How to transfer files from old to new pc.

A friend is getting a new computer. She now has one running windows xp pro
and the new one will use the home edition. I have a usb to usb file transfer
cable with software. Can this be used to transfer her files over and if so,
how do I use it for this. I have never used it. She has a lot of geneology
things on her old one that she wants transferred, & maybe a few other things.
--
Ruth
2 answers Last reply

    If both machines have a built-in NIC you connect them together in a local
    network using a cross-over cable (available at Best Buy, Circuit City, etc)
    and then transfer whatever you want.

    The USB to USB type cable may not be compatible with XP - at least the one I
    used to use was not as the drivers were not updated for XP.

    "rubeckf" <rubeckf@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >A friend is getting a new computer. She now has one running windows xp pro
    > and the new one will use the home edition. I have a usb to usb file
    > transfer
    > cable with software. Can this be used to transfer her files over and if
    > so,
    > how do I use it for this. I have never used it. She has a lot of
    > geneology
    > things on her old one that she wants transferred, & maybe a few other
    > things.
    > --
    > Ruth

    "rubeckf" <rubeckf@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >A friend is getting a new computer. She now has one running windows xp pro
    > and the new one will use the home edition. I have a usb to usb file
    > transfer
    > cable with software. Can this be used to transfer her files over and if
    > so,
    > how do I use it for this. I have never used it. She has a lot of
    > geneology
    > things on her old one that she wants transferred, & maybe a few other
    > things.
    > --
    > Ruth

    HOW TO: Use Files and Settings Transfer Wizard in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=293118

    --
    William

Windows XP