GIGABIT LAN that much faster?

Will I experience significantly faster exchange on my home LAN then with
100baseT thats there now?
Is there a bottle neck limitation in the PC that limits the max amount of
effective throughput to the point where it wont make much difference to hang
a GIGABIT LAN around it?
I have 4 PCs on a home LAN I was considering doing this for to improve HD
backup times I do to a server and to help with other shared bandwidth issues
we are starting to see with the kids playing online games, backups and such.

Any thoughts to suggest if this its worth the trouble to swap out NICs and
router to the GIGBIT world?.

Thank for any insights
15 answers Last reply
More about gigabit faster

    "jtsnow" <jtsnow@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Will I experience significantly faster exchange on my home LAN then with
    > 100baseT thats there now?
    > Is there a bottle neck limitation in the PC that limits the max amount of
    > effective throughput to the point where it wont make much difference to
    > hang a GIGABIT LAN around it?
    > I have 4 PCs on a home LAN I was considering doing this for to improve HD
    > backup times I do to a server and to help with other shared bandwidth
    > issues we are starting to see with the kids playing online games, backups
    > and such.
    >
    > Any thoughts to suggest if this its worth the trouble to swap out NICs and
    > router to the GIGBIT world?.
    >
    > Thank for any insights

    Well, I run a gigabit LAN at home. I do significant volumes of video and
    very large image processing and both play video and do backups over the LAN.
    100 was fine, but 1000 makes the backups faster. Since I have 1.5
    terabytes, it was useful to me.

    Tom

    "jtsnow" <jtsnow@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Will I experience significantly faster exchange on my home LAN then with
    > 100baseT thats there now?
    > Is there a bottle neck limitation in the PC that limits the max amount of
    > effective throughput to the point where it wont make much difference to
    > hang a GIGABIT LAN around it?
    > I have 4 PCs on a home LAN I was considering doing this for to improve HD
    > backup times I do to a server and to help with other shared bandwidth
    > issues we are starting to see with the kids playing online games, backups
    > and such.
    >
    > Any thoughts to suggest if this its worth the trouble to swap out NICs and
    > router to the GIGBIT world?.
    >
    > Thank for any insights

    well ... i think you are fighting a losing battle. Even thought there are
    32bit PCI gigabit adapters that you can put in your PC, you are still
    limited by the overall system bus. With 1 controller for fast disks, and 1
    controller for the gigabit, there isnt enough bandwidth for both to run at
    thier maximum potential.

    if you are going to go to the trouble, setup a proper server where all the
    data worth backing up resides, and do your backups locally on the server.

    - NuTs.

    > Well, I run a gigabit LAN at home. I do significant volumes of video and
    > very large image processing and both play video and do backups over the
    > LAN. 100 was fine, but 1000 makes the backups faster. Since I have 1.5
    > terabytes, it was useful to me.
    >
    > Tom

    What is your average mbps with Gigabit LAN Tom?

    Brian

    "Brian K" <iibntgyea4 REMOVE_THIS@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    >> Well, I run a gigabit LAN at home. I do significant volumes of video and
    >> very large image processing and both play video and do backups over the
    >> LAN. 100 was fine, but 1000 makes the backups faster. Since I have 1.5
    >> terabytes, it was useful to me.
    >>
    >> Tom
    >
    > What is your average mbps with Gigabit LAN Tom?
    >
    > Brian

    I have not measured it, but the difference is very obvious. Just copy a
    large file across the lan.

    Let's be objective Tom. Just check the networking tab of Task Manager. What
    percentage of 1 Gbps?

    Brian

    ">>

    > I have not measured it, but the difference is very obvious. Just copy a
    > large file across the lan.

    "jtsnow" <jtsnow@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >Will I experience significantly faster exchange on my home LAN then with
    >100baseT thats there now?

    As always, YMMV, but I get about 200 megabits doing file copies and
    such over my gigabit network, now that I have a few modern computers.
    Just don't expect 10X faster...

    While transferring files from the old computer to the new over a
    crossover cable I noted the drive light on the old computer (60gig
    5400rpm) never turned off. The Ethernet adapters connected at a
    Gigabit. Windows Task Manager showed three percent of the available
    bandwidth was used during the transfer.
    --David

    On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 17:52:16 -0800, "jtsnow" <jtsnow@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >Will I experience significantly faster exchange on my home LAN then with
    >100baseT thats there now?
    >Is there a bottle neck limitation in the PC that limits the max amount of
    >effective throughput to the point where it wont make much difference to hang
    >a GIGABIT LAN around it?
    >I have 4 PCs on a home LAN I was considering doing this for to improve HD
    >backup times I do to a server and to help with other shared bandwidth issues
    >we are starting to see with the kids playing online games, backups and such.
    >
    >Any thoughts to suggest if this its worth the trouble to swap out NICs and
    >router to the GIGBIT world?.
    >
    >Thank for any insights

    That's 3 times faster than my wired (100 ) LAN and 13 times faster than my
    wireless network. It's good to see a number for comparison purposes.

    Brian

    > Let's be objective Tom. Just check the networking tab of Task Manager.
    > What percentage of 1 Gbps?
    >
    > Brian
    >

    > ">>
    >>>

    >> I have not measured it, but the difference is very obvious. Just copy a
    >> large file across the lan.

    Sorry, two busy today to even run a simple test until now.

    I just copied a large file across the LAN. Both machines ran about 18-22%,
    so around 200mbps. Since 100BaseT isn't perfect, it likely runs under its
    rated 100, so at least double, if not triple the performance.

    That's without any LAN tuning, something I should do when I find the time.

    Tom

    > "Brian K" <iibntgyea4 REMOVE_THIS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Let's be objective Tom. Just check the networking tab of Task Manager.
    >> What percentage of 1 Gbps?
    >>>
    >>> I have not measured it, but the difference is very obvious. Just copy a
    >>> large file across the lan.
    >
    > Sorry, two busy today to even run a simple test until now.
    >
    > I just copied a large file across the LAN. Both machines ran about
    > 18-22%, so around 200mbps. Since 100BaseT isn't perfect, it likely runs
    > under its rated 100, so at least double, if not triple the performance.

    200 mbps is 25 MB/s, which is pretty close to the maximum throughput of a
    typical EIDE hard drive. You might be limited by your drives rather than
    the network.

    Thanks Tom. Yes my 100 LAN runs around 60-65% for a large file so you are 3
    times faster.

    Brian

    > I just copied a large file across the LAN. Both machines ran about
    > 18-22%, so around 200mbps. Since 100BaseT isn't perfect, it likely runs
    > under its rated 100, so at least double, if not triple the performance.
    >
    > That's without any LAN tuning, something I should do when I find the time.
    >
    > Tom

    3% is 30 mbps and probably as fast as the old HD can handle for non large
    files.

    Brian

    "Eddie Aftandilian" <aftandilian@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    >> "Brian K" <iibntgyea4 REMOVE_THIS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> Let's be objective Tom. Just check the networking tab of Task Manager.
    >>> What percentage of 1 Gbps?

    >> Sorry, two busy today to even run a simple test until now.
    >>
    >> I just copied a large file across the LAN. Both machines ran about
    >> 18-22%, so around 200mbps. Since 100BaseT isn't perfect, it likely runs
    >> under its rated 100, so at least double, if not triple the performance.
    >
    > 200 mbps is 25 MB/s, which is pretty close to the maximum throughput of a
    > typical EIDE hard drive. You might be limited by your drives rather than
    > the network.

    I suspect so. It's slower when one of the drives is USB2. I usually run
    backups from two drives on one machine to two on the other. Didn't test
    that.

    Tom

    Like Tom S. and the others, I see about 200Mbps on my gigabit LAN with large
    backups / file copies.

    Another gotcha is you have to watch out for what types of PCI slots you'll
    be sticking the gigabit PCI adapter in. A "desktop" gigabit adapter in a
    garden variety 33Mhz 32bit PCI slot will not run as fast as a server-class
    Intel Gigabit card in a PCI-X 64bit slot running at 66 or 100 Mhz.

    -- Paul

    "jtsnow" <jtsnow@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Will I experience significantly faster exchange on my home LAN then with
    > 100baseT thats there now?
    > Is there a bottle neck limitation in the PC that limits the max amount of
    > effective throughput to the point where it wont make much difference to
    > hang a GIGABIT LAN around it?
    > I have 4 PCs on a home LAN I was considering doing this for to improve HD
    > backup times I do to a server and to help with other shared bandwidth
    > issues we are starting to see with the kids playing online games, backups
    > and such.
    >
    > Any thoughts to suggest if this its worth the trouble to swap out NICs and
    > router to the GIGBIT world?.
    >
    > Thank for any insights

    PCI32 33MHz = 133MB/s
    PCI32 66MHz = 266MB/s
    PCI64 33MHz = 266MB/s
    PCI64 66MHz = 533MB/s
    PCI-X 133MHz = 1066MB/s

    The bandwidth in MB/s is what is available to all the devices connected to
    the PCI Bus. Some machines have multiple PCI Buses (servers and some
    workstation class machines), but your standard Dell desktops wont be among
    them.

    - Nuts

    "Paul" <paule-nospam@mindspring.com> wrote in message
    > Like Tom S. and the others, I see about 200Mbps on my gigabit LAN with
    > large backups / file copies.
    >
    > Another gotcha is you have to watch out for what types of PCI slots you'll
    > be sticking the gigabit PCI adapter in. A "desktop" gigabit adapter in a
    > garden variety 33Mhz 32bit PCI slot will not run as fast as a server-class
    > Intel Gigabit card in a PCI-X 64bit slot running at 66 or 100 Mhz.
    >
    > -- Paul
    >

    > "jtsnow" <jtsnow@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> Will I experience significantly faster exchange on my home LAN then with
    >> 100baseT thats there now?
    >> Is there a bottle neck limitation in the PC that limits the max amount of
    >> effective throughput to the point where it wont make much difference to
    >> hang a GIGABIT LAN around it?
    >> I have 4 PCs on a home LAN I was considering doing this for to improve HD
    >> backup times I do to a server and to help with other shared bandwidth
    >> issues we are starting to see with the kids playing online games, backups
    >> and such.
    >>
    >> Any thoughts to suggest if this its worth the trouble to swap out NICs
    >> and router to the GIGBIT world?.
    >>
    >> Thank for any insights

Dell LAN Computers