USB memory stick suddenly not working after using a friend..

I have a Lexarmedia Jumpdrive 256 MB. I have used it as a backup for my
school work and to work on it when I am not at my home computer.

I have had no problems with going back and forth between home and school
computers, but the other day I used it on my friends laptop, saved my work
and pulled out the stick. When I got home, I plugged it into my home
computer, and (I have XP) a window popped up at the bottom saying the USB
device had been detected, and then a brief window opened showing "scanning"
of one of the folders I had saved on the stick, but then another window
popped up saying please insert disk into drive e. (where the stick was
already plugged in). When I go to My Computer, it shows up as a removable
storage device in my e drive, but when I double click to open the drive, it
still doesn't open.

I went back to my friend's laptop, plugged in the jumpdrive, and voila!
everything was there. So for the time being, I have copied all the contents
of my jumpdrive to a CD.

But what is the underlying issue here? Why can I now only view it on her
computer? I do know that she has not updated her computer with XP Service
Pack 2. Is there some kind of incompatibility when using USB ports and
switching between computers that do and do not have SP2? If so, how can I
remedy this?

Had similar problem and was ready to bin my 256mb stick until I tried a low
level format using the supplied software.

Seems to have done the trick, tho still don`t know why it happened.

Can you elaborate on this? I'm not sure what software you mean...it came
with the memory stick? I don't think mine came with anything. just the
stick itself all packaged up. and when you say low level, do you mean low
speed as compared to high speed?

"Catherine" <Catherine@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> Can you elaborate on this? I'm not sure what software you mean...it came
> with the memory stick? I don't think mine came with anything. just the
> stick itself all packaged up. and when you say low level, do you mean low
> speed as compared to high speed?

The drive that I bought came with a cd containing drivers for windows 98 and
software for partitioning and formatting the drive.

Low level format meaning to wipe the contents of the memory stick and reset
the disk format.

Check the manufacturers web site to see if there are any software downloads
or FAQs that may help.