How to transfer files from old to new pc.

April 8, 2005 4:47:04 PM

A friend is getting a new computer. She now has one running windows xp pro
and the new one will use the home edition. I have a usb to usb file transfer
cable with software. Can this be used to transfer her files over and if so,
how do I use it for this. I have never used it. She has a lot of geneology
things on her old one that she wants transferred, & maybe a few other things.
--
Ruth

More about : transfer files

April 8, 2005 4:59:27 PM

If both machines have a built-in NIC you connect them together in a local
network using a cross-over cable (available at Best Buy, Circuit City, etc)
and then transfer whatever you want.

The USB to USB type cable may not be compatible with XP - at least the one I
used to use was not as the drivers were not updated for XP.

"rubeckf" <rubeckf@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>A friend is getting a new computer. She now has one running windows xp pro
> and the new one will use the home edition. I have a usb to usb file
> transfer
> cable with software. Can this be used to transfer her files over and if
> so,
> how do I use it for this. I have never used it. She has a lot of
> geneology
> things on her old one that she wants transferred, & maybe a few other
> things.
> --
> Ruth
Anonymous
April 8, 2005 5:26:59 PM

"rubeckf" <rubeckf@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>A friend is getting a new computer. She now has one running windows xp pro
> and the new one will use the home edition. I have a usb to usb file
> transfer
> cable with software. Can this be used to transfer her files over and if
> so,
> how do I use it for this. I have never used it. She has a lot of
> geneology
> things on her old one that she wants transferred, & maybe a few other
> things.
> --
> Ruth

HOW TO: Use Files and Settings Transfer Wizard in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=293118

--
William