyst driver off the ati website but it didn't help. Then I tried older catalyst and asus drivers but still the system freezes up. I ran a virus scan to be sure but the system is clean.

I'm beginning to think that the card may be defective but that doesn't explain why Call of Duty runs fine.

Some system specs:
VIA chipset mobo
Intel Celeron Celeron 1700
512mb ddr ram
Windows XP
Montego Bay A3DXtream sound

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
January 31, 2004 11:29:53 PM

Did you get rid of all nVidia drivers?
January 31, 2004 11:30:38 PM

Yes, I uninstalled all nvidia drivers.
I also removed all nvidia entries from registry manually.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Cichy on 01/31/04 08:34 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
Related resources
February 1, 2004 11:59:01 AM

Have you tried to install the 4-1 VIA pack which logicaly must be in your asus drivers cd?Maybe this will help you.
February 7, 2004 8:37:48 PM

I think the only safe way to go from Nvidia to an ATI card is a wipe, and a fresh install. I went from a Ti 4200 to a 9600 XT and had no problems whatsoever.
a b U Graphics card
February 7, 2004 9:36:14 PM

I think the problem is a junk system. I mean, I'm completely surprised that your sound card works with your crap chipset. And a PIII 1000 would have been faster than your Celeron 1700.

Considering the crap your system represents, you could have all kinds of issues, from drivers to an inadequate power supply to cooling issues.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
!