Hercules/Excalibur/ATi/Sapphire/Powercolor

mojo77uk

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2004
I know someone discussed this subject earlier on the forum but I'd like to include all the popular brands that sell 9800 Pro.

It seems ATI is best....

If this isn't affordable, then what comes 2nd, 3rd, 4th place? (That's if you have been lucky enough to have tried more than a few different branded graphic cards!!)

Well from what I've seen here's my op-onion;

<b>HIS</b>, (makers of the Excalibur [model not brand name]) the Ice-Q is a beautiful thing, definitely top notch, awesome overclocker, pretty quiet. The Excalibur on the other hand, good but not top notch. HIS' reputation isn't as storied as some, but they are know to be a solid maker, new to making products like the ICE-Q, but the Excalibur is workhorse kind of stuff. Can be found with VIVO feature on some cards.

<b>Hercules</b> with the 3D Prophet 9800PRo, top notch definitely. Both in build and in features. Usually a top overclocker, and the software package usually is tops too. Quality maker with good reputation.

<b>ASUS</b> they have started making R9800Pro after their initial focus on R9800XTs. Some come with the HL2 coupon, nice bonus for a PRO. ASUS provides them with VIVO unlike most (but some HIS above). Elaborate software package (hardware/temp monitoring, video security feature for home security), and their uniqe HSF solution similar to their XT model with dual fans making them good overclockers. A top notch maker with a good name (mainly from making good nV products). 3year warranty like ATI. The card I would personally buy IMO, just barely nudging out Hercules and HIS.

<b>Built By ATI</b> is the gold standard in most cases (except the R9600XT), quality parts you know what you're getting. Their R9800Pro is reviewed all over the place, generally a good overclocker, sparse software package, but good warranty (3years).

<b>Sapphire</b> usually a good card, usually equal to the BBA but with a little more software. However there can be minor niggling issues from time to time like any of their other cards. Warranty not quite as good as ATI.

<b>Tyan</b> makes good stuff, with nice effective heatsinks (unlike the R9600Pro) and HSF solution. You can get a regular R9800PRO (G9800PRO normal RED PCB) or one with a thermal diode for temperature monitoring and HSF fan speed control (G9800PRO-M on a blue PCB [diode is in the HSF though]), rememebr this is on a 9800PRO not XT! The regular G9800PRO is a great overclocker, the G9800PRO-M is hampered by the HSF assembly and doesn't overclock as high as the standard model because the HSF is aluminum, and sits on the memory with RUBBER feet. Good at stock speed (which is above reference BBA speed), but not good overclocker when using the temperature monitoring version with big blue HSF.

<b>VisionTek</b> Xtasy 9800 pro, a fairly recent convert from nVidia (recent for the R9800pro generation, asus is newer of course). Standard build few bells and whistles, but they have been turning out VERY good overclockers, many reviewers brushing up against 500mhz on the core and most being around 370 on the memory.

<b>Gigabyte</b> offers a pretty good card with lots of feature and software including a packaged overclocking utility (V-tuner), they use their own custom cooler (looks like gold or brass, but it's just coated aluminium). I have seen some reviewers get 3.0ns memory instead of the regular 2.86ns stuff, but thatis rare, and appeared mainly in early reviews, but that would affect overclcoking.

<b>Gigacube/GeXcube/Gigapuke</b> Not a fan of their, don't like a few of their practices, don't trust their build quality, think of it as the same as OEM. This is definitely NOT Gigabyte, like they try to make people believe. Stay away unless you like Russian roulette.

<b>Powercolor</b> a hit and miss brand, slightly better than Gigpuke IMO. Powercolor is notorious for underclocking their graphics cards and selling them as 'PRO's, the original PC 'R9700Pro' was really an R9700non-pro, it later had a name change to the R9700GOLD . Their cards can even arrive at reviewer's benches underclocked that way. <A HREF="http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NDgz" target="_new"> :eek: </A>

<b>Connect3D</b> Very barebones maker. Don't hear much bad about them, but definitely a workhorse general purpose vendor, with very little software or accesories, very basic cards. Just a step up from OEM IMO.

<b>Club3D</b>, do NOT confuse this with Connect3D, Club3D is a barebones, but mediocre maker. Their cards are made by Powercolor's manufacturing arm. I have not heard good things about them, and considering their build partner I'm not surprised

<b>Crucial</b> Just rebranded Sapphires IIRC. Pretty barebones too. Very much like Connect3D in that they have sparse offering but OK cards.

<b>Creative</b> The 3D Blaster RX9800PRo is only availible in Europe (north America get the nV FX line). Quality build with ok software package. Not enough reviews to pas final judgement. One issue I did noptice was that they prefer their own drivers to ATI's reference Catalyst (don't know why since they don't have special features like VIVO or hardware monitoring.

Anywhoo, that's what I've gleaned from my readings over time.

A good source for reviews based on brand (but the link is a little old so benchmarks may no longer be as accurate and some of the links linked to may be dead) is here;

<A HREF="http://www.8dimensional.com/ATi_Radeon_9800.html" target="_new">http://www.8dimensional.com/ATi_Radeon_9800.html</A>

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

Hey I didn't do it for you!

I did it for <A HREF="http://www.gotwavs.com/TV_Shows/Seinfeld/ladies.wav" target="_new"><i>The Ladies</i></A><b>!</b> :evil:

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

mojo77uk

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2004
'The ladies' bow to your superior and extensive knowledge, (in the graphics card department that is).

I can only hope that others will benifit from your great wisdom...Oh Great One...(I mean GreatGrapeApe).

kostasthegreek

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2004
Wao!You definately let me standing with my mouth open!GreatGrapeApe you know so many things about the video cards vendors. :eek:

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by kostasthegreek on 02/01/04 07:02 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

coolsquirtle

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2003
PSH~~ i have a Name brand FAQ a while ago and no one supported it so its gone = =

RIP Block Heater....HELLO P4~~~~~
120% nVidia Fanboy
never tried to go crazy when it comes to o/cing.
THGC's resident Asian and Graphics Forum's resident nVboy :D

kostasthegreek

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2004
Bad for them.I think it was a very good idea that you had. A FAQ from which the users can learn details about the products that video cards vendors manufacture is important.