Help Please

Hi all

Ever since have re installed my OS The programs that used to run before will
not start now

I get this message

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. This system file is not suitable for
running MSDOS and Microsoft windows application. Choose close to terminate
application

Any suggestions

Thanx in advance
2 answers Last reply
More about help please

    The autoexec.nt is missing or corrupt. Look in \windows\repair and copy the
    one there to \system32 and try again.

    "David Byrne" <davidbyrne40@3mail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi all
    >
    > Ever since have re installed my OS The programs that used to run before
    > will
    > not start now
    >
    > I get this message
    >

    > C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. This system file is not suitable for
    > running MSDOS and Microsoft windows application. Choose close to terminate
    > application
    >
    > Any suggestions
    >
    > Thanx in advance

    Seems to be an epidemic lately....

    This can be caused by a trojan.

    Get rid of the trojan.

    Update your antivirus software and run a full system scan.

    Copy the autoexec.nt file from C:\Windows\Repair to C:\Windows\System32.
    And set Attributes for autoexec.nt to Read-only.

    Read-only
    [[Specifies whether this file is read-only, which means that it cannot be
    changed or accidentally deleted.]]

    1. Right click the file.
    2. Properties.
    3. Select: ? Read-only.
    4. Click: Apply.
    5. Click: OK.

    16-bit MS-DOS Subsystem error while installing or running a DOS application
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/16bit.htm

    MS-DOS or 16-bit Windows-based program Error Message
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_m.htm#16bit

    Error message when you install or start an MS-DOS or 16-bit Windows-based
    program
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324767

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:Od8rnBGPFHA.2604@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
    David Byrne <davidbyrne40@3mail.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Hi all
    >
    > Ever since have re installed my OS The programs that used to run before
    > will not start now
    >
    > I get this message
    >

    > C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. This system file is not suitable for
    > running MSDOS and Microsoft windows application. Choose close to terminate
    > application
    >
    > Any suggestions
    >
    > Thanx in advance

Support System File Microsoft Windows XP